Olive Oil - Eveyrone uses it in videos for low cal foods - But it has 120 Cal per TBSP.

Options

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I asked for fish to be cooked healthy at a restaurant.
    They stated they can grill it with olive oil.
    It came back in a pool, floating in olive oil.
    Fat phobia? I don't think that exists.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wonder if that cook was purposely telling you, "Screw you, this isn't your personal spa, order off the menu." ;)
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Naley2322 wrote: »
    UG77 wrote: »
    I've cut all oils out of my daily eating. Empty calories with no nutritional value is my reasoning. You can actually water saute.

THIS!

<loses all hope for Humanity. (newsflash: dietary fat is essential meaning it has absolute nutritional value. sigh)

I've never heard of "absolute nutritional value", but that EFAs are named 'essential' because the body can't synthesize them from other compounds, they have to exist in the diet.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I stopped the oil cooking and using extra butter in cooking. It was putting a ton calories I was not counting on the diary thus created a big ??? why I was not loosing weight.

I actually saute' using chicken broth. I will add spices and sometime will use whorchesterchire or soy sauce depending on what I am cooking. Use 0 calorie PAM and if it is fish night about 2 or 3 tsp is for blackening.

Have you ever noticed on TV when they say "use 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan", it looks like they are adding about 1/4 cup or more?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I stopped the oil cooking and using extra butter in cooking. It was putting a ton calories I was not counting on the diary thus created a big ??? why I was not loosing weight.

I actually saute' using chicken broth. I will add spices and sometime will use whorchesterchire or soy sauce depending on what I am cooking. Use 0 calorie PAM and if it is fish night about 2 or 3 tsp is for blackening.

Have you ever noticed on TV when they say "use 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan", it looks like they are adding about 1/4 cup or more?

from my post:

"Make sure that you measure very carefully i see "Just add a tablespoon of olive oil" *free hand pours 3-4 tablespoons* all the time by chefs/youtubers. "

This is a huge pet peeve of mine!
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I wonder if the people on video pouring have different bottles than you. I use a pretty glass bottle with a liquor pour spout and I figure twice around the pan is a tablespoon or two, based on something from Rachael Ray or some other Food Network chef. But I rarely count calories so it's not like I'm aiming for some real accuracy, either.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Virgin olive oil and nuts are anti-inflammatory for your cardiovascular system. Use it, measure it, count it, and enjoy it. Do you have to use so much? I use a tablespoon in 6 cups of veggies to roast and half a teaspoon to 'finish' a plate. Pay attention to what might be in your margarine. Calories aren't everything.
  • bucci44scott
    bucci44scott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started dieting making vegetables - sauté in a pan with Olive Oil, Roast in the oven with Olive Oil. All of the videos I watched on Youtube of low cal veggies showed this. I didn't log my Olive oil on my tracker. Then one day I looked at the bottle -120 cal per TBSP. That is ALOT of calories. Spinach goes from 30 cals to 150 cals... Did anyone else ever come to this realization? I am using I cant believe its not butter now - 35 cal per TBSP which is better. Im just curious why Olive Oil is so popular?

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    life sucks for people who worry too much.

Agreed. I use olive oil and butter when preparing delicious foods. Because olive oil and butter are delicious. I count them and enjoy them.

• mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »

from my post:

"Make sure that you measure very carefully i see "Just add a tablespoon of olive oil" *free hand pours 3-4 tablespoons* all the time by chefs/youtubers. "

This is a huge pet peeve of mine!

That doesn't mean YOU have to pour gobs of it on your stuff.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    just about every cooking oil has 120cal per TBSP. olive oil, butter, corn oil, canola oil, all about the same.

1 TBSP of oil is a lot of oil. use less. 1 tsp of oil is more like 35-40 calories, and still plenty of oil. mix it with vinegar to put on your spinach for a tasty dressing that makes it go farther.

it is shown in healthy cooking not because it is low in calories but because it is high in monounsaturated fat which is thought to promote heart health. but monounsaturated fat still has the same calories.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Will the fat phobia ever die.... (never as long as it's only about calories in/out I guess. Cuz that's been working so terrifically over the last 40 years since we all started counting calories. "The definition of insanity.....")

...what???....

Fat phobia. Do you remember the sudden pressure to buy low fat, reduced fat, fat free items 20 years ago? Maybe before that. We were taught that fat is bad. Avoid it. When they removed the fats in foods, they added sugars. Fat helps you feel full. You can eat plenty of fat and loose weight. Fat is not something to be scared of. Use it sparingly. A little of the real stuff goes a long way.

The other day someone tried to convince me that a lower calorie yogurt based butter substitute was healthier than a tablespoon of real butter because it only had 50 calories. It's a heavily processed food. Butter is the fat that separates from cream once you get past whipped cream. Why are so many people trained to pick a processed junk food over a simple whole ingredient like butter or an olive oil?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Will the fat phobia ever die.... (never as long as it's only about calories in/out I guess. Cuz that's been working so terrifically over the last 40 years since we all started counting calories. "The definition of insanity.....")

...what???....

Fat phobia. Do you remember the sudden pressure to buy low fat, reduced fat, fat free items 20 years ago? Maybe before that. We were taught that fat is bad. Avoid it. When they removed the fats in foods, they added sugars. Fat helps you feel full. You can eat plenty of fat and loose weight. Fat is not something to be scared of. Use it sparingly. A little of the real stuff goes a long way.

The other day someone tried to convince me that a lower calorie yogurt based butter substitute was healthier than a tablespoon of real butter because it only had 50 calories. It's a heavily processed food. Butter is the fat that separates from cream once you get past whipped cream. Why are so many people trained to pick a processed junk food over a simple whole ingredient like butter or an olive oil?

To add to this, at some point olive oil benefits were recognised as compared e.g. to margarine. However, what many people seem to miss is that in a diet where a large percentage of daily calories is coming from olive oil, automatically limits calories from other sources. Eating more fat means there is less room for other things, you do not just add the fat on top of whatever.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I am a butter believer.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    For roasting I just use olive oil spray.

Otherwise, when I use olive oil, it's 1 tsp per serving of food, usually.

I am a butter believer. 5g of butter goes a long way.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I cook with oils that can withstand higher temperatures for saute' or stir-fry and save the olive oil or fragile nut oils for my salad dressing mixes. I also use butter when there is a need for it's flavoring capabilities, but use it much more sparingly in both volume and frequency.

Canola oil is also a pretty good oil to use, it has a higher heat tolerance and is tasteless. About the same calories.

And like any thing you eat, moderation is the key.
    For example, if I am making a soup that will make 8 servings, and I use 1 tablespoon of oil to saute my vegetables before adding to the pot, that 120 calories will be divided 8 ways before I eat the soup; but would have done it's job of bringing out the flavors in the vegetables.
  • donalynvaughn
    donalynvaughn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is a healthy fat, and you need healthy fats. I use 1 TBS when cooking a recipe for the whole family, but just a tsp when cooking a single serving. On salads, the vitamins in dark leafy greens are fat soluble, so a little olive oil is a great way to get your body to absorb the vitamins - or if you prefer fat-free dressings - add avocado or nuts. You just need to make sure to log everything you eat. I've lost 74 pounds eating olive oil every day.
  • donalynvaughn
    donalynvaughn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You know what makes me sad... "water satuee" how is that a thing.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

It's a thing because people believe they have to be on a super restrictive diet to lose weight.

It is not the oil in the stir fry that makes you fat. It is the fact that you eat all 5 servings yourself.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

It's a thing because people believe they have to be on a super restrictive diet to lose weight.

It is not the oil in the stir fry that makes you fat. It is the fact that you eat all 5 servings yourself.

Sorry, it's actually because i would rather eat those hundred calories somewhere else...

Just because it isn't what you do, doesn't mean it's wrong or we all have super restrictive diets.