Olive Oil - Eveyrone uses it in videos for low cal foods - But it has 120 Cal per TBSP.

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I'd say part of the olive oil craze has to do with the idea of eating healthily to lose weight. Meanwhile you're adding tons of calories from healthy food items, not realizing that in some cases the calories add up to an amount that still keeps you at an undesirable weight.

Sure, if you're putting a cup of oil on your food per day. Using it to saute, as a dressing, drizzled on your vegetables isn't going to harm you. I use it daily and haven't become obese because of it.

It's like anything you eat: moderation is key. Heck you can get fat eating vegetables.

A cup is the only quantity that can add excess calories to a person's diet?

You're obviously missing the point and apparently the rest of my post.

Or you were missing mine, hence the need to exaggerate using a ludicrous quantity of oil that no one would ever use in one serving of food. As though a tablespoon here and there wouldn't have the same effect.

But it wouldn't. You're stating that you're adding "tons of calories" to your food by using one tablespoon of olive oil which is a whopping 120 calories. How is that any different then say eating "a few chips" or "a few crackers" here and there? I'm pretty sure no one who uses the stuff thinks it's devoid of calories.

One more time: Adding tons of calories to your diet by eating what?
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    1. if you're trying to lose weight, why would you not check the calories on something? everything should checked and measured
    2. everything in moderation - you typically don't use a whole tablespoon of oil to lightly grill or roast veggies (hopefully) and a little oil goes a long way
    3. I personally don't use much oil on my veggies cause it kinda grosses me out (in my head they get slimy with oil, but I know that's just my own personal crazy and i felt that way long before I started paying attention to calories); try seasonings to add flavor... but that being said don't shy away from olive oil in general - i use it nearly every day on my lunch pasta and it's delicious and healthy way to get good fats into your diet!
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »
    I've cut all oils out of my daily eating. Empty calories with no nutritional value is my reasoning. You can actually water saute.

THIS!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Naley2322 wrote: »
    I've cut all oils out of my daily eating. Empty calories with no nutritional value is my reasoning. You can actually water saute.

THIS!

This is so 1990's..........http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/low-fat/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    10ggjwgtjklu.jpg
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I do not cook with olive oil because the smoke point is not high enough. At too high a temperature, olive oil will oxidize, causing inflammation and ultimately cell damage when consumed too often this way. Olive is best on light sautees and cold applications like salad. I keep it in a spritzer bottle and use as needed.

For pan searing, blackened dishes and anything else that requires high heat, use one of the nut oils, grapeseed or avocado oil. They have the higher smoke points which means less cell inflammation.

I had to go through many sources to determine this because each one I researched, they all told me different things. After plodding through some scientists' explanations of things at the cellular level (eyes glazed over) and talking with a food scientist, I feel fairly confident about my conclusions but many people always seem to argue with me about it. I simply look at my body changes, losing over 50 pounds, maintaining my weight for a year AND looking at my blood work to see that what I am doing works for me.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

nope. Olive oil is not empty calories.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    As others have already said, you don't need a tablespoon unless you're making a very large amount of something. A teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil (only 40 calories) goes a long way with flavor. And it has a lot of health benefits and helps you feel full. So I disagree with the person saying it is empty calories.

Everyone finds different foods to be more or less worth their calories. But EVOO is actually not very hard to slide into your calories if you enjoy it.

yup ^ 1 TBS is actually a lot.. I eat .5 or 1 tsp in my salads and its a fine amount.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Will the fat phobia ever die.... (never as long as it's only about calories in/out I guess. Cuz that's been working so terrifically over the last 40 years since we all started counting calories. "The definition of insanity.....")
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I'd say part of the olive oil craze has to do with the idea of eating healthily to lose weight. Meanwhile you're adding tons of calories from healthy food items, not realizing that in some cases the calories add up to an amount that still keeps you at an undesirable weight.

Haven't most folks cooked in oil for generations?

Yup. And most folks have eaten food for generations, but here it is making folks fat when calories are consumed in excess. Cooking food in oil - includes deep fried food, I imagine? That stuff's notorious for being a source of excess calories!

Ok, so all my high fat eating ancestors who had no ability to count calories were also never fat. Some were super active, some were not. Obesity didn't show up in my family until the 1950s, when they were starting to cut back on fat, switched from lard/butter to Crisco when they did, and started eating more processed grain/sugar based food, then came calorie counting and high carb/low fat calorie restricted diets (extremely restricted for women of course). So, you still theorize it's the fat and the calories?

I eat LOTS of healthy fats (which for me personally is animal sourced, and rarely olive oil).... and NO, nothing deep fried, with or without batter. Yeah, if deep fried foods from the fast food joints (which would be rapeseed-aka canola, soy, or other very unhealthy plant oils) are what you are basing your opinion on, ok I get what you are saying then.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Naley2322 wrote: »

THIS!

<loses all hope for Humanity. (newsflash: dietary fat is essential meaning it has absolute nutritional value. sigh)
  • kittnNcourgartown
    kittnNcourgartown Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use avocado oil for anything I put in the "frying" pan
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Yup. And most folks have eaten food for generations, but here it is making folks fat when calories are consumed in excess. Cooking food in oil - includes deep fried food, I imagine? That stuff's notorious for being a source of excess calories!

Ok, so all my high fat eating ancestors who had no ability to count calories were also never fat. Some were super active, some were not. Obesity didn't show up in my family until the 1950s, when they were starting to cut back on fat, switched from lard/butter to Crisco when they did, and started eating more processed grain/sugar based food, then came calorie counting and high carb/low fat calorie restricted diets (extremely restricted for women of course). So, you still theorize it's the fat and the calories?

I eat LOTS of healthy fats (which for me personally is animal sourced, and rarely olive oil).... and NO, nothing deep fried, with or without batter. Yeah, if deep fried foods from the fast food joints (which would be rapeseed-aka canola, soy, or other very unhealthy plant oils) are what you are basing your opinion on, ok I get what you are saying then.

Indeed, I was referencing deep frying. And not necessarily just fast food joints, frankly. On a personal note, I do find deep fried foods to be a logging nightmare and would love practical solutions for that
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Indeed, I was referencing deep frying. And not necessarily just fast food joints, frankly. On a personal note, I do find deep fried foods to be a logging nightmare and would love practical solutions for that

Deep fried foods are, in my view, one of the hardest things to log. It's not even like you could weigh it before and after and calculate any increase in weight as added oil, because the cooking process changes the weight of the initial product in any event. In a moment of being technical, I figured the only real way would be to weigh the oil before and after cooking to see how much had transferred to the food. Of course, the temperature logistics of messing about with hot oil make that problematic in itself.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I don't deep fry any more. The calorie count would be anyones guess. You could probably figure it out by weighing the deep fryer, then weighing it with the oil, then weighing it again after you've cooked. More work for me to bother with...

• niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I put olive oil in a nifty spray bottle for some things. It's so much easier to get just the right amount for roasting tasty veggies.

Olive oil is real food and a healthy fat that fills you up nicely. ICBINB is frankenfood. Don't eat frankenfood. :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Will the fat phobia ever die.... (never as long as it's only about calories in/out I guess. Cuz that's been working so terrifically over the last 40 years since we all started counting calories. "The definition of insanity.....")

...what???....
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Our family is half Spanish. We have very friendly relationship with olive oil! I remember watching my grandmother cook with it exclusively - she used no other oil for food. I use it a lot too, though in much smaller quantities than she did. Like her, I really don't use any other oil. I do have some avocado and walnut oil in the house for variations in salad dressing. But no canola, no "vegetable oil", no peanut oil, etc. (And, of course, we all prefer to buy olive oil with a pedigree from Spain...).
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I don't deep fry any more. The calorie count would be anyones guess. You could probably figure it out by weighing the deep fryer, then weighing it with the oil, then weighing it again after you've cooked. More work for me to bother with...

I never deep fried anyway, but the logging nightmare is another reason not to start! I'd probably just see if the UDSA has some estimates for deep fried foods of the type or else compare with restaurant entries.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Here's a chart with smoke points of oil. It doesn't list olive oil (other than EVOO), but the non extra virgin has a higher smoke point, comparable with avocado oil or actually higher in some cases.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html

I don't normally use super high heat cooking, so coconut oil or EVOO usually works fine for me, although I probably have some other oils around at any given time.