Olive Oil - Eveyrone uses it in videos for low cal foods - But it has 120 Cal per TBSP.

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I'd say part of the olive oil craze has to do with the idea of eating healthily to lose weight. Meanwhile you're adding tons of calories from healthy food items, not realizing that in some cases the calories add up to an amount that still keeps you at an undesirable weight.

Haven't most folks cooked in oil for generations?

Yup. And most folks have eaten food for generations, but here it is making folks fat when calories are consumed in excess. Cooking food in oil - includes deep fried food, I imagine? That stuff's notorious for being a source of excess calories!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I'd say part of the olive oil craze has to do with the idea of eating healthily to lose weight. Meanwhile you're adding tons of calories from healthy food items, not realizing that in some cases the calories add up to an amount that still keeps you at an undesirable weight.

Sure, if you're putting a cup of oil on your food per day. Using it to saute, as a dressing, drizzled on your vegetables isn't going to harm you. I use it daily and haven't become obese because of it.

It's like anything you eat: moderation is key. Heck you can get fat eating vegetables.

A cup is the only quantity that can add excess calories to a person's diet?
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Sure, if you're putting a cup of oil on your food per day. Using it to saute, as a dressing, drizzled on your vegetables isn't going to harm you. I use it daily and haven't become obese because of it.

It's like anything you eat: moderation is key. Heck you can get fat eating vegetables.

You're obviously missing the point and apparently the rest of my post.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is a healthy fat. It has calories, so does everything. Many foods that are "good for you" have a lot of calories.
    A good habit to get into when trying to lose weight is reading labels, before you eat the food, or even purchase it. There are serving sizes on labels, calorie content, and other information to help us make better choices that fit in with our weight loss goals. The same information is at our fingertips, for fresh food and meat.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    If you are going to use oil it is certainly one of the most healthy and the taste is good. We have gone to zero calorie sprays when we need an oil.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Haven't most folks cooked in oil for generations?

I think so. Northern Europeans (and some Americans, as a result) perhaps have been more apt to use butter and lard.

I don't get this idea that olive oil is simply a trendy food (or the surprise that oil, pure fat, has lots of calories per gram).

I also love olive oil.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    gemdiver00 wrote: »
    EVOO made with olives from Spain is the best. I also dip bread into olive oil with black pepper.

Actually you need to be careful with olive oil from places like Italy and Spain. They're controlled by a mafia and the "extra virgin olive oil" that you get may, in fact, be mixed with a sub-par oil or have just a little bit of extra virgin in it. Locally produced olive oil from small farms is more than likely the real-deal. If you're buying oil produced in California it has to have a California Olive Oil Certification which ensures it is 100% pure. I had no idea the brand that I was buying wasn't pure. Now I'm going to switch to California.

If you want to see something interesting, read the report sent out by the University of California-Davis Olive Center. To sum up its findings, 73% of all olive oil sold in the US as EVOO was low quality and not extra virgin. This was across the board, both US produced and imported. The problem with "100% pure" is that it doesn't guarantee it is the quality of EVOO. According to the study:

"Our testing indicated that the samples failed extra virgin olive oil standards according to one or more of the following:
    (a) oxidation by exposure to elevated temperatures, light, and/or aging;
    (b) adulteration with cheaper refined olive oil;
    (c) poor quality oil made from damaged and overripe olives, processing flaws, and/or improper oil storage."

All of these, except the ones adulterated, would be considered "pure"

I posted about this book, which I read, on another recent thread. It is something to watch out for: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/books/extra-virginity-by-tom-mueller-a-word-on-olive-oil-review.html?_r=0
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I started dieting making vegetables - sauté in a pan with Olive Oil, Roast in the oven with Olive Oil. All of the videos I watched on Youtube of low cal veggies showed this. I didn't log my Olive oil on my tracker. Then one day I looked at the bottle -120 cal per TBSP. That is ALOT of calories. Spinach goes from 30 cals to 150 cals... Did anyone else ever come to this realization? I am using I cant believe its not butter now - 35 cal per TBSP which is better. Im just curious why Olive Oil is so popular?

Your "spread" has lower calories because it has so much water. If you mixed olive oil & water you could lower the calories.

That said, you don't need a ton of olive oil. A little goes a long way. Besides olive oil is such a healthy fat.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I got a couple of pieces of fried fish at Long John Silvers last week - huge mistake and evidence of why a healthy diet limits fats, but a healthy diet does include some fat. Fat is an essential nutrient and olive oil is one of the best.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    EVOO made with olives from Spain is the best. I also dip bread into olive oil with black pepper.

Actually you need to be careful with olive oil from places like Italy and Spain. They're controlled by a mafia and the "extra virgin olive oil" that you get may, in fact, be mixed with a sub-par oil or have just a little bit of extra virgin in it. Locally produced olive oil from small farms is more than likely the real-deal. If you're buying oil produced in California it has to have a California Olive Oil Certification which ensures it is 100% pure. I had no idea the brand that I was buying wasn't pure. Now I'm going to switch to California.

If you want to see something interesting, read the report sent out by the University of California-Davis Olive Center. To sum up its findings, 73% of all olive oil sold in the US as EVOO was low quality and not extra virgin. This was across the board, both US produced and imported. The problem with "100% pure" is that it doesn't guarantee it is the quality of EVOO. According to the study:

"Our testing indicated that the samples failed extra virgin olive oil standards according to one or more of the following:
    (c) poor quality oil made from damaged and overripe olives, processing flaws, and/or improper oil storage."

I posted about this book, which I read, on another recent thread. It is something to watch out for: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/books/extra-virginity-by-tom-mueller-a-word-on-olive-oil-review.html?_r=0

Some of his claims were disproven, like 69% of imported olive oil is adulterated with oils that don't come from olives. http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-basics/new-york-times-revises-olive-oil-fraud-infographic/38492
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Or you were missing mine, hence the need to exaggerate using a ludicrous quantity of oil that no one would ever use in one serving of food. As though a tablespoon here and there wouldn't have the same effect.
  • daltonjsmom
    daltonjsmom Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I have a Misto oil mister that I use to limit the amount of olive oil I put in my food. When sauteing I spray a bit in a pan, rather than pour out oil from the bottle.

Me, too. If I am roasting vegetables with a bit more oil, I usually eat that as an entree, not a side dish because of the higher calorie content. However, it is delicious and a very nutritious substitution for something like meat or pasta. I usually save one other serving for lunch and feed the rest to my son and husband who can afford the calories better than I can.

Olive oil has been shown to be heart healthy, reducing cholesterol and reduced levels of atherosclerosis.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Some of his claims were disproven, like 69% of imported olive oil is adulterated with oils that don't come from olives. http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-basics/new-york-times-revises-olive-oil-fraud-infographic/38492

Excellent, thanks!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »
    I've cut all oils out of my daily eating. Empty calories with no nutritional value is my reasoning. You can actually water saute.

This couldn't be more false.
    Olive oil is chock full of essential fatty acids necessary for heart health, brain function, hormone production, healthy joints, vitamin absorption and more.

Empty calories with no nutritional value? I think not.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    UG77 wrote: »
    I've cut all oils out of my daily eating. Empty calories with no nutritional value is my reasoning. You can actually water saute.

This couldn't be more false.
    Olive oil is chock full of essential fatty acids necessary for heart health, brain function, hormone production, healthy joints, vitamin absorption and more.

Empty calories with no nutritional value? I think not.

Yep! @UG77 you NEED to have a decent amount of fat in your diet

• bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I started dieting making vegetables - sauté in a pan with Olive Oil, Roast in the oven with Olive Oil. All of the videos I watched on Youtube of low cal veggies showed this. I didn't log my Olive oil on my tracker. Then one day I looked at the bottle -120 cal per TBSP. That is ALOT of calories. Spinach goes from 30 cals to 150 cals... Did anyone else ever come to this realization? I am using I cant believe its not butter now - 35 cal per TBSP which is better. Im just curious why Olive Oil is so popular?

Olive oil has no carbs. It is a super heathy fat. Great for your heart. I have used imported olive oil for over 10 years. My cholesterol dropped 40 points by using the real olive oils from Italy and other countries and from the California Olive Ranch. I also studied nutrition in college. I would not put I can't believe it's butter in my body. I use real butter, and genuine olive oils. Low calorie does not always constitute healthy. And after the introduction of artificial sweeteners, obesity in America has increased. I would never put an artificial sweetener in my body. I read every label. And I avoid artificial colors, especially Red#40.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Olive oil has no carbs. It is a super heathy fat. Great for your heart. I have used imported olive oil for over 10 years. My cholesterol dropped 40 points by using the real olive oils from Italy and other countries and from the California Olive Ranch. I also studied nutrition in college. I would not put I can't believe it's butter in my body. I use real butter, and genuine olive oils. Low calorie does not always constitute healthy. And after the introduction of artificial sweeteners, obesity in America has increased. I would never put an artificial sweetener in my body. I read every label. And I avoid artificial colors, especially Red#40.

After the introduction of Air Jordans, obesity in America has increased.

After the introduction of hand sanitizers, obesity in America has increased.

After the introduction of the "Scary Movie" franchise, obesity in America has increased.

It's a pretty meaningless formulation. Do you mean to say there is an association between artificial sweeteners and obesity?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Don't be afraid of healthy fat, use as much as you need to make your food tasty, and still meet your protein and carb goals. My diet is very high in fat, and I lost 30lbs in 3 months, with a calorie intake of 1800 cals or more, eating that way. I choose nuts, seeds, avocado, coconut oil, butter/ghee, olive oil, etc

I am not in favor of eating those fake foods, industrial oils, I don't think they are good for you. Why not use natural foods? The notion that eating fat makes you fat is false, as I discovered for myself not too long ago. The calories in my diet are 40% fat or more, depending on how much carb intake I set for myself.
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Or you were missing mine, hence the need to exaggerate using a ludicrous quantity of oil that no one would ever use in one serving of food. As though a tablespoon here and there wouldn't have the same effect.

But it wouldn't. You're stating that you're adding "tons of calories" to your food by using one tablespoon of olive oil which is a whopping 120 calories. How is that any different then say eating "a few chips" or "a few crackers" here and there? I'm pretty sure no one who uses the stuff thinks it's devoid of calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Because fats are delicious.

I'm more concerned about how you didn't realize how much a tablespoon of fat was.