Do I log what I eat on my cheat days?

Typically I only log my food on days I'm eating healthy and working out. On my cheat day I don't.

Replies

• wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    You should log everything you eat. How else will you be able to look back and see what was going on? Plus you'll never know if you're blowing the whole week's deficit if you aren't keeping track.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    I log everything just to stay accountable.
  • lilcd10
    lilcd10 Posts: 29 Member
    wrenak wrote: »
    You should log everything you eat. How else will you be able to look back and see what was going on? Plus you'll never know if you're blowing the whole week's deficit if you aren't keeping track.

Makes perfect sense thanks!
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Yes, because you gotta sign in to your Mfp anyway to keep that hard earned streak going because at the end of the day that's what really matters most.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    lilcd10 wrote: »
    Typically I only log my food on days I'm eating healthy and working out. On my cheat day I don't.

I try to, though sometimes it's only a rough estimate. But I view my weight loss as one big experiment and I need the best data I can manage so I'll know how to adjust things later.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member

This is very true.
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    If you log everything youll know how bad your cheat days are! It also means you may not have as bad a cheat day :)
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Jbell0213 wrote: »
    I log everything just to stay accountable.

+1
  • lilcd10
    Thanks guys your replies are really helpful
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    I do so that when I ask "hey what am I doing wrong" the internet trolls will keep me in check. Lol
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    I do, but sometimes on vacation, I have cheat weeks. In that case, I just start over when I get back from vacation.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I don't cheat, I just eat, and logging everything accurately helps keep me on track. I have had days where I didn't track, and then when I would look back over time to see where my calories were, I would be missing days and I didn't like it. Who knows just how much I ate those days? Now I will always know, even if I eat a metric ton of food. (Wonder what the calories on a metric ton of hot fudge lava cake would be? Never mind, I don't really want to know the answer to that one. ;) )
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    I don't have "cheat days" in the sense of scheduled days when I eat just anything, but there are times like holiday meals/special restaurant visits etc where sticking to my deficit isn't worth it to me (I'd rather have my grandma's stuffing on Thanksgiving than be one day closer to my goal the day after, frankly). On those days, I do my best to log, even knowing my calorie count won't be perfect. It helps keep me honest with myself and in the habit of logging.

If I genuinely CAN'T log, like on a recent cruise where I didn't have internet access, I don't, but I still don't treat it like a "cheat day" in the sense of just eating anything. I try to make sane, reasonable choices, while knowing that it's likely I'll only maintain or even gain after several days of that.

I think if you're doing a "cheat day" in the classic sense of giving in to all your cravings, it's CRUCIAL to log, or else you could be setting back all your progress and effort from your "healthy" days and not even realizing it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

This.

In the end as long as you're in a deficit for the week, it doesn't really matter, that's why a lot of people on MFP dislike the term 'cheat', lol.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,481 Member
    lilcd10 wrote: »

If you only log on the days you're "being good", there's really no reason to log at all.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I try to log every morsel. Only way to keep myself accountable. I took "off" from logging for a few months once. I gained 10 pounds...
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    I don't see why you wouldn't log everything. It's an eye opener to see how much you can pack away on a cheat day. On valentine's i was over before breakfast had settled. Haha
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    I log e-v-e-r-y thing. I look at my deficit not so much daily but monthly. So if I miss a day my data is caca.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    What a question.....you simply log everything like you do any other day. The End.
  • lilcd10
    After seeing these responses I will definitely try to get better at logging everything I eat. Thanks you guys!