Treadmill ???

Options
jojobloss
jojobloss Posts: 27 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Evening/morning (depending where you are) ... Anybody had any success with walking on a high incline rather than running a low one .. I read this uses more calories . I've burnt off 700 today doing this but would like to tone too so any feedback would be great xxxx

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I like it for tempo runs. Anytime of day. Varies.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How long did you walk to burn 700 calories?
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I heard that a few weeks ago as well. I prefer it to running because I'm out of shape and don't get burnt out so quickly. And it's easier on my knees. In the future I would like to be able to run but thats way down the line.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    jojobloss wrote: »
    Evening/morning (depending where you are) ... Anybody had any success with walking on a high incline rather than running a low one .. I read this uses more calories . I've burnt off 700 today doing this but would like to tone too so any feedback would be great xxxx

Walking up an incline is easier than running. Ask anyone that's out of shape. Why would something that's easier to do burn more calories?
  • jojobloss
    Options

DavPul wrote: »

An hour ... It was an incline of 12 at a pace of 5mph .. I'm
    Going on what the treadmill told me I'd burnt to be fair so not sure how accurate it is :)
  • jojobloss
    Options
    I heard that a few weeks ago as well. I prefer it to running because I'm out of shape and don't get burnt out so quickly. And it's easier on my knees. In the future I would like to be able to run but thats way down the line.

That's kind of how I feel about it I'm
    Not fit but need to do something I've got treadmill at home so I can fit it in around things and do as long as I can manage . Running isn't an option at the moment but I like idea of burning more calories with a higher incline .. Xx
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

An hour ... It was an incline of 12 at a pace of 5mph .. I'm
    Going on what the treadmill told me I'd burnt to be fair so not sure how accurate it is :)

That could be true if you're not touching the handrails. It depends on your weight.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The treadmill isn't always accurate as to what you burn. Unless you can enter in your stats (like weight), it seems to be general as to what it says.
  • jojobloss
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Walking up an incline is easier than running. Ask anyone that's out of shape. Why would something that's easier to do burn more calories?

I could have got this wrong but i think it's to do with the fact your using more muscles to walk up an incline and using muscles burns more calories ... Running is more cardio .. Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong X

• jojobloss
    Options
    angf0679 wrote: »
    The treadmill isn't always accurate as to what you burn. Unless you can enter in your stats (like weight), it seems to be general as to what it says.

Yeah I figured that too .. I don't eat them
    Back so I'm
    Hoping I won't do too much damage ha ha X
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I could have got this wrong but i think it's to do with the fact your using more muscles to walk up an incline and using muscles burns more calories ... Running is more cardio .. Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong X

Similar to how I hear people say that cold water will boil faster than warm, it's highly unlikely that an easier activity burns more than the harder activity. Walking, incline or not, is a perfectly fine activity, just don't fool yourself into thinking it's something that it's not.
  • tylerfrem
    tylerfrem Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Similar to how I hear people say that cold water will boil faster than warm, it's highly unlikely that an easier activity burns more than the harder activity. Walking, incline or not, is a perfectly fine activity, just don't fool yourself into thinking it's something that it's not.
    Well... It does...
  • jojobloss
    Options
    It does burn more on an incline ??
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are you holding on?
  • jojobloss
    Options
    No ... Arms swinging away lol
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There are online calculators out there that will tell you (height, weight, speed, incline, time) how many calories you burn, then you can compare that to the standard running equation. Of course the most accurate would be a HRM. I haven't had the chance to test it out as mine was acting up last week, battery was low.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A high enough incline can be just as effective as a jog. I use it instead of running when my back is bothering me. For comparison, walking a 15 incline at the speed of 2.5 miles/hour burns about the same calories as a slow 4.5 miles/hour jog with no incline. Now if you are fit enough to tolerate a 3.5 miles/hour speed on 15 incline that's nearly like running at 6.5 miles an hour calorie-wise without the impact.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When I started running I got terrible shin splints (might of had some stress fractures). For about 6 months I couldn't run without it hurting. I walked on the treadmill instead. I had it set to random hill setting and a level of 15 to start. So the incline would change between 5%-12%. I walked at a pace of 5 kph. I still lost weight consistently. I walk quite a bit anyways, but now that I can run again I do that instead of the walking on the treadmill.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    angf0679 wrote: »

Yeah I figured that too .. I don't eat them
    Back so I'm
    Hoping I won't do too much damage ha ha X

I usually don't trust treadmills, but If you actually are doing 5 miles an hour at 12 incline, 700 calories an hour (depending on your weight) is not that unrealistic. If you mean 5kph on the other hand, that's closer to 500 calories burned, depending on your weight. Whichever it is, that requires an amazing cardio capacity... kudos to you.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Those that can... Do. I have an app called Couch to 5K. As I started wanting the aerobic burn of fat too I wanted to do both. Started off walking daily on an incline, then when the weight stopped coming off, and the walking was easier, I moved into a couch to 5 K app. (I actually ran my first 5K last year). You will burn more calories, and have less joint stress while walking uphill, then jogging/ running. However, I think your calorie count is off. Keep plugging away, and search some other sites for calories burned. And Whatever others say, don't eat back your calories.....