Treadmill ???

Options
2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You walk at 5 miles per hour? That's a beginners running speed.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    jojobloss wrote: »
    angf0679 wrote: »
    The treadmill isn't always accurate as to what you burn. Unless you can enter in your stats (like weight), it seems to be general as to what it says.

Yeah I figured that too .. I don't eat them
    Back so I'm
    Hoping I won't do too much damage ha ha X

I usually don't trust treadmills, but If you actually are doing 5 miles an hour at 12 incline, 700 calories an hour (depending on your weight) is not that unrealistic. If you mean 5kph on the other hand, that's closer to 500 calories burned, depending on your weight. Whichever it is, that requires an amazing cardio capacity... kudos to you.

5 miles an hour is a running pace for many. I would imagine it would be very difficult to maintain that pace and that incline without holding on.

I could easily run 5 miles in an hour. I could not walk at that incline.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn is based entirely on the intensity of the activity, NOT the activity itself.

To say "walking at an incline burns more calories than running" is nonsensical. It is meaningless without knowing the actual workloads being compared.

In terms of intensity, your fitness level will determine the intensity you can sustain. If you can work at a certain intensity doing one cardio activity, you can theoretically work at the same intensity (and burn the same calories) with any cardio activity. (Not exactly true in real life, but physiologically true).

So if you can walk at a certain speed/incline combo, you can also run at a speed that would be the same intensity, and thus calorie burn would be the same.

Some people PREFER incline walking because the lower impact allows them to sustain the exercise for a longer duration, but that has nothing to do with the physiological comparison of the two activities.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The treadmill isn't always accurate as to what you burn. Unless you can enter in your stats (like weight), it seems to be general as to what it says.

Back so I'm

I usually don't trust treadmills, but If you actually are doing 5 miles an hour at 12 incline, 700 calories an hour (depending on your weight) is not that unrealistic. If you mean 5kph on the other hand, that's closer to 500 calories burned, depending on your weight. Whichever it is, that requires an amazing cardio capacity... kudos to you.

5 miles an hour is a running pace for many. I would imagine it would be very difficult to maintain that pace and that incline without holding on.

The combination of 5 mph and 12% is the equivalent of running about a 6:30 mile pace. So...color me skeptical.

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options

Azdak wrote: »

Back so I'm

The combination of 5 mph and 12% is the equivalent of running about a 6:30 mile pace. So...color me skeptical.

I've ran 6:30mi pace and ran 6mph (10:00/mi) pace at 10-15% incline. 6:30/mi is harder.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tylerfrem wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Evening/morning (depending where you are) ... Anybody had any success with walking on a high incline rather than running a low one .. I read this uses more calories . I've burnt off 700 today doing this but would like to tone too so any feedback would be great xxxx

Walking up an incline is easier than running. Ask anyone that's out of shape. Why would something that's easier to do burn more calories?

I could have got this wrong but i think it's to do with the fact your using more muscles to walk up an incline and using muscles burns more calories ... Running is more cardio .. Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong X

Similar to how I hear people say that cold water will boil faster than warm, it's highly unlikely that an easier activity burns more than the harder activity. Walking, incline or not, is a perfectly fine activity, just don't fool yourself into thinking it's something that it's not.
    Well... It does...

Well that settles that.

You know, except for facts, science, and reality.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

Azdak wrote: »

Back so I'm

I've ran 6:30mi pace and ran 6mph (10:00/mi) pace at 10-15% incline. 6:30/mi is harder.

Funny thing about walking vs running, running a 6mph incline is actually easier (and burns fewer calories) than walking a 5mph same incline. Walking starts out more efficient than running calorie-wise, but as speed and incline go up running becomes more efficient, so a fast walk on a high incline burns more calories than a slow run on the same incline. So in your case to rival walking 5mph on 12 incline you would have to run at about 6.5 mph on the same incline.

Even ignoring the above, what @Azdak said is correct from a calorie burn perspective and in theory, but in practice there are many other variables that affect perceived exertion other than the pure aerobic capacity and calorie burn.

I do suspect OP used the wrong unit though. 5 kph = 3.1 mph (which is still pretty impressive on that incline)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and have to start to jog at 5mph

I'm pretty sure this must be km/h
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Evening/morning (depending where you are) ... Anybody had any success with walking on a high incline rather than running a low one .. I read this uses more calories . I've burnt off 700 today doing this but would like to tone too so any feedback would be great xxxx

Walking up an incline is easier than running. Ask anyone that's out of shape. Why would something that's easier to do burn more calories?

I could have got this wrong but i think it's to do with the fact your using more muscles to walk up an incline and using muscles burns more calories ... Running is more cardio .. Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong X

Similar to how I hear people say that cold water will boil faster than warm, it's highly unlikely that an easier activity burns more than the harder activity. Walking, incline or not, is a perfectly fine activity, just don't fool yourself into thinking it's something that it's not.

Water is about pure numbers, physical activity is not. There are other factors that affect how hard you find the activity, it's not all about calories. For example, an avid cyclist who can put in impressive cycling burns will likely struggle to produce the same calorie burn running if they haven't done it before, simply due to muscle conditioning. Almost everyone is conditioned to walk, but not everyone is conditioned to run. Even a good runner may find keeping up the same performance in hot weather or when tired harder than cool weather or when rested and fueled. Heck, even mentally, all variables equal, some runs may feel harder than others for no reason at all other than head space. Humans are complicated systems that can't be reduced to a single set of statistics like boiling water.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's got to be km/h, so 5k an hour being about 3 miles an hour pace.

Always found this helpful when converting. http://therunningbug.co.uk/Emails/treadmill-cheatsheet.pdf
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You walk at 5 miles per hour? That's a beginners running speed.

That's what I was thinking too 5 mph is slow jog
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I can't run. So I walk\power walk full incline. What you also got to look at is that incline will be pushing for a higher heart rate. So you'll be burning more by that. Then going 5 days of 30 minutes, say for a month, of high incline and it will really tone the legs.
    An easier walk is at 3.0. But if you wanna go heavy, switch up between 3.3-3.5.
  • danipani
    danipani Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a speed of between 3 and 3.5 mph (varies during workout) at an incline of 3... it tells me about 360 calories. But, i do hold on for alot of it
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    tylerfrem wrote: »

Well... It does...

Sorry, not true:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/is-it-true-that-hot-water/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/health/18real.html?_r=0

http://kitchen-myths.com/2011/04/04/cold-water-boils-faster-than-warm-water/

https://www.quora.com/When-does-cold-water-boil-faster-than-warm-water