RASPBERRY KETONES.....GOOD OR BAD?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    ...I don't see the sense in making someone feel bad about herself because she reached out and asked a question. Does calling someone stupid, or a rat, make you somehow feel better about yourself? I'm sure it didn't make her feel better about herself. Just sayin'...
    Just to clear up misconceptions before anybody else jumps on this one....ACG was not calling the OP a rat. What he was referring to is the clinical studies used to hype raspberry ketones. They were conducted on rats. Hence, his second response to the effect that "if you'd done any research, you'd know what I was talking about".

FWIW, he makes a salient point. It's a good idea to research any supplement (beyond the diet industry's marketing hype and glowing testimonials of "OMGZZZ i lost thirty pounds in two weeks, ate cake all day and never exercised!!1!!") before taking it. A little digging around through Google (and/or Google Scholar) will help bore through all the BS. It's a testament to the diet industry's marketing machine (and human desperation) that people will blindly go out and waste their money on these useless scams without bothering to do a little digging around first.

Remember this when it comes to the diet/weight loss industry - "if it sounds too good to be true, it is." Also read the small print on every one of these junk "supplements" - it will always contain some variation of the phrase "effective when combined with an appropriate diet and exercise program". That's the part that gets you the results, not the snake oil you're wasting your money on.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Snake oil.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Does anyone know if Raspberry Ketones are actually helpful? I am eating healthy and exercising but it is said that this boosts the weight loss. True or is this another crazy weight loss scheme??? I bought one that is all natural and 100mg. I started it yesterday. I appreciate your input!

Why did you buy it first then ask questions?

Are you a rat?

She put the cart in front of the horse on this one.
  • Jenny56dreams
    Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
    @ ndj1979 : Well, I don't sit on a couch all day and eat Twinkies, nor do I ingest a 12pk or any beer for that matter. I was only asking a question. Had you done the same I wouldn't have been a smart@$$ about it. And this is supposed to be a site were people support others in their quest to lose weight??? Thank goodness I'm not asking for a kidney. I'd be screwed. :laugh:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Dr Oz actually endorsed the use of raspberry ketones for weight loss on his show (google Dr oz raspberry ketones for the segment of the show video), and yes, while I am aware that many people think he is selling "snake oil", he is actually a quite well respected and renowned cardiologist. That being said, I still am very wary of anything that is sold as "weight loss" products. As far as these were concerned, after researched, I decided, no harm to try these particular supplements. I have taken them for a few months. I don't know that they are really making any difference, as I am also eating correctly and exercising, so would be losing weight anyway. I don't feel like the weight loss is any quicker, and I am not purchasing any more. I wish you luck and success in your journey!

He is not well respected. He's a guy that saw his chance to make a butt load of money by becoming a sell out. Nothing wrong with making a butt load of money but like any con artist, he's not doing it in an honest fashion.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    @ ndj1979 : Well, I don't sit on a couch all day and eat Twinkies, nor do I ingest a 12pk or any beer for that matter. I was only asking a question. Had you done the same I wouldn't have been a smart@$$ about it. And this is supposed to be a site were people support others in their quest to lose weight??? Thank goodness I'm not asking for a kidney. I'd be screwed. :laugh:

actually you are doing well sifting through everything.

Also i have to admit, when I joined I had never been on a forum before, and had NO IDEA there was a search area...took me some time of playing around with the site and making friends to figure out.

oh.

oops.
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    I have to say ... for a community-based fitness and nutrition site, all the comments I've seen in response to this post have been incredibly judgmental. Personally, I joined this site to have a community of like-minded peers who are as focused on healthy living as I am - but I don't see that through what I've read today. I don't see the sense in making someone feel bad about herself because she reached out and asked a question. Does calling someone stupid, or a rat, make you somehow feel better about yourself? I'm sure it didn't make her feel better about herself. Just sayin'.

As far as the actual topic is concerned - both MedWatch and WebMD have stated that while there is no reliable scientific evidence to prove the supplement as effective, there has been notable documentation to prove its effectiveness in regards to weight loss.

I've never personally tried them, but there's evidence and/or documentation to merit both sides.

The OP could of used the handy dandy "search" feature and found a billion threads on Ketones and why they are absolute BS...

the reason some of us - myself included - get a little snarky is because you are on MFP to track calories and eat in a deficit..not find some German wundermachine that magically converts fat into muscle and makes you increase your metabolism while sitting on the couch drinking a 12 pack of beer and eating twinkes every thirty minutes...

what do you think of that?
    This is perfect. I was like this too when I first started counting calories. Then I asked myself, "I joined a calorie counting website and I am wondering if I should do low carb?" Everything becomes so much simpler when you stop worrying about "low carb" and "raspberry ketones" and stuff that is irrelevant.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Does anyone know if Raspberry Ketones are actually helpful? I am eating healthy and exercising but it is said that this boosts the weight loss. True or is this another crazy weight loss scheme??? I bought one that is all natural and 100mg. I started it yesterday. I appreciate your input!

Why did you buy it first then ask questions?

Are you a rat?

:laugh: I like this!

Come on, OP, do your research BEFORE buying and taking a pill!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Dr Oz actually endorsed the use of raspberry ketones for weight loss on his show (google Dr oz raspberry ketones for the segment of the show video), and yes, while I am aware that many people think he is selling "snake oil", he is actually a quite well respected and renowned cardiologist.

I wouldn't go to a dietician with a heart condition, or a neurologist for a broken leg …. So why do with think a cardiologist is an expert on weight loss? If it's not a dietician, an MD doesn't have more than the rudimentary basics.
  • Jenny56dreams
    Well one thing is for sure.......I don't think I'll be asking questions or posting any topics here again after today. Thanks. :embarassed:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Dr Oz actually endorsed the use of raspberry ketones for weight loss on his show (google Dr oz raspberry ketones for the segment of the show video), and yes, while I am aware that many people think he is selling "snake oil", he is actually a quite well respected and renowned cardiologist.

I wouldn't go to a dietician with a heart condition, or a neurologist for a broken leg …. So why do with think a cardiologist is an expert on weight loss? If it's not a dietician, an MD doesn't have more than the rudimentary basics.

Um because a cardiologist is knowledgeable in all aspects of the heart and arteriosclerosis is a disease of the heart caused by being over weight/ obese?

You don't think a cardiologist would know what steps one should take to decrease their risk?
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    I really don't get why some users feel the need to answer every post. If you are tired of seeing the same questions or topics posted, DO NOT REPLY! No one is forcing you to click on every single thread and put your 2 cents in. Move on. Everyone else shouldn't have to suffer because you are so bored and have so much time on your hands that you feel it's your civic duty to snarkily answer every question, with the excuse of, "It's been asked so many times before" "Do you know how to google" "Ever heard of the search function?" "I'm not rude I'm tired of answering this topic" WTH. Get a life. If you don't wan to answer a question about raspberry keytones because you already responded to 50 other keytones questions then DO NOT CLICK ON THE THREAD!!! Seriously.

The point of the forums is to ask questions. If we wanted to search through millions of old posts we would use google or not even have forums. I'm guessing if people never posted a question that had never been asked, the forums would be dead and we'd only have the chit chat and games threads. Not the point of the site in my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just don't think it's ok to be a little *kitten* all the time and always defend yourself with the excuse that you're sick of seeing the same topics. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to answer!

Like that big block of text? LOL. End of my snarky rant. As for the raspberry things, like everyone else has said, I don't think they will do anything special. :)
  • Jenny56dreams
    Oh crap....... Can I delete this topic since I posted it? Crap, crap crap. :sick:
  • athyraslove
    Well one thing is for sure.......I don't think I'll be asking questions or posting any topics here again after today. Thanks. :embarassed:

Do it anyway. Some people like to ***** to *****. Obviously if it really bothered them they wouldn't click on a topic they feel has been beaten to death. They enjoy it, it gets them through the day. If we don't post questions we won't learn. And they wouldn't have anything to keep them busy through the day. :cry: It would be a tragedy. Poor souls.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member

Do it anyway. Some people like to ***** to *****. Obviously if it really bothered them they wouldn't click on a topic they feel has been beaten to death. They enjoy it, it gets them through the day. If we don't post questions we won't learn. And they wouldn't have anything to keep them busy through the day. :cry: It would be a tragedy. Poor souls.

I agree.

Not only that but how are they going to feel superior and show how much they know on every topic in the world?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

I was not referring to you, I was referring to the other 5 billion threads dealing with "magic cleanses" "ketones" and magical fairy dust that turns fat into muscle...
  • ndj1979

please don't stop ...I would not have anything to entertain myself with....
  • ndj1979
    I really don't get why some users feel the need to answer every post. If you are tired of seeing the same questions or topics posted, DO NOT REPLY! No one is forcing you to click on every single thread and put your 2 cents in. Move on. Everyone else shouldn't have to suffer because you are so bored and have so much time on your hands that you feel it's your civic duty to snarkily answer every question, with the excuse of, "It's been asked so many times before" "Do you know how to google" "Ever heard of the search function?" "I'm not rude I'm tired of answering this topic" WTH. Get a life. If you don't wan to answer a question about raspberry keytones because you already responded to 50 other keytones questions then DO NOT CLICK ON THE THREAD!!! Seriously.

The point of the forums is to ask questions. If we wanted to search through millions of old posts we would use google or not even have forums. I'm guessing if people never posted a question that had never been asked, the forums would be dead and we'd only have the chit chat and games threads. Not the point of the site in my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just don't think it's ok to be a little *kitten* all the time and always defend yourself with the excuse that you're sick of seeing the same topics. Nobody is holding a gun to your head to answer!

Like that big block of text? LOL. End of my snarky rant. As for the raspberry things, like everyone else has said, I don't think they will do anything special. :)
    WHY DO PEOPLE ALWAYS USE CAPS LOCKS IT IS VERY ANNOYING....SERIOUSLY PEOPLE stop USING CAPS LOCKS IN THREADS...GEEZ
  • athyraslove

I was not referring to you, I was referring to the other 5 billion threads dealing with "magic cleanses" "ketones" and magical fairy dust that turns fat into muscle...

She didn't post all those other threads though. Or maybe she did and just keeps getting new accounts. :laugh: