How much/often do you exercise?

Options

Replies

• mangelopulos
    mangelopulos Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try to walk on my treadmill 20-30 minutes 2 times a week. I lift for an hour 1-2 times a week. I wish I could go to the gym everyday. I watch my diet and my waist. But, I just moved back to the Philly area and the cheesesteaks are killing me!
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow. All of you guys are so active.
    My current program has me doing weights 3xper week, cardio (approx 30min) twice per week, and one circuit style class. And I thought that was going at it pretty good.

I am lazy in comparison to most of you!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Nearly every day, unless I am very ill or injured.

60-120 minutes per day is normal for me, but half of that is usually walking. I also lift weights, hike, swim laps, do heavy gardening and participate in social dancing.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    About 400 to 450 minutes a week. Mix of cardio and weights. Averaging over 11,000 steps a day.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    ashleyylo wrote: »
    My current program has me doing weights 3xper week, cardio (approx 30min) twice per week, and one circuit style class. And I thought that was going at it pretty good.

Who's most likely to comment on threads like this one? I'm thinking it's people who exercise more, relatively speaking. So, this is far from a random or representative sample. You're doing just great - way more than the "average person". ;)
  • CowgirlsRock24
    CowgirlsRock24 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    7 days a week! Cardio workouts. Treadmill @ incline 15, elliptical, biking.. Lifting. Boot camp is my favorite. I do that between 1-3 times a week. I'm new to all this but decided I needed a lifestyle change! It's addictive!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ashleyylo wrote: »

Nah, we're not all active. I love and respect all the active MFP peeps. I'm just not one of them. 30-40 min bodyweight training, 3x week for me. My cardio is walking instead of driving kids to and from bus stops/school, grocery shopping, and nearby errands (SAHM here).

It's enough for me; I see results, I get to eat a respectable (to me) amount, and I don't feel overwhelmed when I get a rest day every other day.
  • becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Usually 6 days a week. 3 of those are just cardio (running, stairclimber, circuits, stationary bike, elliptical, arc trainer) for about 90 minutes and the other days are about 30 minutes of full body strength training with 30 minutes or more of cardio at the end. I average 350 minutes of fairly high intensity exercise per week. I've lost almost 60 pounds and I'm aiming to lose 100. I'm also a certified personal trainer.
  • zcassel
    zcassel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm more in the losing weight category, so my regimen is a bit skewed, but I do 15 minutes to an hour of cardio on days that I do weightlifting, and I have a cardio/abs day that keeps me dedicated to almost an hour and a half of cardio followed by a day of rest. So, out of a week I'd say I'm in the gym for 6 of 7 days. If I were just maintaining I think I'd still be there 6 days, I enjoy the challenge and even today doing squats I found it very rewarding to put up 295, something about those primary lifts is fun. In the maintaining stage there's always room for improvement, you know?
  • jasonsunlee
    jasonsunlee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I just entered maintenance last week. I've lost 90 lbs in the past 13 months, and a total of about 150 lbs from my highest weight. As I was losing weight, I exercised a lot, every day - cardio on the elliptical for 2+ hours, plus 1 lifting session a week. I felt working out for 2 hours every day was too stressful for me, so since starting maintenance I have reduced the cardio time to 1.5 hours/5 days a week, and 1 lifting session per week as well. So far, this has been working great for me, and it gives me 1,900 calories to work with on a daily average (after eating about 1,300-1,400 calories a day, that's a pretty generous amount for me!). But, I wonder if its too much exercise? It obviously is not nearly as much as I was doing before, but I don't want to seem obsessed. However, I feel really good after working out on the elliptical, and I do want to keep my fitness level at least the same, if not improve somehow (and I also want to eat more food!) I also may want to try new activities this spring/summer, like maybe swimming, biking, or hiking.

So, for those who are maintaining, how much/how long/how often do you exercise? What kind of exercise(s) do you do? What is your daily calorie intake for maintenance? Do you exercise solely to eat more food, or do you do it for other reasons as well? At what point do you think it becomes an obsession?

I would imagine with the amount of cardio you are doing you will continue losing weight. You may want to consider upping your calorie intake of you're working out 5 days a week for 1.5 hours. You will need to give your body adequate time to rest to rebuild the tiny muscle tears which repair themselves to be leaner muscle mass.

Tou could probably eat up to 1800 and still maintain at the rate you are going. Try and set a new goal of watching your macros and managing your sodium and fat intake to ensure you continue to build muscle instead of dwindling down to stick and bones. Great work ethic though! Im in the gym for about two hours 2 to 3 times a week (usually 30 to 40 mins of cardio and the rest is resistence and weight training). I consume on average 1600 to 2100 calories a day and have been able to maintain my weight eaisly (even after weekend cheat meals).
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    30 min on the treadmill 5xs per week. I eat around 1200 calories per doctor's orders.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    More exercise isn't always better. Sometimes less is more
  • nonablu
    nonablu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Man, some of you are intense. I walk my dog every day for 4 or 5 kms, and sometimes I'll do a pilates youtube video or dance to a song or something. That's it! If you like going hard that's awesome, but also don't feel discouraged if that just isn't you! I love just walking out in nature.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    "how much/how long/how often do you exercise?"

Cardio 5-6 days a week, about a half hour per session. I used to only do cardio 2x a week at higher intensity and for a longer duration but it's much nicer being able to do the former.

"What kind of exercise(s) do you do?"

Stair-running + MMA (sparring/bag work)

"Do you exercise solely to eat more food, or do you do it for other reasons as well?"

Both to be able to eat more food and to maintain physique/composition.

"At what point do you think it becomes an obsession?"

When I'm not listening to my body and put on mileage or restrict food beyond what's necessary.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Approx 90 mins a day x 5 days a week and lots of walking on weekends. Run/walk and strength training with progressive free weights (3 times a week) lifting is changing my body for the better :smile:
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm active daily. I do 45 mins circuit training 4-6 times a week, hour of yoga 3-5 times a week (a mix of yin and power), walks and jogging 2-3 times a week for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours each session. I have 1-2 rest days per week where I do gentle yoga and walk, the rest of the days I train at a relatively high intensity.

I don't think it's an obsession. It's a hobby/way of life which brings me enjoyment and lots of benefits - physical and mental!.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I run 5 days a week (1-3 miles each, which equates to 8-30 mins a day depending on mileage).
    I lift 5 days a week (30-60 mins each).
    I ruck (walk with a weighted backpack) once a week (9-26 miles) (2.5-7 hours).
    And I go to hot hatha yoga once a week (75 mins).

I eat 2000-2500 calories. I don't really track anymore and maintain relatively easily. I'm a 5'8, mid-20s female for reference.

I workout because I like the way it makes my body look. Plus, I do races and endurance events, which I really enjoy.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I do about 80 minutes of active "exercise" a day. Typically, it's me walking around the house while doing nursing readings (especially if it takes 40-60 minutes to thoroughly read one chapter in some of my nursing books) or walking on a treadmill at my university's gym if I'm up on campus. Since classes started, I'm averaging 15-17,000 steps (I managed to get 18K yesterday), with 8-10K being from purposeful "exercise"/walking while crying about nursing school. I'm constantly running around while at school (I realized a few days ago that a round trip from the nursing building to my preferred student center to eat lunch -of course, it's across campus- and back to the nursing building is about 2.5K steps), which also really helps to boost my step count.

My main goal is to get about 13,000 steps per day. Doing so gives me a TDEE of about 2000 calories, which gives me a lot more options for food choices while in maintenance (if I was on my butt all day, I would only maintain at 1400-1450).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That is a lot of exercise. Fortunately, you're doing non-impact cardio so you don't need to worry too much about injury, and you're eating enough to support it. I'm assuming you're getting good sleep, not feeling fatigued, etc. So, too much is really down to whether you enjoy doing it that much.

I used to run five days a week and lift four days a week with two rest days (no exercise). The runs would normally be 3-6 mi with a long run (half-marathon training) on a non-lifting day. Lifting was in the hypertrophy range but as heavy as I could manage and took 30-45 min per session. That got to be too time consuming and too exhausting towards the end even though I enjoyed it.

Lately, I've just been running. Five days a week, marathon training schedule. I need to get back to lifting on a more moderate schedule than before, too, but I'm having a hard time getting my butt out of bed early enough to get one of the two workouts out of the way.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Congrats on hitting maintenance!

I'm active everyday. Sometimes twice a day. Fast walking, lifting, Pilates, exercise dvd's, jump roping, body weight exercises, ice skating, volleyball, tennis and I'm always willing to try new sports and activities.

I only take a complete rest day when it's needed, which is not often since I only do moderate workouts and I am in great shape.

I average around 2200 calories. Some days more, other days less. I love what being active and eating has done for my figure and my health.

I'm often told I'm addicted to exercise, but if it's wrong then I don't want to be right! B)