Gained 20 pounds in 2 days?

Options
Hey there, I drank pretty heavily on the weekend and somehow gained 20 pounds. I know that's totally impossible but know when that fake weight will go away? Lot's of sites say it's " water weight " and I'm stuck at 20+ pounds for the past 3 days. Being a super bummer.

Replies

• debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Fake weight or not, I would LOSE my mind if I stepped on the scale and it was 20lbs higher than a couple days previous weight. That's one heck of a lot of liquid. Is your scale digital? Maybe time for a new battery.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Usually when I drink the scale goes down 2 or 3 lbs because I'm dehydrated then up 4 or 5 over the next few days as I re-hydrate and then I lose it in 1-4 days after that, depending on my diet those following days.

And, I agree 20 lbs is a lot. Are you pretty heavy to begin with? If you are over 250 lbs, then 20 lbs seems a bit more reasonable for such a large gain, but even then, that is a lot.

If I were you I'd check your scale's batteries.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i had 8 beers yesterday and was 900+ cals over for the day and still woke up down a tad.

i would check your scale batteries.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Your scale is broken. Change the battery or get a new one.
  • seatower
    seatower Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. Sometimes extreme water retention is due to heart issues or kidney issues. I've worked with transplant patients (totally different group than you, I know) but they are told if they see a 5 pound gain in 1 day to call in. I am not a medical professional but this is what I would tell anyone in my family, if they were in the same situation.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    The most water weight I've ever seen pop on the scale was 8lbs. That was after a weekend of extreme physical activity, lots of salty snacks, and it coincided with my monthly cycle. Twenty pounds of water is extreme unless you're super, morbidly obese - and even then, it's unlikely.

I would verify the other posters' advice to check your scale. If everything looks right or you get additional verification of that gain, consult a doctor.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a busted scale.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Broken scale or a troll.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? Get some workouts in. Drink lots of water. If it's ALL still around 3 days later...that's kind of scary. Some amount of that might be real weight.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    Broken scale or a troll.

agreed. 20lb is 2.5 gallons of water weight and there is no way you hold onto that much extra water for days unless you weren't going to the bathroom either at which point you need to seriously be checked for kidney problems.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    i had 8 beers yesterday and was 900+ cals over for the day and still woke up down a tad.

I like you
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    When you were drinking, did you by any chance jump up and down on your scale, mistaking it for a trampolene? lol
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    If your scale battery is working it may just need to be calibrated. Mine weighed me in at 10lbs less yesterday and while it would be awesome, I knew it wasn't true. I looked up directions online on how to calibrate my particular scale, and then it registered a 0.5 loss, which was a lot closer to what I was expecting.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

I like you

people love me or hate me ;)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Check your battery. Unless you've got a swollen limb or something that's just not possible.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Were you still drunk when you weighed yourself? :)

I agree with the others, sounds like you need a new scale or new batteries. For what water weight you DO have though, usually it's gone within a week.
  • ashtoncm394
    ashtoncm394 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Registered Nurse here...if you're scale is not broken you need to see a doctor right away. You could be having a cardiac problem.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    High weight gains is a possible sign of various medical problems from cardiovascular to kidney issues. See a doctor. Now.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Op see a doctor

erinc5 wrote: »
    Usually when I drink the scale goes down 2 or 3 lbs because I'm dehydrated then up 4 or 5 over the next few days as I re-hydrate and then I lose it in 1-4 days after that, depending on my diet those following days.

And, I agree 20 lbs is a lot. Are you pretty heavy to begin with? If you are over 250 lbs, then 20 lbs seems a bit more reasonable for such a large gain, but even then, that is a lot.

If I were you I'd check your scale's batteries.

When you're dehydrated your body retains water
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    High weight gains is a possible sign of various medical problems from cardiovascular to kidney issues. See a doctor. Now.

+1. Check your weight on another scale, check your batteries, and if they agree you've dramatically gained weight, get thineself into the urgent care immediately.