Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How much thought/money do you put into the water you drink?

Options

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    http://ausglobetrotter.com/2013/10/Tasmania.html
    My home......you people can be so so rude!!
    I'm not skinny because of parasites or bacteria! nor am I a bad mum because my kids drink from the creek! I don't live were there's 'town water' yup animals drink from our creek!! No one around here filters water caught off roofs (but birds still poop on there) we are fit, we are healthy, our kids get dirty they aren't wrapped in cotton wool! We don't smother them in antibacterials before they eat! In fact we don't use antibacterials or bleach at all in our house.....Ohhhh and before you say anything my home is beautiful, clean and fresh...... I DONT LIVE IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY so why compare me to them! Where I live its pristine, beautiful and untouched........I live in Beautiful Tasmania

Sounds great to me. :smile:
    I've drunk out of many a stream on a fell run and it's never killed me. Your life sounds wonderful and I'm sure your kids have a great childhood living where you do.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    And at least you know you are not contributing to the ongoing pollution of the planet.
    http://www.treehugger.com/clean-water/the-us-consumes-1500-plastic-water-bottles-every-second-a-fact-by-watershed.html
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That's really really beautiful

Would I want that to be my drinking water supply - heck no

But still very beautiful

I am glad no one you know has suffered any ill effects from your water supply - long may that continue

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't need to be life threatening for me to avoid it.

I had to clean up after my dog and my parent's dog when they got giardia at my place. I had never actually seen or imagined a literal lake of liquid poo before (with bonus sprays up the walls). And there they were - two of them. With a poo-covered dog standing miserably in the middle of each. One in the utility room and one in the guest bedroom.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I avoid following what nature intended. I can't commune with it to divine its intent, but based on our existence in a universe that is lethal in 99.999999% of the observable parts of it within minutes (vacuum of space, stars, other planets, our oceans) I tend to think nature intends to kill me, or at least doesn't have much interest in my survival.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Rwanda
    Fig-1.jpg

Afghanistan
    kokchariver.gif

Sierra Leone
    PR53_285.jpg

Kenya
    43689201.jpg

Congo, Dem. Rep.
    congo-river-nat-geo.jpg
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Rwanda
    Fig-1.jpg

Afghanistan
    kokchariver.gif

Sierra Leone
    PR53_285.jpg

Kenya
    43689201.jpg

Congo, Dem. Rep.
    congo-river-nat-geo.jpg

Beautiful beautiful dysentery.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Ashtoretet wrote: »
    Unless you're in Flint or a third world country, I can't see it mattering enough to freak out about..I use filters and call it a day.

Anywhere can be Flint.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Rwanda
    Fig-1.jpg

Afghanistan
    kokchariver.gif

Sierra Leone
    PR53_285.jpg

Kenya
    43689201.jpg

Congo, Dem. Rep.
    congo-river-nat-geo.jpg

Beautiful beautiful dysentery.

It tugs on my heart strings... no wait! - different organ, different pull.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    http://ausglobetrotter.com/2013/10/Tasmania.html
    My home......you people can be so so rude!!
    I'm not skinny because of parasites or bacteria! nor am I a bad mum because my kids drink from the creek! I don't live were there's 'town water' yup animals drink from our creek!! No one around here filters water caught off roofs (but birds still poop on there) we are fit, we are healthy, our kids get dirty they aren't wrapped in cotton wool! We don't smother them in antibacterials before they eat! In fact we don't use antibacterials or bleach at all in our house.....Ohhhh and before you say anything my home is beautiful, clean and fresh...... I DONT LIVE IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY so why compare me to them! Where I live its pristine, beautiful and untouched........I live in Beautiful Tasmania

Sounds great to me. :smile:
    I've drunk out of many a stream on a fell run and it's never killed me. Your life sounds wonderful and I'm sure your kids have a great childhood living where you do.

Thank you
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    blue-ledge-rapids-on.jpg
    My brother got giardia from this river.

He was kayaking and accidentally swallowed some water.
  • summerkissed
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OMG your bug that your talking about can be caught by food, swimming in chlorinated pools, just about anything actually!!! The most common way of catching this bug is actually at day-care/child-care centers not through drinking water! Kids are the biggest carriers because they are dirty little unhygienic things so you all better get rid of them or wash them in bleach lol
    In fact your bug can be caught by drinking treated water because it's resistant to chlorination and ozonolysis!! Run for the hills....no don't, you guys are scared of that as well lol

Quote-They may also occur in city reservoirs and persist after water treatment, as the cysts are resistant to conventional water treatment methods, such as chlorination and ozonolysis.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    blue-ledge-rapids-on.jpg
    My brother got giardia from this river.

He was kayaking and accidentally swallowed some water.

That's where he 'thinks' he caught it!.....so many way of transmission that he can actually only 'assume' that's where he caught it!
    It's also resistant to heat/boiling so you are not guaranteed to kill that way either!
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Since we're posting pictures of rivers, might as well put this one here for those that think drinking water from rivers and streams is safe.

nile7.jpg
  • summerkissed
    Options
    us4sf3vlm90r.jpeg

We are doomed!!

I've just done a lot of quick reading on this Giardia.....it's not something I'm even worried about lol
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    You realize that giardia isn't the only organism that will make you sick, right?
  • summerkissed
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes there's lots waterborne or not!! Most are caught by kids and schools are a dangerous place but what should I home school my kids and stop them from going near other kids for fear they might catch something? I know a lot of people don't understand the way we live but here it's normal!!! Kids have less sick days here than in the cities there's less gastro, less colds and flues, less kids with allergies, asthma and obesity! ok we have more cuts, bruises, broken bones and stitches lol but that's because they are out climbing trees, riding bikes, jumping hay bales and trying to ride the goats! That's our life we live it we have done it forever and will continue this way!! We grow and kill our own meat, grow our own veggies, and drink water from a creek! I'd say we are exposed to less bugs, chemicals and pollution than anyone in a town or city!
    The op asked how much thought you put into your water I answered then got ridiculed but it changes nothing!! I live in my own paradise and that's where I'll stay living this way thank you!!! We are fit and healthy!!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes there's lots waterborne or not!! Most are caught by kids and schools are a dangerous place but what should I home school my kids and stop them from going near other kids for fear they might catch something? I know a lot of people don't understand the way we live but here it's normal!!! Kids have less sick days here than in the cities there's less gastro, less colds and flues, less kids with allergies, asthma and obesity! ok we have more cuts, bruises, broken bones and stitches lol but that's because they are out climbing trees, riding bikes, jumping hay bales and trying to ride the goats! That's our life we live it we have done it forever and will continue this way!! We grow and kill our own meat, grow our own veggies, and drink water from a creek! I'd say we are exposed to less bugs, chemicals and pollution than anyone in a town or city!
    The op asked how much thought you put into your water I answered then got ridiculed but it changes nothing!! I live in my own paradise and that's where I'll stay living this way thank you!!! We are fit and healthy!!

Here's the thing: no, of course you don't keep your kids home from school to keep them away from illness. Just like you don't keep them out of parking lots to keep them from getting backed over or out of the ocean to keep them from getting eaten by a shark. It's a simple evaluation of statistics and risks/benefit. It almost seems like you're going out of your way to have your family drink poopy creek water...you could be drinking clean water, but instead you drink from the creek, why, for some perceived increased immunity to other non-water borne diseases? To me, it's akin to sending to your children to a school that requires them to cross an 8 lane highway on foot instead of the one next door because the one across the highway has newer math textbooks - it's a huge unnecessary risk for a supposed benefit that might not even pan out.

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • summerkissed
    Options
    No I just turn on the pump fill the tank then use the tap.......it's raining now do we have to treat that water as well because it ran over our roof? Do I go buy water in bottles? Do I make the kids use that for brushing teeth as well? Crikeys id hate to live where you guys all do.....8 lane highways? And can't drink water from your own taps for fear of contamination even though by sounds of it most are treated water! So you go buy more filters and bottled water anyway.....I don't get it! We don't have names for people that live in the bush or in the city they are all just people, I'm thinking your 'valley people' are the ones on those stupid tv shows we see from the US like turtle man and the cat fish people......you have some really strange people and shows I must say!