Is giving up diet soda really worth it?

Options

Replies

• ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Look, soda is unnecessary, and on your weight loss journey you are training yourself to cut out useless junk. You don't need a treat. You are not a dog. Yes, soda is not good for you. I didn't say it was bad for you, what I said was it isn't good for you. Which no one can prove to you that it has any benefits. Your original post says it all- you are going through withdrawal. And if something causes you to go through withdrawal then why would you want to be consuming it? Caffeine, sugar, drugs, alcohol- all cause your body to go through withdrawal because we aren't meant to consume them. Your body is telling you straight up you've done damage to it and now it needs to recover. Should a heroin addict give up treatment because their body is sick from withdrawal? No. Can you imagine how nice it will be to have control over your body again and not let it decided what you need and want?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    OK I went and looked up one of the studies the health blog blurb talks about. Here's the actual results of the study:

"Consumption of ≥2 servings per day of artificially sweetened (diet) soda was independently associated with eGFR decline ≥30% (OR 2.02, 95% CI 1.36 to 3.01) and ≥3 ml/min per 1.73 m2 per year (OR 2.20, 95% CI 1.36 to 3.55). No increased risk for eGFR decline was observed for <2 servings per day of diet soda. No associations were noted between diet soda and MA or sugar soda and MA or eGFR decline.
    Conclusions Consumption of ≥2 servings per day of artificially sweetened soda is associated with a 2-fold increased odds for kidney function decline in women."

Here's part of the health blog's interpretation of these results:

"Kidney function started declining when women drank more than two sodas a day."

Uh huh.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    Options
    OK I went and looked up one of the studies the health blog blurb talks about. Here's the actual results of the study:

"Consumption of ≥2 servings per day of artificially sweetened (diet) soda was independently associated with eGFR decline ≥30% (OR 2.02, 95% CI 1.36 to 3.01) and ≥3 ml/min per 1.73 m2 per year (OR 2.20, 95% CI 1.36 to 3.55). No increased risk for eGFR decline was observed for <2 servings per day of diet soda. No associations were noted between diet soda and MA or sugar soda and MA or eGFR decline.
    Conclusions Consumption of ≥2 servings per day of artificially sweetened soda is associated with a 2-fold increased odds for kidney function decline in women."

Uh huh.

I have seen this happen first hand. My childhood best friend was a diet coke drinker from under the age of ten until she became pregnant with her daughter last year at the age of 24. She did not drink hardly any water, just diet coke. She has kidney failure, full blown, at the age of 24. And SHE WOULD NOT HAVE THIS IF SHE HAD CUT OUT THE UNNECESSARY CONSUMPTION OF A MAN MADE DRINK.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Uh huh.

I have seen this happen first hand. My childhood best friend was a diet coke drinker from under the age of ten until she became pregnant with her daughter last year at the age of 24. She did not drink hardly any water, just diet coke. She has kidney failure, full blown, at the age of 24. And SHE WOULD NOT HAVE THIS IF SHE HAD CUT OUT THE UNNECESSARY CONSUMPTION OF A MAN MADE DRINK.

You don't know what caused her kidney problems.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    Options
    That's funny because her doctor has endlessly discussed with her how her consumption of diet coke has been extremely toxic to her body and has led to her kidney failure. Every time I see you in a post your combative and unsupportive and advocating for your unhealthy eating habits. You never, ever take into consideration that what works for you may not work for others. You constantly act as though people are idiots for not wanting to consume crap. In general, you're unpleasant. No other factors in her life, genetic or environmental, predispose her to kidney failure other than her lack of water/constant coke swilling.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Uh huh.

You don't know what caused her kidney problems.
    yes, bold claim to make. sorry about her friend but i hope there is some lab/blood work and a whole lot of tests to back up this claim. to come on here stating a form of a beverage is a cause of major kidney failure, based on a hunch, is not right.
    from the neutral party. here is my search results, and none show anything other than a link to lifestyle choices and health.
    http://scitechdaily.com/study-links-diet-soda-with-depression-in-older-adults/
    http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat2.asp?newID=3861
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-there-a-link-between-diet-soda-and-heart-disease-201202214296
    http://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11606-011-1968-2
    http://bionews-tx.com/news/2013/05/23/ut-health-science-center-study-reveals-how-diet-soda-contributes-to-obesity-poor-health/
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20075358-10391704/new-study-is-wake-up-call-for-diet-soda-drinkers
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about moderation.

Soda, whether diet or not, is not natural. It's syrup, high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, more chemicals than I care to prounounce and yet it's amazing and delicious. Coke Zero is seriously amazing and I love it, but I probably only have it once a month or so.

It's not a weight loss thing, I just don't like that junk going in my body in excess.
  • jushanna
    jushanna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing. Me and a co-worker made a compact to limit our drinks to 20oz a day. This about killed me, I had the worse cravings ever. I decided to quit cold turkey and had no problems. Every now and then I get the need for some carbonation and I get a 20oz Dt Mountain Dew. When I stopped the drinks, I increased my water and drank regular tea- the result was a 10lb weight gain. I hope us giving up the drinks help in some way. Keep it up, meet you at the finish line!
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Back in 2008 I gave up soda for about 6 months. I couldnt believe how much better I felt. The first few weeks were tough with caffeine withdrawal - I am not a big coffee drinker, so soda was my only caffeine source. I also only drank regular soda - the taste of diet soda is absolutely disgusting to me. Anyway, after 6 months I started drinking it again. At first it tasted icky, but if you drink it more often you get used to it again. So about 6 months after that I started cutting it out again and I was soda free for about a year. After that I started occasionally drinking it - like once every month or so. I consider it a treat now, but honestly, I really just dont like spending my calories on soda, when I can drink water and save those calories for something else.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda first in April 2011 (lasted until September 2012 when I had some regression because of some nasty life things)....and again around Memorial Day this year. Both times I gave it up, I had some caffeine withdrawal headaches (I don't drink any other caffeine....only water). Know that water is an acquired taste. Right now, it may seem like a taste that you'd rather not acquire....but I can tell you from personal experience that the taste of water grew on me both times I kicked diet soda to the curb. After a couple of weeks each time I went to water-only, I began feeling more energized. I no longer had the highs and lows from caffeine in my system. I feel better when I drink only water. simple as that.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    tina-fey-haha-no-o.gif
    <sips a diet coke>
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Without all the scientific background to back me up and just my personal experience, in a word: YES.

I didn't give it up for my "health" though, really. It was hockey season, my daughters coach asked that the kids not drink soda, so I figured that if she was doing it, I could, too. Sort of a solidarity thing for her. Was I setting a good example for her? Maybe. Probably. But I just figured it wasn't a bad idea so, why not?

It's been interesting to see our soda consumption since that day. I never started drinking it again, really. And when I have I can't because the carbonation is just to much for me now, that, and for me, personally, it's like drinking syrup anymore. So I don't drink soda.

My daughter will have one occasionally but if it's 1 in 3 mos I'd be shocked. She's like me and drinks a lot of water, neither of us really miss soda.

While I can't vouch that my health has changed either for the better or worse because I've stopped drinking soda, I can say that I'm happy I don't drink it anymore and that I don't have to depend on it.

If it's the caffeine that's making you like this, keep going, you'll start to feel better soon I promise. If it's the sugar/sweetner same answer. If it's worth it to you (and only you can answer this, and I'm not belittling you in that statement) then quit, if it's not that big of a deal, don't quit. Don't let anyone bully you into it. However if you've been told by your healthcare provider it'd be a good idea, I'd definitely give it a good try.

Keep it up.
  • blacroix8289
    Options
    I have been successful at giving up soda a day or 2, but not for any extensive period. I'm not a coffee drinker, so diet soda really gets me my caffeine fix. I would try limiting the number of cans of soda daily first, then after getting to 1, try 1 every other day. I admire your cold turkey approach.
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have never been a big soda drinker but one thing I DID love to drink was Red Bull. I loved the energy I got from them and the clearness of mind they provided. But when I started my health journey I knew they had to go. They were empty calories and I could only imagine how unhealthy they were (I never really wanted to think about that before)
    I quit cold turkey and the first 5 days I had a horrible headache from the lack of caffeine. Thank Goodness for Excedrin extra strength (which actually has caffeine)
    Once I got through those first few days and felt better, I no longer feel the 'need' for the rush of caffeine. I still crave the taste but because it's so addictive I steer clear. Addictions (in ANY form) rob you of your freedom to choose and that just plain SUCKS!

I'd rather keep my freedom.

Good luck on your journey
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about moderation.

Soda, whether diet or not, is not natural. It's syrup, high fructose corn syrup, caffeine, more chemicals than I care to prounounce and yet it's amazing and delicious. Coke Zero is seriously amazing and I love it, but I probably only have it once a month or so.

It's not a weight loss thing, I just don't like that junk going in my body in excess.
    This!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/sugary-vs-diet-drinks/

This article presents both sides of the argument. And points to, as many have suggested, moderation.
  • EasilyLed
    EasilyLed Posts: 23
    Options
    I am lucky/unlucky (depending on your view) in the case that I can't have a sweetener without a terrific headache. So diet drinks have never been much of an issue....... However after reading all this I am craving a full sugared cola!
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Like the OP, I can't have just one a week. If it's in the house, I will drink it. Makes it tough on my hubby who still likes to drink soda, but he is considerately only buying the smaller bottles for his lunches and not keeping 2 liters in the house (once it goes flat I won't drink it ... blech).

So I'm another all-or-nothing person. Occasionally (like last week) I get maaaaaaaaaaajor soda cravings, so I'll have a glass while we're eating out, or buy one little bottle or can, but for the most part I don't drink soda anymore. It's been years since I was a regular soda drinker.

I ALWAYS feel better when I'm off the soda. My muscles don't twitch, it's MUCH easier to stay hydrated, and I don't get the periodic caffeine-crash headaches from going too long without.

Short answer, yes, it's worth it.