Is giving up diet soda really worth it?

Options
I used to have about 5 cans a day for, oh, the past 15 years. Today is day 12 cold turkey. I am irritable, unfocused, and kind of a witch to be honest. No, I can't have like, one a week or whatever the same way someone could probably not have just "a little" crack cocaine. Could someone please tell me that they felt better after giving up soda? I know all of the articles that are like "diet soda is the devil and ruins your bones and gives you cancer etc." but I'm looking for someone who experienced readily identifiable benefits of giving up this diet carbonated nectar of the gods and not just "I abstractly reduced my chance of cancer and a heart attack"

Thanks!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    What did you do to replace the caffeine?
  • shadowharuka
    shadowharuka Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I completely gave up soda 3 years ago. One of the best choices I have made. I lost 15 pounds at the time simply from cutting soda. Plus after quitting it I actually had more energy, felt like I could do more things like exercise and all those caffeine withdrawal symptoms went away after awhile. Once I replaced all the soda with water my skin and hair looked better, my mood was better, I slept better and had more energy. So I'd say yes it is totally worth it.
  • mkathib
    mkathib Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey too...I had headaches for a while, but after a while they went away. I was drinking over six a day, so something had to give! I have saved money for one! Anyhow, I have tried some on numerous occasions, and just don't like the taste now! The taste seems awful and I just don't crave anymore. I'm not sure I "feel" better, but I do feel better about the fact I'm not putting that stuff in my body any longer. Good luck to you!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I've cut way back on my Diet Coke consumption because I can link it directly to feeling the munchies. Sweet tasting stuff makes me want to eat more stuff. Last night I broke down and had a second Diet Coke and I was soon into the bread and butter.

So, now it's time again to go off it. At least for me. It's a trigger. This is not true for everyone but it may be for you.

Now, as to the irritability, etc., yeah, that's probably a lack of caffeine. Unsweetened iced tea and coffee can come to the rescue and homemade iced tea is remarkably cheap and easy. I use a particularly lazy method. I fill a gallon jug with water, throw in 4 "family sized" or 6-8 regular tea bags in, put it in the fridge overnight, and voila: iced tea.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I could drink a 2L bottle of diet coke in a few minutes and still want more.

Here are the tangible benefits of giving it up:

My cravings for sweet food, and my appetite overall, dropped. I can eat fewer calories over the course of the day without it.
    I don't get headaches mid-afternoon from lack of caffeine. One 16-oz mug of French pressed coffee is plenty enough.
    I feel more satisfied by water, which I've always loved but didn't drink in favour of diet coke.
    If I do have a diet coke now, I get a stomach ache.
    I sleep way better due to not having caffeine in my system.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I have diet soda.. I need something to put my alcohol in..
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have diet coke about once or twice a day and have no plan to change that. I love my diet coke and used to drink about 4, 32oz mt dew's a day as well. I cut the mt dew and replaced those with water.

Make sure you get plenty of water but if you don't want to quit, why force yourself? Cut back to one or two and drink water the rest of the day.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've been diet soda free for about 15 minutes now, and I've never felt better!
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    I was drinking a ton of Pepsi max and i just cut it out and drink water. If i really need the boost i have tea/coffee.

My skin has definitely improved and im sure i feel loads better. When i do have a little treat of it if i eat out then it's so damn nice and a treat but ultimately im not going to revert back to drinking it all the time.

It is horribly addictive though. Just get used to drinking something else and you won't feel so inclined to have it after a while
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I had cut way back on my soda intake, but due to a crazy schedule this past week I've had more again. I feel drained, and know that it's in part due to the soda/coffee I've consumed in the past week. After today I'm determined to cut it out again, and hoping I'll be back full of energy once again.

BTW - my norm had been a 20 oz each day, plus on occasion a coffee or two 2-3 days per week. I was down to 1-2 cups of soda per week, plus 1 coffee 2 days per week, I'd like to get even lower than this time around.
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    Have not had a problem with it. I can't wait for a lecture about " jsut how bad aspartame is for you."
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut out diet soda, but I did cut way back, and I mostly drink caffeine free versions.

Diet soda didn't make me fat so I don't worry a whole lot about it.

7396232.png
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Yup. My malibu just wouldn't taste the same without it.
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you knew just how bad 'diet' sodas are for you health you would not want to put them back into your body. i gave up soda and coffee this year jan 2013 and havent' looked back. I use to drink 12-24 cans of coke a day since i was about 7 until last year when i only did so much and now none. best thing i have ever done for my health
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I tried to quit a few times over the years but it never lasted long.

In the end I decided I did not like being a quitter. Diet soda for life!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    is not just soda its all caffine
    yes its worth it
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options

Be a man and drink it straight.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had my last diet Dr. Pepper on March 29, 2013. Instead of soda, I make my own raspberry iced tea. It has a light raspberry taste, and a little caffeine to keep the withdrawl at bay. I also drink plenty of water.

Because I replaced a small amount of the caffeine with the iced tea, it helped me not feel miserable. However, I avoid artificial sweetened beverages! I add no sweetener to my tea. I believe, for me, I also had an addicition to the artificial sweetener!!

I feel much better....save money...and can save $2-$3 every time I eat out by just getting water!! Not that I eat out that much... lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've been diet soda free for my entire life. Real soda, that's a whole other story...and I have probably 3 of them per week (rather than the 3 per day I was drinking). I get my caffeine fix with coffee and iced tea.