Is giving up diet soda really worth it?

Options

Replies

• KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking soda almost completely (I'll have one maybe once a month). It's probably one of the most healthiest decisions I've made aside from quitting smoking. My skin is much more clear and I feel much more awake with out it after the initial withdrawals. Like others have noted, a bit of tea can help with the caffeine cravings. I've also noticed that my teeth aren't as sensitive as they used to be; I used to have trouble drinking ice cold water as it would hurt my teeth. After I quit, I started using Sensodyne to help with the repair and now they feel much better!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Oh, I switched to mostly iced tea with the occasional glass of coffee, so if it's caffeine withdrawal you might want to try having a little something with caffeine until you get over it. Just a thought!
  • dngoins
    dngoins Posts: 20
    Options
    Do some research on aspartame poisoning and see if it's really worth giving up!!!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I now only drink soda socially :) I think it's best appreciated as an occasional treat--you get the most effect from the caffeine that way and no withdrawal symptoms.

Even so, caffeine addiction is relatively harmless, if it does not disturb your sleep.
  • kathyvstephan
    Options
    bump
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I drank a tall can of Sugar-Free SoBe No FEAR every day:love::love: ....till they took it off the market. I cried. :sad: :sad: I then switched to a caffeine pill (yea its legal ). I did that for several years...1 a day keeps the black moods away! :laugh: And then I switched around medications, discovered I was sick to my stomach every.single.day.and figured it was the caffeine tablet. So I cut it out. Now, am proud to say am caffeine-free all the way.

I feel better, have tons of energy, don't have an upset stomach, and am a pretty happy person. I also put a dollar in my car glovebox for every time I "want" a diet coke but don't buy it....I used to have LOTS OF MONEY lol, now...I'm lucky to see a dollar pop into the stash every few months.
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    I use to drink 12-24 cans of coke a day

How is that possible? I couldn't drink that much even if I tried.

I used to drink about 6 cans a day at my peak, but that was essentially sipping on soda for most of my waking hours. Diet soda helped me lose weight because I used it to replace my regular soda consumption, which equates to a huge decrease in my daily caloric intake. However, I found that I had become addicted to diet soda and needed it all the time (I would feel crappy without it). I don't like that I'm beholden to something that I don't need, so I've cut my diet soda consumption to maybe one a day, with many days where I don't drink any. I no longer need it to feel more than crappy, which is good enough for me.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    caffine addiction isnt harmless-
    Top 10 Caffeine-Related Health Problems

Cardiovascular Problems

Caffeine increases your heart rate, elevates your blood pressure, and can contribute to the development of heart disease. Both decaf and regular coffee increase your cholesterol and homocysteine, the biochemical that science has linked to increased risk for heart attack. Caffeine is also linked to coronary vasospasms, the cause for 20% of all fatal heart attacks which kill otherwise perfectly healthy people.
    Stress

Caffeine stimulates the excretion of stress hormones which can produce increased levels of anxiety, irritability, muscular tension and pain, indigestion, insomnia, and decreased immunity. Increased levels of stress from caffeine can keep you from being able to make healthy responses to the normal daily stress everyone is subjected to in their lives.

Emotional Disturbances

Anxiety and irritability are hallmark mood disturbances associated with caffeine consumption, but equally important is depression and attention disorders. Depression may occur as part of the let down after the stimulant effects of caffeine wears off. It may also appear during the recovery period after quitting caffeine while the brain's chemistry is readjusted. Caffeine rather than increasing mental activity actually decreases blood flow to the brain by as much as 30% and negatively effects memory and mental performance.

Blood Sugar Swings

Diabetics and hypoglycemics should avoid caffeine because it stimulates a temporary surge in blood sugar which is then followed by an overproduction of insulin that causes a blood sugar crash within hours. If you're trying to loose weight, this rollercoaster will actually cause weight gain since insulin's message to the body is to store excess sugar as fat.

Gastrointestinal Problems

Many people experience a burning sensation in their stomach after drinking coffee because coffee increases the secretion of hydrochloric acid leading to an increased risk for ulcers. Coffee, including decaf, reduces the pressure on the valve between the esophagus and the stomach so that the highly acidic contents of the stomach pass up to the esophagus leading to heartburn and gastro-esophageal reflux disease. With America 's high consumption of coffee, its no wonder the best selling over-the-counter drugs are the so-called antacids.

Nutritional Deficiencies

Caffeine inhibits the absorption of some nutrients and causes the urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and trace minerals, all essential elements necessary for good health.
    Male Health Problems

Male Health Issues

Coffee is an irritant to the urinary tract and bladder. It is also a diuretic that aggravates conditions associated with frequent urination. Eliminating coffee and caffeine often relieves symptoms associated with frequent urination due to enlarged prostate glands.

Dr. Milton Krisiloff, M.D. has found that in the majority of cases, men can significantly reduce their risk for urinary and prostate problems by making dietary changes which include eliminating coffee and caffeine.

Female Health Problems

Fibrocystic breast disease, PMS, osteoporosis, infertility problems, miscarriage, low birth weight infants, and menopausal problems such as hot flashes are all exacerbated by caffeine consumption. Women on birth control pills are particularly at risk since they have a decreased ability to detoxify caffeine.

Adrenal Exhaustion

Caffeine consumption leads to eventual adrenal exhaustion which can leave you vulnerable to a variety of health disorders related to inflammation, autoimmunity, and fatigue.
    Aging

Many people find in their forties that they can no longer tolerate the same level of caffeine consumption as they could in their twenties and thirties. The production of DHEA, melatonin, and other vital hormones start to decline and caffeine speeds up that downhill drop. Caffeine dehydrates the body and contributes to the aging of the skin and kidneys. It has been shown to inhibit DNA repair and slow the ability of the liver to detoxify foreign toxins.

Exhausted Adrenal Glands

Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant. It causes the adrenal glands to secrete adrenaline, the hormone your body depends on in emergencies to elevate your heart rate, increase your respiration and blood pressure for a rapid flight-or-fight response. When you overuse stimulants, the adrenals become exhausted. If your caffeine sensitivity has diminished or you're one of those who claims you can drink 3 shots of espresso and go right to sleep, guess what? Your adrenals have given up responding. This means you have less resistance to stress, which leaves you vulnerable to health hazards such as environmental pollutants and disease pathogens

Severe Blood Sugar Swings

Caffeine forces the liver to release glycogen into the blood stream. The pancreas responds to the sudden rise in blood sugar by releasing insulin, the hormone which causes excess carbohydrates to be stored as fat. Within the span of an hour or two, the result is a sharp blood sugar drop resulting in a state of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). That's when you think it's time for another cup of coffee and the whole cycle starts up again.

Acid Imbalance

Over 208 acids in coffee can contribute to indigestion and a wide variety of health problems resulting from over-acidity associated with arthritic, rheumatic and skin irritations. Many people experience a burning sensation in their stomach after drinking coffee because coffee increases the secretion of acid in the stomach. Optimal health calls for an alkaline pH balance in the body.

Essential Mineral Depletion

Coffee inhibits the absorption of some nutrients and causes the urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and trace minerals, all essential elements necessary for good health. Women need to be concerned about osteoporosis as menopause sets in. Studies show that women who drink coffee have an increased incidence of osteoporosis compared to non-coffee drinkers. Men are not immune to osteoporosis either.

These are a number of health conditions for which doctors advise their patients to eliminate coffee and all caffeine from their diet.

Acid indigestion
    Anxiety, irritability and nervousness
    Candida or yeast problems
    Colitis, diverticulitis, diarrhea and other irritable bowel symptoms
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and other auto-immune disorders
    Diabetes or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
    Dizziness, Meniere's syndrome or tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
    Gout (Elevated Uric Acid levels)
    Heart disease or heart palpitations
    High blood pressure
    High cholesterol
    Insomnia and interrupted or poor quality sleep
    Liver disease and gallbladder problems such as gallstones
    Kidney or bladder problems including kidney stones
    Migraines or other vascular headaches
    Osteoporosis
    Skin irritations, rashes and dryness
    Ulcers, heartburn, and stomach problems such as hiatal hernias
    Urinary tract irritation

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com
  • vjm7981
    vjm7981 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am a Dt. Mt. Dew fanatic! I used to drink 6+ cans per day and have successfully cut down to 1-2 a day, but will I ever cut it out completely? Hell to the no! My response to those who like to ask the infamous questions such as "how can you put that stuff in your body" my response is walking out my front door every morning is "unhealthy". I'm not going to hole up in my house. YOLO and if I want my Dt. Mt. Dew, I'm going to have it and enjoy it! I do of course get OVER my recommended daily intake of water as well (24oz Camelbak x 6-7 fill ups per day) :wink:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I fill a gallon jug with water, throw in 4 "family sized" or 6-8 regular tea bags in, put it in the fridge overnight, and voila: iced tea.

I do this too, however, if you use cold brew tea bags it only takes 3 minutes to make a gallon of tea. :)
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    caffine addiction isnt harmless-
    Top 10 Caffeine-Related Health Problems

Cardiovascular Problems

Caffeine increases your heart rate, elevates your blood pressure, and can contribute to the development of heart disease. Both decaf and regular coffee increase your cholesterol and homocysteine, the biochemical that science has linked to increased risk for heart attack. Caffeine is also linked to coronary vasospasms, the cause for 20% of all fatal heart attacks which kill otherwise perfectly healthy people.
    Stress

Caffeine stimulates the excretion of stress hormones which can produce increased levels of anxiety, irritability, muscular tension and pain, indigestion, insomnia, and decreased immunity. Increased levels of stress from caffeine can keep you from being able to make healthy responses to the normal daily stress everyone is subjected to in their lives.

Emotional Disturbances

Anxiety and irritability are hallmark mood disturbances associated with caffeine consumption, but equally important is depression and attention disorders. Depression may occur as part of the let down after the stimulant effects of caffeine wears off. It may also appear during the recovery period after quitting caffeine while the brain's chemistry is readjusted. Caffeine rather than increasing mental activity actually decreases blood flow to the brain by as much as 30% and negatively effects memory and mental performance.

Blood Sugar Swings

Diabetics and hypoglycemics should avoid caffeine because it stimulates a temporary surge in blood sugar which is then followed by an overproduction of insulin that causes a blood sugar crash within hours. If you're trying to loose weight, this rollercoaster will actually cause weight gain since insulin's message to the body is to store excess sugar as fat.

Gastrointestinal Problems

Many people experience a burning sensation in their stomach after drinking coffee because coffee increases the secretion of hydrochloric acid leading to an increased risk for ulcers. Coffee, including decaf, reduces the pressure on the valve between the esophagus and the stomach so that the highly acidic contents of the stomach pass up to the esophagus leading to heartburn and gastro-esophageal reflux disease. With America 's high consumption of coffee, its no wonder the best selling over-the-counter drugs are the so-called antacids.

Nutritional Deficiencies

Caffeine inhibits the absorption of some nutrients and causes the urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and trace minerals, all essential elements necessary for good health.
    Male Health Problems

Male Health Issues

Coffee is an irritant to the urinary tract and bladder. It is also a diuretic that aggravates conditions associated with frequent urination. Eliminating coffee and caffeine often relieves symptoms associated with frequent urination due to enlarged prostate glands.

Dr. Milton Krisiloff, M.D. has found that in the majority of cases, men can significantly reduce their risk for urinary and prostate problems by making dietary changes which include eliminating coffee and caffeine.

Female Health Problems

Fibrocystic breast disease, PMS, osteoporosis, infertility problems, miscarriage, low birth weight infants, and menopausal problems such as hot flashes are all exacerbated by caffeine consumption. Women on birth control pills are particularly at risk since they have a decreased ability to detoxify caffeine.

Adrenal Exhaustion

Caffeine consumption leads to eventual adrenal exhaustion which can leave you vulnerable to a variety of health disorders related to inflammation, autoimmunity, and fatigue.
    Aging

Many people find in their forties that they can no longer tolerate the same level of caffeine consumption as they could in their twenties and thirties. The production of DHEA, melatonin, and other vital hormones start to decline and caffeine speeds up that downhill drop. Caffeine dehydrates the body and contributes to the aging of the skin and kidneys. It has been shown to inhibit DNA repair and slow the ability of the liver to detoxify foreign toxins.

Exhausted Adrenal Glands

Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant. It causes the adrenal glands to secrete adrenaline, the hormone your body depends on in emergencies to elevate your heart rate, increase your respiration and blood pressure for a rapid flight-or-fight response. When you overuse stimulants, the adrenals become exhausted. If your caffeine sensitivity has diminished or you're one of those who claims you can drink 3 shots of espresso and go right to sleep, guess what? Your adrenals have given up responding. This means you have less resistance to stress, which leaves you vulnerable to health hazards such as environmental pollutants and disease pathogens

Severe Blood Sugar Swings

Caffeine forces the liver to release glycogen into the blood stream. The pancreas responds to the sudden rise in blood sugar by releasing insulin, the hormone which causes excess carbohydrates to be stored as fat. Within the span of an hour or two, the result is a sharp blood sugar drop resulting in a state of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). That's when you think it's time for another cup of coffee and the whole cycle starts up again.

Acid Imbalance

Over 208 acids in coffee can contribute to indigestion and a wide variety of health problems resulting from over-acidity associated with arthritic, rheumatic and skin irritations. Many people experience a burning sensation in their stomach after drinking coffee because coffee increases the secretion of acid in the stomach. Optimal health calls for an alkaline pH balance in the body.

Essential Mineral Depletion

Coffee inhibits the absorption of some nutrients and causes the urinary excretion of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and trace minerals, all essential elements necessary for good health. Women need to be concerned about osteoporosis as menopause sets in. Studies show that women who drink coffee have an increased incidence of osteoporosis compared to non-coffee drinkers. Men are not immune to osteoporosis either.

These are a number of health conditions for which doctors advise their patients to eliminate coffee and all caffeine from their diet.

Acid indigestion
    Anxiety, irritability and nervousness
    Candida or yeast problems
    Colitis, diverticulitis, diarrhea and other irritable bowel symptoms
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and other auto-immune disorders
    Diabetes or hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
    Dizziness, Meniere's syndrome or tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
    Gout (Elevated Uric Acid levels)
    Heart disease or heart palpitations
    High blood pressure
    High cholesterol
    Insomnia and interrupted or poor quality sleep
    Liver disease and gallbladder problems such as gallstones
    Kidney or bladder problems including kidney stones
    Migraines or other vascular headaches
    Osteoporosis
    Skin irritations, rashes and dryness
    Ulcers, heartburn, and stomach problems such as hiatal hernias
    Urinary tract irritation

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com
    You could find something like this about eating broccoli or lentils.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for the diet soda, but as for regular clog your arteries soda, it gets easier. My problem wasn't soda though, it was sweet tea. I lost 15lbs the first month after giving up soda/sweet tea. Then I lost another 16lbs after changing what I ate and when I ate it. I lost my way on this journey (yatta yatta yatta excuse excuse excuse) but I will say cutting out caffeine has been hard, but worth it. Just if you're going to do it, DO IT. Don't say I'll have a few cans here and there, JUST QUIT. It's going to suck for a week or two, but it is worth it.
  • smantha32
    Options
    I gave up all sodas, at first i gave up all regular sodas and switched to diet sodas then last year i gave up diet sodas. I don't have as much sweet cravings as i used to and no more muscle twitches and also noticed that my restless leg syndrome is not even there anymore. Never thought about that... hmm. Wonder if it has to do with it. But yeah if you can continue without soda do it, if you can't then one a day shouldn't hurt.

Artificial sweeteners definitely cause the tremors. Plus other things. And not just Aspartame, Splenda has side effects also.
    I've gone to mostly water and Tea, but I've found that sodas sweetened with Stevia that you can buy at whole foods taste just like commercial diet drinks without the side effects.
    They cost twice as much though, so I limit them to one or two a week.
  • smantha32
    Options
    I was drinking Diet Sprite, but it wasn't helping too well. I recently discovered Zevia ginger ale. Much better!! And zero calories as it's sweetened with Stevia.

Zevia rootbeer is really good. :)
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I was a die-hard diet cola drinker for 20 years (other than pregnancies). I drank about a 2 liter a day for a long time. I gave soda up for lent and decided to keep with it after. I might have a can or 2 a week now and but it doesn't taste as good to me. I don't crave it or have to have it like I used to. I have a cup of coffee in the morning and if I need the caffeine I have some unsweetened tea. I personally feel better being "off" it but to each his own, I wouldn't criticize anyone who still drank it.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I've cut back a lot. I used to drink probably 80-120 ounces a day, with some being caffeine-free. I would also water it down to make it last longer. I've also given it up completely in the past, but I always ended up back with it.

I had 2 or 3 last Monday and Tuesday, then tapered down to 1 the rest of the week, and none on the weekend. Don't get me wrong, I'm still having iced tea and using Mio Energy in my water early in the day, and I'm still using regular Mio the rest of the day. But I can drink 16-32 oz. of plain water when I'm working out.

I know that artificial sweeteners are poison, they're destroying the ozone, killing kittens, yada yada yada. But I don't drink, don't smoke, don't use recreational drugs, eat my vegetables, and do weights, cardio and yoga. So everybody can just leave me alone about my diet soda and artificial sweeteners! The way I see it, if you don't like 'em, don't use 'em, and as far as what everybody else is doing, it's not hurting you, so mind your own beeswax!
  • Katey12891
    Katey12891 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had my last diet Dr. Pepper on March 29, 2013. Instead of soda, I make my own raspberry iced tea. It has a light raspberry taste, and a little caffeine to keep the withdrawl at bay. I also drink plenty of water.

Because I replaced a small amount of the caffeine with the iced tea, it helped me not feel miserable. However, I avoid artificial sweetened beverages! I add no sweetener to my tea. I believe, for me, I also had an addicition to the artificial sweetener!!

I feel much better....save money...and can save $2-$3 every time I eat out by just getting water!! Not that I eat out that much... lol

I wish we got diet dr pepper here! The only diet drinks we get are power aid zero, coke zero, diet coke, sugar free L&P diet sprite zero, chi zero, sugar free ginger beer and lemon lime and bitters. I sure miss sugar free creaming soda from Australia!
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    When I drink diet cola I wake up puffy the next morning, and I want sugary things very badly. So I try to stay away from it as much as possible.
  • vickeydorton
    vickeydorton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I quit diet pop and meat April 2012- did real good for a year- did not miss them much but did miss the meat- so now we only eat organic meat, which has made me start drinking diet pop some too- and I do have to say, that the days I have a diet pop, I eat a lot more- they make you want to eat- good luck
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Hang on. I need to put down this diet coke down to type my response.
    Diet soda has not hindered my progress whatsoever.