Is smoking bad or good for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Is this a question you feel ok with asking? Is smoking "ok" for anything? Not being judgemental; I smoked for 23 years, and quit 10 years ago. You're an adult who "just started". No, smoking is just plain bad for everything, including every thing for every person who has to be near you.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    My mother always said she didn't want to give up smoking because she didn't want to gain weight.
    An extra 5lb would not have killed her.
    COPD did.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I just Googled it, and an adult lung weighs about 2.5lbs, so until you eventually have one removed after several years of smoking, it isn't probably going to help you lose weight.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    So you started smoking to help you lose weight?? Yeah, no...
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Smoking is bad for everything!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Current Weight: 244 lb

How many packs a day are you smoking? Have you tried increasing or decreasing the number to see what happens?

I just started :disappointed:

^Just quit.
    Seriously! Trust me, you can lose the weight without smoking.
    You do not need to smoke to lose weight. I watched my mother die from emphysema, my oldest sister die @ age 54 from lung cancer, both life long smokers. Do not do this to yourself..............please.

:( i will finish one pack then i will quit. 16 cigarettes are left :wink:

And why do the 16 remaining cigs need smoked? Seriously, just quit.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what's more sad. That I'm not entirely sure that this is a troll post, or that there might be someone out there in this day and age who would think talking up smoking to lose weight is a good idea.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well, for some people the cigarette would take the place of a snack (hence why people gain weight after quitting) so you *could* lose weight but overall it's obviously a terrible choice. As someone who's asthmatic from second hand smoke trying to do workouts is not a good time.

Quit now and eat some frozen grapes or something.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what's more sad. That I'm not entirely sure that this is a troll post, or that there might be someone out there in this day and age who would think talking up smoking to lose weight is a good idea.

This.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

This.

+1
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter? Just don't.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    The part where you smell awful and have nasty hands and hair and skin might reduce the number of social occasions to which you're invited, so... less temptation to eat cake and stuff?

But then, the lung cancer. And the smoker's voice/cough. And again, the reeking horror of how you smell everywhere you go.

You can't smell it yourself, because you've burned out your sense of smell temporarily. But seriously dude, you stink. Everybody who doesn't smoke within nose-shot of you is cringing inwardly all the time.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Smoking is great for weight loss. Don't see heavy people in the final stages of death from lung cancer.

Don't smoke.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    This has to be a troll. This has to be a troll. This has to be a troll... *clinging on to some hope for the human race*
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I hear stomas don't weigh that much.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So, let's separate nicotine from smoking. Smoking is simply a means of delivering nicotine to your body, just like eating delivers nutrition. You can get nutrition without eating (Soylent, total parenteral nutrition, etc), and you can get nicotine without smoking.

Nicotine DOES affect weight, and you do experience a weight gain directly attributable to cessation of nicotine, primarily due to its effects as a mild appetite suppressant.

However, nicotine is a physiologically addictive substance (like for realz, not like sugar, carbs, or crappy 80's synthpop), mucks with neurotransmitters, contributes to hardening of the arteries, peripheral artery disease, and it elevates heart rate, blood pressure, and cholesterol.

There's a whole raft of reasons NOT to use nicotine. Don't use weight loss as a basis for continuing its use. Especially if you're going to use burning it and inhaling the smoke as a delivery mechanism.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm disturbed that you want to smoke the remaining 16 cigarettes... among other things.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I hear stomas don't weigh that much.

For some reason the only thing I can think of is the old lady in Beetlejuice with the slit throat.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I can attest, as a former smoker and current user of nicotine, that nicotine use does not affect my weight at all. After I stopped the actual smoking of cigarettes, even though I did not give up nicotine, I gained nearly 20 pounds the first year.

What happened to me was when I quit smoking, my taste buds came back to life like CRAZY. I actually stopped liking the taste of coffee and only drank one cup in the morning. When I stopped drinking coffee so much, I ate other food in its place. I have since started drinking coffee again. Caffeine is way more of an appetite suppressant than nicotine is, at least for me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Smoking is bad for living in general if you value your health at all.

+1