Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    mathjulz wrote: »
    Zoebaikie wrote: »
    No more bloating! Bad skin and better digestion from happy gut! Also we are not baby cows so why do we drink their milk? Weird! I love getting protein and calcium from soy & almond milk :)

I've drunk milk all my life, and my skin is glowing and healthy (though it wasn't in my teens, lol). I credit that to proper skin care :innocent: I also haven't had a lot of gas or bloating. Or inflammation. Hmmm.

As far as "we aren't baby cows so why do we drink their milk?" ... We also aren't carrot, beet, yam, or onion plants, so why do we consume their roots? We aren't hot pepper seeds or birds, so why eat their fruits (the heat doesn't affect birds, whose digestive systems don't destroy the seeds but instead pass them through and help spread them, unlike mammals who do taste the heat and do destroy the seeds). In fact, just about anything and everything we eat is "meant" for a different purpose. So why single out milk?

OP - since you are lactose intolerant, it makes sense that cutting it out decreases a lot of your discomfort! I'm glad you found what works for you :smile: As another poster pointed out, make sure that the soya milk has enough calcium, since it doesn't occur naturally in soy. The same thing goes for nut milks.

Thank you. I never understood that argument.

Also, almond milk has 1g of protein and soy 5 to 6g for the equivalent 8g from dairy.

...and almond/soy milks are 1000% less tasty and satisfying.

I've never had issues with lactose intolerance, love dairy of all sorts (milk, yogurt, cheese, cream in my coffee, whey protein, etc.). It has absolutely zero adverse effects upon me and plenty of advantages, so I have no reason to cut it out of my diet. I can see why people who are lactose intolerant or vegan (ethical reasons) may cut it out of theirs, but it's definitely not a "one size fits all" issue.

Yep! Fake milks do NOT compare to cows milk for taste, or macros either. I fill up a measuring cup in the morning with half cows milk and half almond milk which I use in my cups of tea. I can handle almond milk in smoothies, but to drink on its own or added into cereal is just a travesty to my tastebuds :confounded:

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    No more bloating! Bad skin and better digestion from happy gut! Also we are not baby cows so why do we drink their milk? Weird! I love getting protein and calcium from soy & almond milk :)

I've drunk milk all my life, and my skin is glowing and healthy (though it wasn't in my teens, lol). I credit that to proper skin care :innocent: I also haven't had a lot of gas or bloating. Or inflammation. Hmmm.

As far as "we aren't baby cows so why do we drink their milk?" ... We also aren't carrot, beet, yam, or onion plants, so why do we consume their roots? We aren't hot pepper seeds or birds, so why eat their fruits (the heat doesn't affect birds, whose digestive systems don't destroy the seeds but instead pass them through and help spread them, unlike mammals who do taste the heat and do destroy the seeds). In fact, just about anything and everything we eat is "meant" for a different purpose. So why single out milk?

OP - since you are lactose intolerant, it makes sense that cutting it out decreases a lot of your discomfort! I'm glad you found what works for you :smile: As another poster pointed out, make sure that the soya milk has enough calcium, since it doesn't occur naturally in soy. The same thing goes for nut milks.

Also, almond milk has 1g of protein and soy 5 to 6g for the equivalent 8g from dairy.

I've never had issues with lactose intolerance, love dairy of all sorts (milk, yogurt, cheese, cream in my coffee, whey protein, etc.). It has absolutely zero adverse effects upon me and plenty of advantages, so I have no reason to cut it out of my diet. I can see why people who are lactose intolerant or vegan (ethical reasons) may cut it out of theirs, but it's definitely not a "one size fits all" issue.
    ^^^This...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    when i went vegan my skin improved immensely i literally never and i mean never break out anymore and my seasonal horrendous allergies disappeared

so i would say dropping the pus filled cow fluid from my diet has been a very positive experience
    That's a little harsh...
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

I'm very meticulous with my skin care. I get these little bumps under my skin on my chin and temples, barely noticeable, but they completely disappear when i stop drinking milk

Sorry, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheeck there (hence the halo emoticon) - I didn't mean to imply those who don't have good skin don't have good hygiene. My main point, really, is that it is all anecdotal. I've never seen studies to determine if there is a link between milk consumption and skin clarity.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    No more bloating! Bad skin and better digestion from happy gut! Also we are not baby cows so why do we drink their milk? Weird!

"I've decided I don't like something so why don't others not like it as well?"
  • J72FIT
    Options
    No more bloating! Bad skin and better digestion from happy gut! Also we are not baby cows so why do we drink their milk? Weird!
    Because we learned how to domesticate them...
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options

I don't mean this as an attack on anyone's dairy-drinking ways, but that doesn't really make sense as a counter argument either. Just putting that out there. :)

Humans are frugivores, therefore we eat vegetables although we are not carrots, beets, yams or onions ourselves. I wish I was a delicious beet though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    There have been lawsuits in both the UK and the US regarding just how many (or actually, how few) almonds there are in so called almond milk. You know you can make your own and then control exactly what goes into it. Always read the labels so you know what you are consuming.

Yes, I make my own almond milk. After they are soaked, I remove the skins and save them for smoothies. I don't strain and discard the pulp cuz that seems wasteful. Therefore, my milk is a little thick, but since I'm using it in things like chia seed pudding, that's fine. I don't add the vanilla or dates. Water and almonds!

http://wellnessmama.com/366/organic-almond-milk-recipe/
    http://minimalistbaker.com/overnight-chocolate-chia-seed-pudding/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    bgorum wrote: »
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I haven't had dairy in quite a while and I do not miss it! Soy milks and almond/coconut/cashew milks are all high in protein, b12 and calcium

I don't think I have never seen cashew milk in a supermarket my life, but it sounds worth a go so might have to hunt it out. Does it work OK in hot drinks?

I love unsweetened cashew milk. It doesn't have the sweet flavor that almond milk has, and therefore doesn't alter the taste of a savory food or drink as much. It tastes more like regular old milk to me. I use it in recipes wherever I would normally use milk.

Thanks. I'm intrigued, I'll have to find some.

You can also make your own cashew milk from raw unsalted cashews. I haven't tried this recipe but don't see why it wouldn't work: http://toriavey.com/how-to/2013/06/how-to-make-cashew-milk/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I'm very meticulous with my skin care. I get these little bumps under my skin on my chin and temples, barely noticeable, but they completely disappear when i stop drinking milk

Sorry, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheeck there (hence the halo emoticon) - I didn't mean to imply those who don't have good skin don't have good hygiene. My main point, really, is that it is all anecdotal. I've never seen studies to determine if there is a link between milk consumption and skin clarity.

:smile: No worries. I found out about it when I googled "dairy+acne", loads of links came up.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    when i went vegan my skin improved immensely i literally never and i mean never break out anymore and my seasonal horrendous allergies disappeared

so i would say dropping the pus filled cow fluid from my diet has been a very positive experience
    That's a little harsh...

I find these comments only come from the type of Vegan no one wants to be friends with.
  • pmbgrp
    pmbgrp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can do almond milk, etc. with no issue but what about yogurt? I love my Greek yogurt!
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    I find these comments only come from the type of Vegan no one wants to be friends with.

And I find this comment only comes from the type of person no one wants to be friends with.

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

From Alan Agaron

Argument #2: Milk (or cow babyfood) has a different composition compared to human milk. Different nutirents for different species.

Hypocrisy versus individual tolerance. I love it when I hear folks say that human adults weren’t meant to consume milk, much less the milk derived from a different animal species. Are you kidding me? So who gets to decide which parts of the cow we should consume? Let me get this straight–we can eat the cow’s muscles, but not the milk that laid the foundation for the growth of those same muscles? Huh? The logic is just too rock-solid for me. Folks who carry the torch against milk consumption typically will have some degree of allergy or digestive intolerance to it, and they take the liberty to project their personal problems onto the world around them. Many of these same “health-minded” people consume whey protein by the tubload –and this is not only a milk product, but an engineered refined milk product to boot. I suggest you raise a salute to cow’s teats the next time you flex your muscles, and let the rest of us enjoy our milk in peace.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

I don't mean this as an attack on anyone's dairy-drinking ways, but that doesn't really make sense as a counter argument either. Just putting that out there. :)

Humans are frugivores, therefore we eat vegetables although we are not carrots, beets, yams or onions ourselves. I wish I was a delicious beet though.

I'm not sure where the distinction is. Why is it not normal to consume one substance produced for another purpose (milk, to nourish the baby of that species) and normal to consume another (parts of plants, produced to help nourish the plant, aid reproduction, or something else)?

Humans are omnivores - we can literally eat a huge variety of substances and extract nutrients from them. Vegetables (leaves, roots, flowers), seeds (including nuts, grains, and legumes), fruits, fungus (mushrooms, yeast), meat of another animal, even insects. The species homo sapiens has thrived as we have because of how well we adapt, including our digestive system. So why is it that one specific adaptation in a part of the population (the ability to continue to digest lactose past babyhood) is singled out as "unnatural" and "meant for something else" and the rest aren't?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

The pus thing comes up. So how many people die each year from pus in pastured milk? About as many that die from killer whale attacks?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

The pus thing comes up. So how many people die each year from pus in pastured milk? About as many that die from killer whale attacks?

More like, about as many that die from being struck twice by lightning while riding on the back of a killer whale at 3:48 pm on the third Tuesday of the month.

But propaganda sounds so much more convincing when one uses gross words to conjure disgusting images of things that don't fit their agenda.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

^^^This...

I havent had any skin problems from dairy products. My favorites are goat milk, goat cheese and of course yogurt. I like not having to supplement with calcium tablets. Sorry for those who have food intolerances, it can be an adjustment to kick a whole area of food out of your life!
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yeah, maybe you're missing the point here ...it's not about how many die drinking it. Duh, obviously it's safe to drink, even though there's some 'pus'/'dead white blood cells'/'whatever you want to call it' in there. But some feel both physically and emotionally better for not drinking it.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    There are many things which could cause an intolerance to milk. If you are allergic to anything they add to the feed for dairy cattle, it is possible to have enough residue show up in the milk to cause a reaction (Such as antibiotics). If you enjoy milk and have access to organic, you could try that to see if you have the same reaction.