coffee instead of soda?

Options
I just had a baby 2 1/2 weeks ago and I also have a 5yo & 2yo. I am very tired and having a hard time waking up. I usually rely on soda to wake up. It just tatstes so good. Lol. But I know it's not good for me or my weight loss goals. So I've been drinking more coffee. Is that a better choice or no not really? And the tough part is the caffeine. I need it. I am addicted. So I can't just stop drinking cold Turkey.

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    IMO, yes coffee is better as long as you don't load it up with high calorie junk.

Most regular soda has either high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweetener, both of which I prefer to avoid. So if I am splurging on a soda I like to get real sugar - usually a Mexican coke at a restaurant.

ETA: I do use a flavored coffee creamer (not good for you, and I know it), but I measure it and fit it into my calories for the day.

ETA 2: Also the soda is bad for your bone health.
  • leannamvaughan
    leannamvaughan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yep, coffee is better. One thought I had was that the energy you get from soda is probably a combo caffeine and sugar high. When you switch to coffee and take out the sugar (I think it's a good choice) you will probably feel a lag.

Sugar is super addictive and high amounts of processed sugars are very bad for you. It's a great idea to work them out of your diet.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I will be the unpopular person here and say if you can fit pop into your calorie allotment for the day then go for it. If coffee is easier for you to fit into your daily calories then I would try that. I don't think large amounts of pop is good for a person but if you want to have one and can fit it in then do it. I am not a coffee drinker but I love me a diet pop and I have one or two a day, still healthy, and still losing weight.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    I will be the unpopular person here and say if you can fit pop into your calorie allotment for the day then go for it. If coffee is easier for you to fit into your daily calories then I would try that. I don't think large amounts of pop is good for a person but if you want to have one and can fit it in then do it. I am not a coffee drinker but I love me a diet pop and I have one or two a day, still healthy, and still losing weight.

+1. If you like the soda and fits in your calories, it's not hurting your weight loss. If you are having a tough time sticking to your calorie goal and are looking for ways to save some unnecessary calories, then the coffee would be better, assuming you aren't adding in a lot of calories to the coffee.
  • tburgardt
    tburgardt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut back on sugar. Everyday I will put less sugar in my cup. But I do use a French vanilla creamer
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    tburgardt wrote: »
    I am trying to cut back on sugar. Everyday I will put less sugar in my cup. But I do use a French vanilla creamer

I would make sure you are weighing the creamer, unless it's a diet creamer, as those can be high calorie.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Coffee with sugar and cream could easily have the same amount of calories as a soda. If it fits in your daily calories, either is fine, but coffee has a lot more caffeine.

What about diet soda and coffee with artificial sweetener? I do both, but are zero calorie (or nearly), no guilt pleasures.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    I put 2 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp half and half in my coffee and it has 70 calories for an 8 ounce cup. I drink 2 cups every morning so that is 140 calories which is the same as one 12 ounce Coke. If you really want the Coke then you can make room for one Coke per day in your calorie goal. If you want to drink black coffee then that will definitely have less calories and coffee does have more caffeine. Another option is Breakfast Tea. I like Irish Breakfast tea and I don't put anything in it so it is calorie free. But honestly I am not planning to give up my two cups of coffee every morning so I just work it into my daily goal.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new little one!

So, this is my breakfast today; it's full of work coffee and so forth.
    cyj2rzkvqrsd.jpeg

However. I will have a can of Coke Zero this afternoon. I have cut down from a Big Gulp to a can a day, and have no plans to cut further at this point.

If it fits and helps you reach goals then go for it!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I agree that coffee is probably a better choice versus pop, dependent on what you put in it. Personally, I put cream or soymilk and sugar in my coffee. I find artificial sweeteners disgusting, so have been slowly decreasing the amount of sugar I can tolerate. Using a light vanilla soy or almond milk are a nice lower calorie replacement for cream too. Also, if you're looking for caffeine, you might want to experiment with black tea.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, but I do drink a lot of tea.

I had a long term diet coke habit, particularly in the summer. It gets pretty addictive when you drink it frequently, even with the overpowering artificial sweetener taste. I would sometime crave it after workouts in the evening, which would keep me up at night. (Exercise + caffeine = yowza!) As I have gotten (ahem) older, it has gotten harder on my stomach, which has finally gotten me to stop drinking Big Gulps every day in the summer.

Anyway, for me the best alternative is hot or iced tea, which has just about the same amount of caffeine. I sweeten with Nutrasweet, but much less than is in DC. I like iced tea with milk and Nutrasweet ("latte"), which has a nice amount of caffeine, is cool, and is easy on the stomach. Dunkin Donuts will sell it to you that way, although they look confused and offer to put in lemon as well (don't do it, it curdles the milk). Starbucks will also sell it that way at a higher price and better tea.

Why tea? There are hundreds of types. If you add in flavored teas, there are thousands. David's Tea sells an amazing variety of flavored teas which help to stave off hunger. (Purists don't like flavored teas, but luckily, I'm not a purist.)
  • tburgardt
    Options
    To be honest I didn't even think about looking at the cream or even weighing it.
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

I would make sure you are weighing the creamer, unless it's a diet creamer, as those can be high calorie.

• tburgardt
    Options
    thank you. And your breakfast sounds really good. I haven't had grapefruit in idk how long!
    Congrats on the new little one!

So, this is my breakfast today; it's full of work coffee and so forth.
    cyj2rzkvqrsd.jpeg

However. I will have a can of Coke Zero this afternoon. I have cut down from a Big Gulp to a can a day, and have no plans to cut further at this point.

If it fits and helps you reach goals then go for it!

• tburgardt
    Options
    so I'm not a tea fan. I just don't like the flavor of just plan tea. I've tried hot and iced. Maybe I'll have to try the flavored maybe that will be my best bet.

I had a long term diet coke habit, particularly in the summer. It gets pretty addictive when you drink it frequently, even with the overpowering artificial sweetener taste. I would sometime crave it after workouts in the evening, which would keep me up at night. (Exercise + caffeine = yowza!) As I have gotten (ahem) older, it has gotten harder on my stomach, which has finally gotten me to stop drinking Big Gulps every day in the summer.

Anyway, for me the best alternative is hot or iced tea, which has just about the same amount of caffeine. I sweeten with Nutrasweet, but much less than is in DC. I like iced tea with milk and Nutrasweet ("latte"), which has a nice amount of caffeine, is cool, and is easy on the stomach. Dunkin Donuts will sell it to you that way, although they look confused and offer to put in lemon as well (don't do it, it curdles the milk). Starbucks will also sell it that way at a higher price and better tea.

Why tea? There are hundreds of types. If you add in flavored teas, there are thousands. David's Tea sells an amazing variety of flavored teas which help to stave off hunger. (Purists don't like flavored teas, but luckily, I'm not a purist.)

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I've lost 85lbs, and quitting soda cold turkey was HUGE!! I never ate a lot, but I drank 300-800 calories a day in soda..I switched to MIO, which is a 0 calorie sweetened water additive, but then as winter came to Colorado, I switched to coffee with splenda..still basically 0 calories, but warm and very addicting! I loooove coffee now and am very happy to be done with soda's =)
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    so I'm not a tea fan. I just don't like the flavor of just plan tea. I've tried hot and iced. Maybe I'll have to try the flavored maybe that will be my best bet.

Too bad you don't like tea. It is my savior. I enjoy it iced or hot with sweet & low. Sometimes I add French Vanilla or Pumpkin Spice creamer to my hot tea. I use loose tea or bags, no bottled stuff. I rarely have sodas anymore.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children (6, 4 and 21 months) and I drink a lot of coffee, and it hasn't slowed down my weight loss at all. My 21 month old has never slept through the night, and I work as a teacher, so caffeine is kind of essential lol. I just have milk in it, but obviously if you have loads of sugar it's not the best option. I'm not a fan of soda, and never have been, so I've never had to choose between coffee or soda. If you drink a decent coffee (I buy Nescafé Azera or Carte Noire Instinct) then you don't need to sweeten it.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How about a zero calorie soda like Coke Zero or a sparkling water? I have tried it and honestly can't taste the difference between it and regular coke.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I've been a pretty heavy coffee drinker for a few years (about 4-6 cups per day) always loaded up with creamer. I've recently switched to taking caffeine pills. I found some that are 200mg, which is about 2 regular cups of coffee. The pills also come in 100mg if you don't need a huge dose. If you look online theres a TON of pills that have caffeine + other "energy supplements". I suggest getting something that has 1 ingredient: caffeine.

I made the switch for 2 reasons:
    1. I used to get free coffee, now I have to pay 2-4$/cup and a bottle of 80 caffeine pills costs ~5$ at Walmart. I usually take 2 pills per day, 1 in the am when I first get up and one when I used to have my second dose of coffee, right after lunch.
    2. I realized how many calories I was getting from coffee, and it was just crazy. Caffeine pills have 0 calories.
  • tburgardt
    Options
    I definitely know what you mean by a lot of coffee. Lol. I have a 5yo, 2 1/2yo, and now the newborn who just turned 3 weeks this past Friday.
    I have 3 children (6, 4 and 21 months) and I drink a lot of coffee, and it hasn't slowed down my weight loss at all. My 21 month old has never slept through the night, and I work as a teacher, so caffeine is kind of essential lol. I just have milk in it, but obviously if you have loads of sugar it's not the best option. I'm not a fan of soda, and never have been, so I've never had to choose between coffee or soda. If you drink a decent coffee (I buy Nescafé Azera or Carte Noire Instinct) then you don't need to sweeten it.