Funny excuses for not losing weight or dieting

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    "The kids don't like anything but junk food. Maybe when they're grown up..."

Umm... if you don't give your kids McDonalds, they won't eat McDonalds, will they? And just because they eat junk doesn't mean you have to, does it? Maybe I just don't get it because I don't have kids?

I have four kids, and no, it's not you just not getting it! I do keep ice cream, chips, fruit snacks and the like in the house (not all the time, but they are kids... I think it's fine for them to have those things now and then), I just don't eat them (or at least not very often, and only in small quantities). Yes, I take them to McDonald's now and then, but I order something that fits my goals (it is possibly to stick with one's goals even when dining out... Well, mcd's isn't exactly "dining", lol, but you get my drift). Of course, I want to teach my kids healthy habits and be a good example for them. I can't wait until they are out of the house to do that! Better to establish those good habits when they are young.

It's a bs excuse, and it's not good for the kids either.

• ChelseaPeanut
    ChelseaPeanut Posts: 15 Member
    How about "As long as I'm healthy it's OK that I'm overweight"....Uh, what? Usually obesity is a pretty good indicator of 'un'health... :/
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    I guess it's not funny by itself, but its funny that people in this thread have basically used this excuse or believe in the "naturally" thin.

"I'm not like my (grandma, husband, brother, etc) who is naturally thin."

• joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    I'll have to buy a new wardrobe if I lose weight.

I had often heard slim friends say that (if they gained weight) and I always thought how ridiculous it sounded :)
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    The one about healthy food being too expensive, especially for people on a pension. It can be done but you get a minimum amount and end up with the rest of the rice, bread and pasta to live the rest of the month. So thats my excuse. Oh yes, and my knees hurt too bad to go back to the gym. Like they dont have upper body workouts at the gym, right?
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Just the other day someone was on this forum complaining that losing weight caused their wrinkles to be more visible.

True, that. I'm afraid of that also, I have not one wrinkle at 66 and I'm sure my skin is going to crinkle if I ever decide to lose what the government said I need to lose
  • gibbeylea
    gibbeylea Posts: 4 Member
    murp4069 wrote: »
    I'll have to buy a new wardrobe if I lose weight.

Haha I've actually caught myself saying silly stuff like that. I've lost 15 lbs and I'm getting to the point that almost none of my pants are fitting me...and I have so many pairs! Replacing them for smaller versions is going to be so expensive...

Try a local seamstress, you might be surprised how little it costs to tailor clothes (compared to buying new), I have had items taken in a size or two for less than $5-10 depending on the item. Why spend more money on transition clothes than you have too? I know I have at least 4 sizes more to drop, that's a lot of clothes to go through....

As for stupid excuses I have heard or used? hmm my most common is "I don't have time". I finally figured out you don't FIND the time, you MAKE the time.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    I used to tell myself (among many other excuses), "If I lose weight and am skinny, my cat won't be able to sit on my side while I lay in bed."

The funny thing is, I've lost 108 pounds, and it's true. She tried the other night to lay on top of my side and there wasn't enough fat, so she slid off and cuddled against me instead of on top of me. And that was just as lovely.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    To avoid exercising: "If I lift weights, I will get big muscles and I don't want to look big" *eyeroll*
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    I find that behind all of the excuses is just plain old ignorance. For real... people are afraid of what they don't know so they come up with every excuse in the book...

I think this was my main issue before I got serious and started losing the weight and tracking/weighing. I was just too afraid to face the truth of my weight gain and how little control I had over myself. Once I faced it I was able to get a better grasp on things and educate myself on nutrition and proper healthy weight loss.
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    edited February 2016
    [/quote]
    I don't think this is true. You eat what I cook or you don't eat. Period. After a couple of nights of forgoing dinner, they'll eat whatever you put in front of them.
    [/quote]

If the person who said this has children, they either have very obedient compliant children, the kids aren't very creative/sneaky, or they have locks on the food storage in their house. In my house, if I tried "You eat what I cook or you don't eat. Period." my daughters would sneak into the refrigerator or pantry and get something later when I'm out of the room or they would find ways to hide food in their rooms. It might be something junky if I have it in the house, or it might be peanut butter and jam on 12 grain bread, but my daughters will find something to eat that isn't what I cooked if I turn it into a power struggle and try to force them to eat something they don't want to eat.

So I cook things that work for me and my food plan that I know they will eat too, I try to set an example and talk to them about healthier choices when looking for a snack, and I limit the amount of empty-calorie crap that comes into my house. The rest is outside my control.

Sorry, I guess this is getting too far off topic of "excuses not to lose weight."
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    How about "As long as I'm healthy it's OK that I'm overweight"....Uh, what? Usually obesity is a pretty good indicator of 'un'health... :/

you know if we go by BMI - I'm obese but BMI doesn't account for muscle mass -unhealthy would/should imply high blood pressure , cholesterol and all those sort of things.

However, I agree with you.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    My favorites:

Only a dog wants a skinny bone.
    I'm not fat, I'm thick/ built solid.
    My kids take up all my time, I'll lose weight when they're grown.
    I can't take time away from my man to exercise.
    My man and kids don't like health food.
    Weight loss is just selfish and egotistical. Vanity is a sin (oh yeah they went there).
    I'm tall so I can carry all this weight well.
    I'd rather be fat than have loose skin/ sweat/ look anorexic.
    I can't exercise or I'll sweat my hair out.
    Being healthy costs too much.

And finally. .. we're all gonna die anyway so why bother.
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member

Umm... if you don't give your kids McDonalds, they won't eat McDonalds, will they? And just because they eat junk doesn't mean you have to, does it? Maybe I just don't get it because I don't have kids?

samwiserabbit said:
    "They have this amazing power to eat nothing until the food they want becomes available. Tracking intake and sticking to wholesome grownup foods is harder with kids in the house."

On the other hand, it is a surmountable problem, if a person really wants to get healthier.

Different perspective: I shop, I cook, they eat or go hungry. Period. Whining and backtalk gets an automatic backhand. I do however keep fruit and lowfat yogurt for snacks. That being said, I do try to find & make heathy meals my hubby and kids love (White chicken taco chilli is a family favorite). I figure that if I don't like the result of bad eating habits (my 203 lb self) I don't want it for my kids and will go to some lengths to prevent them being in the same "shape" as me!!
  • FeelsLikeAwesome
    FeelsLikeAwesome Posts: 39 Member
    I was heating my lunch and a co-worker stopped me and asked to see what I was eating.

She then said, "oh you eat vegetables. No wonder you are thinning out. I don't like vegetables so I cant lose weight."

I was rendered speechless.

Then a second co-worker joined the conversation.

Co-worker 2: "yeah I can't do that either. Maybe I just need to get a treadmill,"

Me: "didn't you buy one last summer?"

Co-worker 2: "well yeah but I don't use it."

FACE PALM

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    viren19890 wrote: »

you know if we go by BMI - I'm obese but BMI doesn't account for muscle mass -unhealthy would/should imply high blood pressure , cholesterol and all those sort of things.

However, I agree with you.

I do believe you about your BMI, but jeez, the number of times I've heard truly overweight/obese people use that excuse, saying things like "well, my BMI may say overweight/obese, but everyone knows the BMI concept is wrong"!

The BMI concept is a generalization, and it works reasonably well (statistically speaking) for most people. When my BMI was in the overweight or obese zone, I was definitely overweight or obese, no question, and I knew it at the time. But sometimes my friends would even argue with me when I said so!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    No one said,

"I'll lose my boobs"

or

"I"ll lose my butt"

I hear that all the time !!!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    "I just believed that it was impossible, which made it impossible. Once I believed that I could do it, I was able to lose the weight."

Exactly this. I didn't go around claiming it was impossible, but inside myself it absolutely seemed that way. For decades. Now I'm amazed to find it was never even remotely true. I'm coming up on the 40-lb. loss mark now.

I used to read about Hollywood stars gaining or losing 20-40 lbs. for a role and be struck dumb with horror or amazement. The very idea that they could simply change their behavior and gain or lose at will was like reading about someone deciding to levitate, or reduce their heart rate to 24 beats a minute by autosuggestion.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member

I have children, and I HATE this excuse. They don't know they like McDonalds unless you give them McDonalds. Period. "Junk" food in my house is a sweet potato with cinnamon...the spawns love healthy food because they don't know any different, and I have no time for that excuse, lol. Tried giving a 16-month old some cupcake at a birthday party a few weeks ago and she spit it out, because she doesn't have the taste for something like that. You don't want something if you haven't had it (foodwise) IMO.
  • Darjaurhziva
    Darjaurhziva Posts: 28 Member
    If I get to a BMI of 24 I will look like a chicken. (Heard this week)

Oh my god, LOL..