Do you log your exercise?

Options
124»

Replies

• StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    No, no. Mostly because I don't have an exercise routine, and because if I have a particularly active day, I figure that makes up for the days when I'm over on calories.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I log all my exercise that I record with my HRM. If I'm doing some type of exercise that I don't have my HRM on then I just count it as extra movement and don't log it. I don't generally eat back my exercise calories unless I've done a very giant burn like a hike or a hard hitting strength session. Generally my rule of thumb is, if I'm hungry I eat if I'm not then I don't. I never understood people forcing themselves to eat just to hit a number if they arent hungry (unless they are starving themselves thats a whole different bag of worms)

Best of luck to you on your journey :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I used to log exercise, but do not anymore. I developed the mindset that "oh, I burned 500 calories, I can eat an additional 500 calories if I want." So I log my food, but keep the exercise out.

Exactly. For one thing, you may not actually have burned 500 calories, that's just what the machine said. On top of the that, you may have eaten more calories than you thought, because you forgot to log something, or didn't know what the content was,, or the label may have underestimated the calories. So if you add the thought that you are entitled to eat 500 more calories you can easily destroy your calorie deficit and gain weight.

Yeah...but if you're half way intelligent, you realize that their are errors in estimation and you account for that...it's easy to do with just a bit of research. Also, it's pretty easy to remember to log everything in my estimation...it's also easy to weigh and measure everything. Just sayin' people need to learn how to use a tool the way it's intended...bunch of people around here using a hammer to drive a screw basically.

Learn to properly use whatever tool you are using.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I feel like smashing my head through my computer after reading some of these replies...

*sigh*
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Yes and yes. I do log some semi-incidental exercise (riding to work, lifting heavy things out of the norm, etc) but it's not like I log doing the dishes. It's not a big deal if you're not eating back a hundred calories worth of exercise, but when it's more like 500+ or you're doing it every day you'll eventually pay the piper if they don't get nommed.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I log all of my exercise and calories burnt according to me HRM, but only intentional exercise. No housecleaning, Wii games, or lawn mowing. I do strength training a few times a week and don't always log that though, since I haven't figured out a decent way to estimate caloric burn. And then I eat every single calorie back if I can. I figure the margins of error equal themselves out. Works for me!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I loosely log it. And no I don't necessarily eat back all of the exercise calories.

I log my walk and sometimes circuit training.I will lift weights at random times throughout the day or do squats while doing other activities ( like drying my hair) and I don't log that.

If I eat back any calories,it's usually only half.
  • havoboril
    havoboril Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the odd one out. On exercise days I'll eat more calories :)

I shoot for 1,200 on non-exercise days and 1,500 on exercise days. I don't go overboard and binge or anything.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    No. I recently started using TDEE to determine my caloric needs. My exercise routine is consistent. I'll monitor my progress over six weeks and will make minor adjustments if needed (currently in week 3).