is it possible to lose weight without counting calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Nerdycurls wrote: »
    What kind of programs do people follow to be consistent?

I don't follow any kind of program...I simply focus my diet around whole foods and meals prepared from scratch, whole ingredients or minimally processed food stuffs (i.e. canned tomatoes for sauces and whatnot). I eat 6-8 servings of veg and fruit per day...emphasis on veg and a serving or two of fruit...I eat plenty of whole grains, legumes, lentils, whole food starches, lean sourced protein, and healthy fats from things like nuts and avocados and cooking with olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil. Regular exercise is a big part of my life.

I'm consistent because I enjoy feeding my body with awesomeness and I love to workout (namely cycle and lift). I'm pretty stinkin' good in the kitchen and I enjoy cooking so no issues there...and contrary to popular belief, healthy doesn't have to mean boring or bland.

Things like eating out and "junk" food are occasional indulgences, not daily occurrences. Though I do enjoy a nice craft brew.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've only been successful losing weight when I count calories. I've read lots of studies that say that people who are able to lose weight eating intuitively have better success keeping the weight off. I wish I was someone who could do that, but I'm too good at lying to myself about the state of my calorie intake. I'd like to get there some day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Of course you can. The question really is how easy it is to maintain if you don't.. Almost anyone can lose weight by just cutting high calorie foods.
  • SaraLikesSunsets
    SaraLikesSunsets Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've only been successful losing weight when I count calories. I've read lots of studies that say that people who are able to lose weight eating intuitively have better success keeping the weight off. I wish I was someone who could do that, but I'm too good at lying to myself about the state of my calorie intake. I'd like to get there some day.

Oh, okay. I actually have had some success with both. Though I'll admit it is harder when you're not counting calories.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I would say if you're overweight to severely overweight and live in America, you probably just simply aren't programmed to be able to do this. They don't teach us that skill here. I would advise logging for at least 4 or 5 months before you decide to go it alone.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you eat less than you burn you will lose weight.

It isn't optimum, but you could try estimating the amounts and use the entries in the system, and see how that works for you. Do you have any way to weigh/measure yourself?
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Of course. You could also just put some electric tape over your gas gauge and hope to never run out also.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    Yes. If most people who are overweight/obese just ate half the portions they are currently consuming, they would lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    For sure it is possible. Years ago I lost weight on Suzanne Somers' plan. The theory of the plan itself was food combining nonsense, but the practical application worked great. The part that sticks with me was that you could combine carbs with vegetables and fat-free protein, or you could combine fat and protein+fat (for example meat) with vegetables, but you couldn't combine carbs (pasta, bread, potatoes) with fat or protein+fat. So you could have toast with preserves, but not with butter or peanut butter or eggs. You could have pasta with fat free sauces, but not with a meat sauce or a cream sauce. You could have meat with salad and vegetables sauteed in oil, but not with potatoes or bread. For someone else, that might not have worked.
    More recently I lost the first five pounds by stopping the weekday fast food lunches and replacing them with just about anything else that wasn't deep fried.
  • SaraLikesSunsets
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Yes, if you eat less than you burn you will lose weight.

It isn't optimum, but you could try estimating the amounts and use the entries in the system, and see how that works for you. Do you have any way to weigh/measure yourself?
    Oh okay. I would rather not. Because it would be either too much or too little and I prefer to not do it if I'm just off by that much. No, i don't have a way to weigh myself. There's no scales here that i could use once a week every week, unless i count one that doesn't seem to be accurate.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    If you can't count calories and track nutrition.... still keep keep a food journal. Anything that clarifies the cause and effect relationship between what you eat and how you feel is helpful. I learned a lot of thing with a food journal in my pre-MFP days.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight without counting calories. I think it is harder to have a consistant loss that way and maintain that loss.
    What I would do is take smaller portions of foods that I know to be higher calorie and fill a lot of my plate with lower calorie vegetables. I would watch portion sizes of bread, pasta and rice. Use sauces, condiments, dressings sparingly. Foods that are not mixed in casseroles, soups or stews would be easiest to judge what you are eating. If you can get grilled meats you will probably be better off eating that than something fried. Maybe opt for fruit for dessert instead of something prepared with who knows what.
  • SaraLikesSunsets
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    It is possible to lose weight without counting calories. I think it is harder to have a consistant loss that way and maintain that loss.
    What I would do is take smaller portions of foods that I know to be higher calorie and fill a lot of my plate with lower calorie vegetables. I would watch portion sizes of bread, pasta and rice. Use sauces, condiments, dressings sparingly. Foods that are not mixed in casseroles, soups or stews would be easiest to judge what you are eating. If you can get grilled meats you will probably be better off eating that than something fried. Maybe opt for fruit for dessert instead of something prepared with who knows what.
    Okay, thanks for the advice.