Counting Steps FAD

Options

Replies

• Irishsugar
    Irishsugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It does help someone to be accountable. I know prior to my Fitbit I would veg out most days. My steps were as low as 2-3k. Now if I am sitting around I have that little band on my wrist holding me accountable. If I haven't met my goal I know I have to get off the couch and go for a walk or do something active. To each their own
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    All I will add is that this past week I did no purposeful cardio, I lifted weights, did some stretching, but participated in step challenges averaging ~18k steps a day. I ate back all of my calories from steps [which was a large enough for a nice dinner for most people trying to lose] and ended up losing a pound (in maintenance). Then I ran my fastest just because half-marathon time yesterday. Did walking/step counting make me fit? I cant point specifically to that. However, it does play a role in my overall maintenance and fitness levels. I have goals to hit and people to challenge. I am digging this fad.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    So what I'm taking from this 7 pages is that no one who has responded appears to be under the delusion that counting steps has made them epically fit, but the OP is alleging that the responses bear out her doctors inference that people are deluded by their step counters, rather than admitting her OP was condescending and ill informed.

Miss anything?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    So, I should sit on my butt and play sims all day ?
    I should sit on my floor and vlog all day ?

No.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    So what I'm taking from this 7 pages is that no one who has responded appears to be under the delusion that counting steps has made them epically fit, but the OP is alleging that the responses bear out her doctors inference that people are deluded by their step counters, rather than admitting her OP was condescending and ill informed.

Miss anything?

No! I think you have summed it up pretty well. For that matter, unlike the OP's claim that people are being defensive, I have not seen that either.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Miss anything?

Nope. Don't think you missed anything.
  • WordWhisperer
    WordWhisperer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So what I'm taking from this 7 pages is that no one who has responded appears to be under the delusion that counting steps has made them epically fit

Not epically fit, but epically more fit than before.

• Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Reading a lot of these replies made me decide I need to start counting steps. Not to replace the 45+ minute workouts I do in the evening after work, but to keep myself from just sitting at my desk for 9 hours every week day :#
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

Miss anything?

I've seen instances that would compare fairly well to the OP's first post, and I really don't think it's all that rare. IMO step counting without differentiating when a persons HR is up to at least a low level of cardio workout is great for NEAT and really not much else. For people that really haven't worked out at all, sure it can be a great basic activity gauge. But to imply fitness from steps alone, spread through a day, and without any other measure, essentially just means the person has moved from couch potato mode. That in itself is a great thing for those it applies to, but really in terms of fitness it's only an indication that they don't have total disregard for it.

Now for users that set goals higher, and either use devices that track the actual exercise type activity or can somehow detect it, they might be making some progress on fitness. I think many of the newer devices are capable, depending on software interface. With GPS, speed of cadence, or HR monitoring, a tracker could easily set similar goals as steps, but encourage users to hit a certain speed or HR during exercise time. It seems that quite a few users like the electronic reminders, so it might work. If people use a higher goal and incorporate cardio type stuff themselves, sure a benefit exists. But the benefit of steps alone gives no power measure to speak of, nor a time length measure.

I think they could also readily incorporate some type of self testing methods similar to the way the higher end devices do, to show trends in improvement. But over time as all of them get more complex, the lower end will probably have more features.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Miss anything?

I've seen instances that would compare fairly well to the OP's first post, and I really don't think it's all that rare. IMO step counting without differentiating when a persons HR is up to at least a low level of cardio workout is great for NEAT and really not much else. For people that really haven't worked out at all, sure it can be a great basic activity gauge. But to imply fitness from steps alone, spread through a day, and without any other measure, essentially just means the person has moved from couch potato mode. That in itself is a great thing for those it applies to, but really in terms of fitness it's only an indication that they don't have total disregard for it.

Now for users that set goals higher, and either use devices that track the actual exercise type activity or can somehow detect it, they might be making some progress on fitness. I think many of the newer devices are capable, depending on software interface. With GPS, speed of cadence, or HR monitoring, a tracker could easily set similar goals as steps, but encourage users to hit a certain speed or HR during exercise time. It seems that quite a few users like the electronic reminders, so it might work. If people use a higher goal and incorporate cardio type stuff themselves, sure a benefit exists. But the benefit of steps alone gives no power measure to speak of, nor a time length measure.

I think they could also readily incorporate some type of self testing methods similar to the way the higher end devices do, to show trends in improvement. But over time as all of them get more complex, the lower end will probably have more features.

Say what now?

These devices are for motivating people to move more; the gateway drug to better fitness. Let it flow.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Getting 10,000 steps isn't going to have someone ready for the cross fit games or running races competitively, but it is going to help them do basic daily tasks easier, participate in more activities, and be generally healthier than being sedentary.
    If these devices are helping people just have a better minimum level of movement they are doing great things
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The question that remains unanswered (well, one of many) ....

@koinflipper
    How far do you run each week? How much do you cycle? What do you lift? Swim?
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would like it if my fitbit counted tacos. I have goals.
  • bjess8411
    bjess8411 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I couldn't disagree with this post more.

I agree. Walking is exercise anyway. People who are getting over 10,000 steps are amazing and I am not sure how that would be reached without some decent activity. Normal daily activity usually nets me about 3,000 steps. Working out will add a couple thousand and then taking my son to school another 1,000. Normally I hit 5-6,000 steps. It really is harder to reach 10,000 than people realize and takes some effort unless you are just super active or have an active job and that does make people thinner and healthier.
  • bjess8411
    bjess8411 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Someone said that active does not equal physically fit. From personal experience, you usually cannot build physical fitness very easily, without injuries and with real progress, if you do not have the foundation of activity. I used to be 170 lbs and while my fitness improved a lot exercising, not having the foundation of activity did lead to injuries and fewer results than I would have had if I had been more active. If you are completely sedentery it is going to be hard to lift a 8-10 lbs weight as a woman let alone more. Reading biographies of early women who did bodybuilding made it very clear that many of the best had a good foundation of strength, fitness, and activity to build upon for exceptional physical fitness.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

@koinflipper

its not possible for OP to answer until buying a tracking device
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

@koinflipper

its not possible for OP to answer until buying a tracking device

Okay, now you're just being mean, which is uncalled for.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The components of physical fitness: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility and body composition.

So do your 10k steps per day accomplish this? NOT BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION.

This person makes me LOL
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    ModernRock wrote: »
    My physiology classes in graduate school taught me that to contribute towards fitness, there must be sustained physical activity for at least 30 minutes at cardio training level.

You're confusing a general idea of fitness with a more specific and higher standard of cardiovascular fitness. It doesn't take a physiology class to understand that moving more is better. And for people not moving much at all, moving 10k steps is much better than 2k steps.

I agree.
    It seems the op feels like people believe they are physically fit just because they managed to get their 10k steps in. Nobody here has ever said they became an Olympic runner or bikini competitor because they wore a fit bit.
    They are saying that they have become more active. People went from sedentary to getting up and moving ! That's a wonderful thing !
    If a tracker helps give someone the nudge they need to get up and move, then go for it !! Moving more is great ! But nobody has the illusion that they will become a fitness model because they walked 10k steps. You seem to be confusing why people wear them and what they expect from wearing one.