Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Bought one. The next day my back looked like that
    <~~~

They are magic.

It was a fitbit or a magic wand, thanks for the empirical data! :D
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Sure it's a fad. Are people really going to be wearing them for the rest of their lives? Probably not, but really, who cares? It's a fad that gets people up and moving. It makes them aware of how sedentary they actually are and makes them want to do something about it. There is no way that's a bad thing.

I've been wearing mine for over 3 years now and it's turned my life around. I lost 100lbs and went from 2000 steps a day to over 20 000 (hey I've even gone over 100 000 in a day a couple of times). I used to tell people "I'm active enough chasing my kids around"; I was shocked to see that I actually wasn't. THIS is what motivated me to start running.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    more steps = more calories burned...... so if someone is trying to lose weight, why is this an issue? I don't understand the OP's POV at all.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Bought one. The next day my back looked like that
    <~~~

They are magic.

It was a fitbit or a magic wand, thanks for the empirical data! :D

You only get GAINZ with Garmins, dude. Fitbits are just glorified pedometers...no magic in those.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Really I somewhat agree with the OP. It's another thing that has become trendy again, and the next thing you know people attach all kinds of other things to it. I remember many years ago when a lot of people were getting pedometers of the old non connected type to do the same thing, and attaching the same values.

I think they will be even more popular when they have multiple inputs, sensors, etc, as well as integrate some type of GPS. I know some devices already do some of this, but to me the more they allow the device to figure out the difference between walking, running, NEAT vs actual EAT, etc, the more popular they will get. Though I wouldn't want a device to remind me to get off my butt some do, and as long as those types of features can be toggled they can't really hurt anything.

For the brief time I checked it out, Google Fit actually did a fairly accurate job figuring out what type of activity I was doing. Some of the calorie counts seemed suspect, but if I kept my phone in my pocket it did seem to be able to differentiate between just some quick steps and going out for a walk/run/bike.

Really some of the basic wearable devices won't do anything a decent old school pedometer won't, but they do have one big advantage, that being connectivity. And people, yes even people who want to get their 10,000 steps per day and/or other workouts, well.... people are still lazy. They don't want to write down or put their old school pedometer readings into a spreadsheet to figure out the calorie burns or trends. And in that respect, I can't blame them. Easy is easy, and if you get the same data easier, it leaves more time for other things.

True, even the highest end ones are essentially a $20 accelerometer attached to a small computer that tries to filter noise, figure out speed, and attach calories based on a model etc. Many of the new ones incorporate smart watch features, GPS, and HR as well, but in the end they are accelerometers at the core.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    OP's doctor thinks we are all delusional. As she pointed out that he/she told her that many people are under the illusion they are getting physically fit based solely on steps and weight loss. Who in the world said that?

I would like to know under what context the actual discussion of 10k steps came up in a doctors office visit and are all doctors now supposed to be advising their patients to go out and buy a fitness tracker? Or just give suggestions on basic health benefits such as improving health by moving more.

I do know that there are insurance companies out there that give discounts on insurance premiums if a company supplies their employees with fitness trackers (mine did) and also their are life insurance companies that now will allow premium discounts if you actually wear one.

I do not see the harm in these benefits either.

I keep buying into the FAD, I bought my first pedometer two years ago and keep upgrading so I will say my money is well spent so far. I guess cellphones and tablets and PC's are a FAD too and yet we still buy those too.

Its technology, who doesn't love technology!

edited to add: as bizarre as this is, my company will pay me if I make certain goals with my fitness tracker (I don't use the companies but I have my own)... Anyone else have their companies pay them for fitness tracker use?

I honestly don't know if any doctor would say tell a sedentary patient that they shouldn't try to hit a target like 10K steps if it was that or not moving much at all. I'm guessing they would say you don't need one but I'm also guessing that they wouldn't discourage their use for those who find them helpful in achieving their fitness and weight loss goals.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I think it's funny that the op had such strong opinions of step trackers but hasn't bothered to come back and discuss it ?

Op- you really don't seem to understand why people are using them and what they expect from using one.
    Nobody claimed they became a bikini competitor by wearing a fit bit. But we did see a lot of sedentary people start to move more- that's a good thing ! Forget about the 30 mins or it doesn't count and realize that some activity is certainly better then none.

Geez. I posted just last night before going to bed. 12 hours later I am being accused of being troll, throwing out my opinion and withdrawing to never return to respond, being rude, etc.

My doctor has never mentioned 10k steps to me in regards to optimum health and he is big on health promotion and preventative medicine. So I asked him about it yesterday on office visit. He is the one that expressed the concern that many people are under the illusion they are getting physically fit based solely on steps and weight loss.

I intended to provoke thought, not to insult anyone. I really wanted to know why the obsession with 10k steps.

I am glad to hear that many understand that step counting is just the beginning of improving physical fitness and motivating you to continue to do more. I do hear a little OCD about getting 10k steps no matter what. Overall, I think you are doing great in efforts to be more fit. You can put your torches away now. No need to burn me at the stake for "heresy".

Lemonade diet is a FAD. Diet pills are a FAD. Side ponytails are were a FAD. Countings steps is not.

20118465.jpg
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Haha. Whoops. I hate my phone sometimes. Walking (to get my steps) and typing don't mix. I do enjoy laughing at my errors though!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Throwing this in at the end, but the 10,000 steps recommendation is meant for overall health, not necessarily "fitness" and health professionals (at least the knowledgeable ones) don't prescribe that goal as a substitute for a traditional exercise programs.

In the late 1980s-early 1990s it became clear to health researchers that the percentage of people participating in a "traditional" exercise program (at that time, 3 days/wk, 20-30 min a session, maintaining a heart rate of 70%-80% of max) had not changed over the previous 15-20 years, despite the intense focus on running, health clubs, etc. In addition, research showed that, after a certain point, more exercise did not provide further decreases in mortality and morbidity.

Since then, the emphasis by major health organizations has shifted. Instead of focusing on getting a small number of people to "exercise", the focus is on trying to get the majority of the population to move around a little more. The effect on society and on health costs of getting a large number of people to just be a little more active would be huge.

Is the 10,000 steps somewhat of a gimmick? Absolutely--but that's what it takes to send a clear and simple message to people who really don't have the time or interest in detailed exercise plans or research studies.

In that light, it is a valid tool, not a fad. And in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter if some of the steps are just from walking around the house, etc. To get to 10,000, you have to do some substantive moving around and that is the goal.

But it's not to be confused with "fitness" or fitness training. That's something completely different. But, exercise fitness is not always necessary to improve one's health.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    Throwing this in at the end, but the 10,000 steps recommendation is meant for overall health, not necessarily "fitness" and health professionals (at least the knowledgeable ones) don't prescribe that goal as a substitute for a traditional exercise programs.

In the late 1980s-early 1990s it became clear to health researchers that the percentage of people participating in a "traditional" exercise program (at that time, 3 days/wk, 20-30 min a session, maintaining a heart rate of 70%-80% of max) had not changed over the previous 15-20 years, despite the intense focus on running, health clubs, etc. In addition, research showed that, after a certain point, more exercise did not provide further decreases in mortality and morbidity.

Since then, the emphasis by major health organizations has shifted. Instead of focusing on getting a small number of people to "exercise", the focus is on trying to get the majority of the population to move around a little more. The effect on society and on health costs of getting a large number of people to just be a little more active would be huge.

Is the 10,000 steps somewhat of a gimmick? Absolutely--but that's what it takes to send a clear and simple message to people who really don't have the time or interest in detailed exercise plans or research studies.

In that light, it is a valid tool, not a fad. And in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter if some of the steps are just from walking around the house, etc. To get to 10,000, you have to do some substantive moving around and that is the goal.

But it's not to be confused with "fitness" or fitness training. That's something completely different. But, exercise fitness is not always necessary to improve one's health.

Hope OP comes back to read this.
  • koinflipper
    koinflipper Posts: 45 Member
    OP's doctor thinks we are all delusional. As she pointed out that he/she told her that many people are under the illusion they are getting physically fit based solely on steps and weight loss. Who in the world said that?

I would like to know under what context the actual discussion of 10k steps came up in a doctors office visit and are all doctors now supposed to be advising their patients to go out and buy a fitness tracker? Or just give suggestions on basic health benefits such as improving health by moving more.

/snip/

"I did not say my doctor said you "were all delusional". Go back and read original post. You are misreading what I wrote.

How did this come up with my doctor? I asked him if I should get one. (I really wanted one but couldn't find one that had numbers large enough I could read without constantly putting on and yanking off reading glasses during workout.)

Most of my original post are the things he brought up. That is why I became a disbeliever at least for developing physical fitness with step-counting.

But I see many of those protesting the most are using step counters in combination with dieting to lose weight. This makes a lot of sense to me for that purpose. Losing weight is great way to improve health (not same thing as improving physical fitness.)

I do not agree that computers and smartphones are a FAD (like saying the automobile or air travel is a fad.) They have totally changed how we live our lives. No longer tied to landlines at home or office, we can communicate with ease anytime and from most any place. Computers have opened a world of information and knowledge in unprecedented access and speed. And provided social contact for many people who would otherwise be isolated.

There are still work situations where an employee would be written up by their boss for leaving desk briefly every 45 minutes. 911 operators, for example. I am sure there are many others.

I have yet to find exactly what I need but am making do with HR chest strap and Endomondo app during workouts. Endomondo gives me audio information about progress during workouts so I don't need to read anything.

Cannot justify buying a $120+ device when I cannot read the small numbers on the display. Or a $400 wrist device for runners to get large numbers when I cannot run.

But I did splurge last night on a Xioamo Mi activity band for $20 from Amazon. It won't give me any real time data but useful data at the end of the day to help me with weight loss. But won't take the place of cardio exercise.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    I received a tracker for Christmas. I work out six days a week and unless the workout is a 30+ minute run, getting to 10k steps takes effort. The challenge groups are so motivating and I almost always get my steps in even if it means pacing the living room while watching TV or checking my phone.

Yea, I lost all my weight without one. So it may not be necessary but I am hoping it will help reach my final goal which has been harder as it has gotten closer.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Why is OP so bitter about other peoples' activity level and means of tracking it?

I, too, get only half of my daily steps in from my morning run, and the rest from mostly purposefully walking around the office or taking breaks to walk... WHO CARES?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    I got my first pedometer free with a McDonald's salad about 10 years ago and have been using one ever since. Now I use a Fitbit HR. I believe that it is important to track steps and that steps do count. When I first got the pedometer, I had an urban job in a bookstore and was a part-time student, so lots of city walking, walking to the subway, climbing stairs, etc. I didn't have to pay much attention to what I ate. Around 2007-2008, I broke my foot -- went from 10,000 steps to about 2000 a day -- resulting in a 20 lb. weight gain.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    A Misfit is just 19.99 and it does steps and is waterproof

Just saying
    It doesn't have to be anything fancy

But yes my diet made me lose weight
    But my fitness tracker motivated me to get fitter....>>>so healthier and burning more.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    I agree
  • koinflipper
    koinflipper Posts: 45 Member

Just saying

But my fitness tracker motivated me to get fitter....>>>so healthier and burning more.

But misfit doesn't have HRM
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    For somebody who has such a strong negative opinion about step counters i didn't think that would matter to you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Just saying

But misfit doesn't have HRM

And that would be another advantage
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016

/snip/

"I did not say my doctor said you "were all delusional". Go back and read original post. You are misreading what I wrote.

How did this come up with my doctor? I asked him if I should get one. (I really wanted one but couldn't find one that had numbers large enough I could read without constantly putting on and yanking off reading glasses during workout.)

My question was answered.

Most of my original post are the things he brought up. That is why I became a disbeliever at least for developing physical fitness with step-counting.

I fail to see or understand the choice words you used called Getting Physically Fit by using the device. Moving more, having more active movements in your day to day actives certainly will assist anyone and everyone that is sedentary, but becoming Physically Fit is a different thing to me all together. This requires exercising for a purpose, another discussion for another time not to derail the thread by going into this, except there are some people with 10k steps that also include physical exercise (cardio.. heart rate steady state cardiovascular exercise) and some that just do 10k (plus or even less) steps, but this is still plus or minue 4.5 to 5 miles a day.

But I see many of those protesting the most are using step counters in combination with dieting to lose weight. This makes a lot of sense to me for that purpose. Losing weight is great way to improve health (not same thing as improving physical fitness.)

I do not agree that computers and smartphones are a FAD (like saying the automobile or air travel is a fad.) They have totally changed how we live our lives. No longer tied to landlines at home or office, we can communicate with ease anytime and from most any place. Computers have opened a world of information and knowledge in unprecedented access and speed. And provided social contact for many people who would otherwise be isolated.

Listen to all the people here that posted, a lot of them said they don't leave home with out it, etc.. It is not a FAD it a working device available to people in which it does many things for data capture just like a computer. Heck I love the sleep monitor on mine, I also like that it does keep track of my calories I burn all day long, etc..

There are still work situations where an employee would be written up by their boss for leaving desk briefly every 45 minutes. 911 operators, for example. I am sure there are many others.

Did not mean that a 911 operator will fall into this category, or a police officer would stop duty to walk steps, this is nonsense. Even a customer support desk operator must sit at their station all day.. I said some companies and not all. AND... I HAVE TO MEET MY GOAL ON MY OWN TIME NOT WORK TIME!!!!

I have yet to find exactly what I need but am making do with HR chest strap and Endomondo app during workouts. Endomondo gives me audio information about progress during workouts so I don't need to read anything.

Cannot justify buying a $120+ device when I cannot read the small numbers on the display. Or a $400 wrist device for runners to get large numbers when I cannot run.

A person does not have to buy a 150.00 gadget to get steps in, as I see that you bought a basic band ,, shoot even copperfit has got a band for 25.00 that does not hook into to anything.

But I did splurge last night on a Xioamo Mi activity band for $20 from Amazon. It won't give me any real time data but useful data at the end of the day to help me with weight loss. But won't take the place of cardio exercise.

Your steps on your band can include (not exclude) your cardio exercise to make up the XXXX number of step goal you want in a day.