Any body part workout off limits for you?

Options
Just curious. I never work out my biceps. They're extremely sensitive to muscle mass.
I concentrate on each muscle group at a time, but usually work them out by default.
Does anyone else have somewhere they refuse to workout? Like super receptive calves or something:)

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was going to say NO until I remember I don't do calf isolation work. That's it though. Very little ab work but I do try to get it in.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I can never work my upper traps because of a nagging chronic pain thing I've got going. They are overworked all the time naturally now (and it sucks, lol). I have to treat my back muscles differently than most because of my problem, but I have a really good system going now :)

Since I already do mainly isolation lifts for upper body, then, I do lay off of biceps, too. My delts aren't big enough compared to my biceps, so I want them to grow first.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I've considered laying off of extra bicep isolation work but I can't because I'm addicted to the pump. I don't know who I am anymore. I did extra today just for the pump... :#
  • ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Body parts? No. But there are lifts that I don't do or that I don't go as heavy on due to either previous injury or the risk not being work the benefit. For example, I am missing half the meniscus in one knee from sports-related injuries, so I don't squat heavy to keep the grinding on that knee low (leg press isn't as hard on it). I don't deadlift because it was always hard on my back and I ruptured my bicep a couple years ago in martial arts--so I lay off to mitigate possible injury there.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Not a part, I don't do shrugs because it irritates a pinched nerve and causes headaches. I can still do all other trap workouts though.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I don't do direct ab work for medical reasons
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,267 Member
    Options
    I have limited shoulder mobility, so I avoid any behind-the-head shoulder presses or pulls.
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Surgeon who did my shoulder replacement said no repetitive overhead lifting w/ heavy weights. Otherwise, good to go. I love my new shoulder!
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful with my abs.

I just can't do certain things.

As far as certain areas being more responsive "gaining" at a higher rate than other parts? Not that I can tell. Though it may appear that way in my butt/thighs at time. Butt that's because I have a layer of padding there
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else's posts just get screwy on here. Words are missing etc. in above. It's so weird. And it cuts me off :/
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Love eating so my jaw is the only body part I work out.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I can't do ohp or any lifts/moves that require twisting the spine due to injury. But there's no other specific part I intentionally don't train.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I'm highly allergic to burpees...regular ones, and anything in combination of....I find I break into tears whenever I do them!!
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    shoulder press definitely. and what's up with every class doing 'muscle-ups' til failure? my shoulders are already built up, don't need to concentrate on them.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't prefer to do isolation-type stuff. I prefer squats, deadlifts, lungest, step-ups... I think bench is as close to isolation as I get... and I know that's not really isolation. I might do one ab-related per workout, but I like the lifts that hit multiple / major groups.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i can't do flys with more than 20 lbs. somethign is wrong with my shoulder when i move it that way
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    shoulder overhead press, anything overhead I hate. I can do tricep dips forever but not overhead tri.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Still trying to figure out how to do delt isolation work without pain. I have YT'd the experts and am still working on proper specific form.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I never do isolation exercises so there is no body part that is off limits to me. Everything gets worked on with compound lifts.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Considering i used to have shoulder instability, impingement, bursitis, and i've been informed by my orthopedic surgeon that my shiz is fugged up i avoid certain movements.

My problem is that from years as a gymnast i have hyper flexibility in a lot of joints (including my shoulders) and my tendons are too stretchy without providing the elasticity snap back they need. I have to strengthen the muscles surrounding the shoulder joint, but to avoid a dislocation or another labral tear i can't do things like lateral raises, behind the head pull downs, certain pressing movements, etc.