Any body part workout off limits for you?

Options

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,804 Member
    Options
    I have trouble doing deadlifts because the left side of my lower back keeps acting up. I'm troubled by that because aren't deadlifts supposed to be so beneficial? Maybe I should find some way to strengthen my back and then attempt them again.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I have trouble doing deadlifts because the left side of my lower back keeps acting up. I'm troubled by that because aren't deadlifts supposed to be so beneficial? Maybe I should find some way to strengthen my back and then attempt them again.

If you are feeling it pull through your back, you might want to lower the weight and revisit your form. While it does work your back it should be mainly pulling through your glutes and hamstrings. There are all types of back targeting workouts to do if you feel like your back has some catch up. I like back extensions and good mornings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do minimal isolation work and focus on compounds...I throw in a little bro work now and then, but mostly compound lifts and Oly lifts.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »

If you are feeling it pull through your back, you might want to lower the weight and revisit your form. While it does work your back it should be mainly pulling through your glutes and hamstrings. There are all types of back targeting workouts to do if you feel like your back has some catch up. I like back extensions and good mornings.

Thanks! It's an odd sensation, like someone scratching my lower back with a wire. I could try the back extensions and go from there.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    No real reason, but I limit ab workouts. I don't know why- but I really should probably add a few short sessions every now and then.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I had the same issue! Bottom left of my lower back always caused me discomfort. It wasn't until some really nice guy came over and gave me tips on my form (which I can admit was pretty bad when I first started). He even told me that "by the looks of it, your form may cause you pain right here", and he pressed on the sensitive area. Ever since he corrected me I have not had any issues whatsoever.

Maybe look at some tutorials on youtube for your form, or try out a different stance/grip? Record your form to make sure it is perfect.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I avoid biceps/triceps when I can. I'll do pullups instead of chinups to avoid the bicep. I'm thinking about cutting down on dips, even though I lean forward as much as I can. My arms seem super receptive, but it might be part psychological complex. I was on the swim team as a kid and people used to make fun of how muscular my arms were!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Shoulders. I do not want them to be any more defined!
  • valskeete
    valskeete Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I second that.

@ikpducky Poke your butt out, make sure you don't round your back, bend your knees slightly and focus on your hammies.
    The straighter your legs are, the more you risk hurting your back. Believe me, I learned the hard way.

Shoulders are my FAVORITE:) Gimmie some @belfle

@JustinAnimal Your name is awesome

• valskeete
    Options
    Again @ASKyle
    Shoulder workouts plz
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    valskeete wrote: »
    Again @ASKyle
    Shoulder workouts plz

@valskeete bicep workouts please ;)
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have an old ankle injury that flairs up if I torque it wrong. So I'm super careful with plyo moves. Any jumping from plank hits it wrong too, so mountain climbers, burpees, I have to modify (I go down to the couch and can hop safely from there.)

So, not trying to not work there, but just being careful so I don't re-injure myself.
  • lkpducky
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice! now I have to wait, though, to try again because my back went out on me today and my right triceps and left hip refuse to heal (a month already)...grumble grumble
  • valskeete
    Options
    I asked first, but okayyyy
  • valskeete
    Options
    Oh, @ASKyle ^
  • valskeete
    Options
    Boo. I put a list of bicep exercises
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I never do isolation exercises so there is no body part that is off limits to me. Everything gets worked on with compound lifts.

Ditto.
  • valskeete
    Options
    So, those that don't do ANY isolation work don't do bicep curls, tricep extensions, leg curls, leg extensions etc?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Currently, I don't spend any time on ab or bicep work. No time for either, no desire, or need.

Otherwise, any sort of upright row will cause elbow impingement. No thanks. Been there. Done that.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't usually do shoulders or if I do it isn't very intense. I've not yet figured out what the issue is but I get a twinge near my shoulder blade when I do