Most OVERRATED Fruits!

Options

Replies

• LauraT81
    LauraT81 Posts: 11
    Options
    I just loveeeee fruit...ALL the fruit! How can something so tasty just grow on a tree/bush/plant.....its crazy!!!
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Kiwis. They hurt my tongue and pop my tastebuds. Grrr.

I really like apricots, peaches, etc. but I don't like the fur. It makes me cringe!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    In regard to the blueberries, I didn't like them either until I bought the organic type. The organic blueberries are much richer and sweeter in flavor than the normal variety and are worth the extra money believe it or not. Otherwise I agree, especially about the apples. Bleck!

Thanks for the tip about the blueberries! I'm a huge fan of berries lately, but can't seem to find any good blueberries. I'll have to try the organic ones.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I love all of those berries, and melons .....yum!
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Kiwi. Smug little *kitten*.

:flowerforyou:

I eat them with the skin on. I like them better that way.

Kiwi + fur

OH THE HORROR :sad:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The only fruits I don't like are bananas.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I really love most fruits. I can't eat kiwi (I'm allergic), and I agree with you about those red delicious apples....I'm not really a fan of that sort of apple. I've also never been keen on bananas unless they're mixed with other fruits, in a fruit salad or something.

Berries are my big thing, but they definitely have to be enjoyed when in season.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    peaches are my big thing

i love berries, melon, grapefruit, and any other fruit i can think of besides what i said earlier.

if you've never had fruit that's been just picked that day, or that hour, you haven't lived.
    i have an apple tree in my yard. my mouth is watering already.
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    ReinaJaLaNa Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you like pears you really must try conference pears. I literally cannot stop eating them!

Hmmm I don't think I've ever heard of 'em.. I just learned of Asian Pears some time a few years ago and instantly fell in love. But don't think I've heard of Conference Pears. I'm gonna have to check 'em out!
    All fruit can be wonderful or "meh" depending on how it's grown, where it's grown, how ripe it is, how fresh it is... a myriad of different reasons.

I'm sitting on the couch eating fresh, local, in-season strawberries from about 20 miles away and they're bleeding delicious. In December, the strawberries from Spain are watery balls of nothing.

Yeah, that very well may be the case -- if so, I guess I've just had really bad luck with the above fruits because they've more often than not, or always, been pretty sucky and bleh.

Strawberries have always been touch-and-go for me \, but -- unlike the other berries I mentioned -- I"ve had some EXCELLENT strawberries. I've definitely seen both sides of that fruit. The others, not so much.
    Love fruit, love to Juice, I know apple seeds are real bad

Yep, juicing is heavenly, whenever I have the time and patience for it (mainly, the cleanup and needing to drink it as soon as possible).

Ha. No.

Lol..I was gonna say something, but...decided to just leave it alone.
    You should give blueberries another chance and get them frozen :) I have such a hard time with fresh ones and don't think they have that much flavor. BUTTTTTTT... the frozen ones in the freezer section of the grocery store are amazing!!

Hmmm I admit I've never had them -- or any other berries, I don't think -- frozen; that may indeed be the key. I'll have to do that. Thanks for the suggestion!
    When I was a kid, I would pick wild blackberries and raspberries right off the bushes and eat them. Awesome. But they are a bit tart.

I don't like blueberries in their own, but I like them baked into things. And those three berries blended into a smoothie with some chocolate PB is to die for!

The thing is, taste aside, they'e very full of nutrients and fiber, so from a health perspective, they aren't overrated.

Agree with blueberries in baked foods and all of them blended into smoothies (and as flavors for various other types of foods).

I definitely acknowledge the fact that they're healthy -- by "overrated", I was solely referring to taste.
    I like berries a lot, and I think they pack a great nutritional punch - tons of antioxidants and fiber with not very many calories. I do think they fall into that "must be just right" category, though - I rarely eat them outside of summertime when I can get locally grown ones. And I hate red delicious apples (but LOVE honeycrisps) and can't stand pears :wink: .

However, for me, most overrated? The banana. I eat one once in awhile, but they have to be JUST right, ripeness-wise, otherwise the texture is enough to make me gag. And there's a good bit of potassium, true, but past that they don't hold a lot of nutritional upside for me - I can think of a lot better ways to use up 100 or so calories.

LOVE bananas, although I do agree about needing to eat them when they're just right.
    I love all fruit.

Those mangos with attitudes though...they get to me.

:)
    All of those fruits are yummy!!!!

But.. you have to get fresh organic fruits.. those without checmicals injected into them. I've coverted tomato haters into tomato lovers when they tried an organic tomato. They taste like a tomato, instead of flavorless mush.. Same with frutis. The ones in the grocery stores do not taste the same as the ones my mom and grandmother used to grow. Hit up an organic farm or farmers market, there's the good stuff..

Yeah, I admit I haven't too often done the organic stuff, but I've heard so many folks swear by it. Maybe I could try the organic forms of the above-mentioned fruits to see if that helps change my outlook.
    What makes a fruit overrated?
    Overrated how?

Berries are an awesome source of antioxidants as well as soluble fiber. Antioxidants help to protect your body from free radicals...soluble fiber gets the **** out of your arteries. Blueberries, for it's tiny size are a wealth of nutrition...won't go into all of the details, but you can research yourself.

As far as the apple goes, the old saying is pretty accurate...an apple a day keeps the doctor away. Chalked full of phytonutrients and good old pectin to help lower blood fat levels....not to mention, tasty.

Not sure what is mean by overrated?

Sorry, I should've been clearer. I never really considered the possibility that "overrated" could be interpreted in different ways. I was strictly referring to taste. Trust me, I'm highly aware of all of the health benefits of berries and that infamous Red Delicious apple. When raw (not baked or blended into something else, for example), I've just never had any real positive taste experiences with any of 'em ;)
    Berry fan all the way, so I would disagree on your overrated fruits, although strawberries are my favorite. For me the most overrated is watermelon. Never have been a fan.

When strawberries are good, they're great. And omg, I LOVE watermelon.
    My family had a cottage growing up and picking blueberries in the summer was amazing. They are sooooooo good but buying them from the grocery store is not that same. They are not even the same fruit. I LOOOOOVE raspberries and blackberries as well. Also better right off the bush.

My favorite fruit by far is fresh pineapple. However, I am not picky in anything I eat....thats how I got fat!

Love pineapples :)
    We just can't agree. I love red delicious!!!!!!!! And I still say bananas are almost always delicious :tongue:

:wink: lololol

omg..can't believe you find Red Delicious actually...delicious, lol.. Lordy lordy lord!

And I do love bananas when they're right :)
    A lot of fruit seems to be variable. It's one thing that irritates me about it. Watery, tasteless apples, hard pears, dry, chewy citrus, non-ripening peaches, mouldy strawberries ... Vegetables are usually much more ... predictable.

I never thought of it quite like that, but I completely agree! Great point. I think the difference is the often expected either sweetness or just the right combination of sweetness and sourness (like in a green apple) in fruits, whereas most veggies tend to have and are expected to have more of a neutral taste -- not as much extreme. And they probably mostly don't ripen/expire nearly as quickly as most fruits.
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    ReinaJaLaNa Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    In regard to the blueberries, I didn't like them either until I bought the organic type. The organic blueberries are much richer and sweeter in flavor than the normal variety and are worth the extra money believe it or not. Otherwise I agree, especially about the apples. Bleck!

I'm really gonna have to check out these organic berries.. You guys just might make me a believer!
    Raspberrys, watermelon, melons in general, kiwi...YUCK!!! I despise them, even the flavour of them in other things...

lol..definitely wouldn't go that far..

Watermelon, melons in general and kiwi are all great when just right. Kiwi seems pretty hard to catch when just right. And I can agree w/ watermelon flavoring in other things -- I've never been too crazy about that either. But other than that, raw raspberries is my only real issue on your list. Most raspberry-flavored other things I've found quite tasty.
    That's a weird post. :huh:

Must not be that weird -- whether in agreement or disagreement about the topic, it's managed to solicit quite a bit of active feedback!

But thank you :)
    Most underrated: mangosteen. In Thailand we pigged out on it (as much as you can with a fruit which has to be eaten delicately with a spoon ;) ) and they are DELICIOUS! Probably terrible for you sugar-wise, as they're super tropical. But who wouldn't love a bright purple shell with an albino pumpkin looking thing inside?

Hmmm I've never heard of that. Googling!

Okay, just looked it up, and now I'm curious -- what does it taste like? What typical sold-in-America-type fruit would you most closely associate the taste with? I wanna try it!

!!!! Lol
    I'm actually eating blueberries right now! :)

Think the only fruit I dislike is grapefruit. Other than that, I love my fruit

Grapefruit has grown on me over the years. They're another one that you kinda have to get just right. But if you do, they can be REALLY good. And extremely juicy.
    I love strawberries and just about any kind of berry. And cherries....I've been craving those like mad lately! We have a strawberry patch in our backyard, and a cherry bush and raspberry bushes, plus three mulberry trees. So it's all fresh during the summer.

Me loves me cherries too :)
    Your mom

Good one!

:flowerforyou:

I eat them with the skin on. I like them better that way.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriously hope you're joking... :-/
    Ew I hate cantaloupe!!

Cherries are overrated.

Used to. Not anymore :)
    My absolute favourite fruit is grapes - after they've been turned into wine :laugh:

:)
    peaches are my big thing

i love berries, melon, grapefruit, and any other fruit i can think of besides what i said earlier.

if you've never had fruit that's been just picked that day, or that hour, you haven't lived.
    i have an apple tree in my yard. my mouth is watering already.

Yes, unfortunately as a lifelong city girl, I mostly can't say that I've had that privilege. Maybe that'd be another difference!
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I hate bananas. There. I said it. Am I getting stoned? The texture just bothers me.

For apples, I love Fuji and Honeycrisp.

My favorite pears are Asian pears. They're so juicy and crisp and have a slightly sour middle.

I love tart blackberries and I also love mullberries.

And I LOVE sour crab apples. You eat them with a spicy dip and they're delicious in my culture. Or even pickled. Sounds gross but it's delicious!
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I eat all of those all the time. My replacements for donuts and ice cream.

It worked.
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    1HappyTurtleRunner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Blackberries, reminds me of my childhood and picking them and eating them. I can have a whole package like nothing else!
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    OP, I could have made your list. I agree with every. Single. Item.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I still eat the fruits even if they've got DDT traces, etc. on them. I can't resist my bananas and apples! :laugh:
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Raspberries and blueberries :o

How VERY dare you! lol
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Blackberries, reminds me of my childhood and picking them and eating them. I can have a whole package like nothing else!

Oh yes, I like the slightly sour ones.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    All fruit can be wonderful or "meh" depending on how it's grown, where it's grown, how ripe it is, how fresh it is... a myriad of different reasons.

I'm sitting on the couch eating fresh, local, in-season strawberries from about 20 miles away and they're bleeding delicious. In December, the strawberries from Spain are watery balls of nothing.

Truth! Unfortunately one of my favorite fruits is star fruit. It's only available a few months out of the year and has to be imported.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Star fruit is dull, IMHO - great shape when cut in slices, but tastes of nothing at all.

I just love Cox's orange pippin apples, and those big Comice pears - both are delicious!
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I hate bananas. There. I said it. Am I getting stoned? The texture just bothers me.

For apples, I love Fuji and Honeycrisp.

My favorite pears are Asian pears. They're so juicy and crisp and have a slightly sour middle.

I love tart blackberries and I also love mullberries.

And I LOVE sour crab apples. You eat them with a spicy dip and they're delicious in my culture. Or even pickled. Sounds gross but it's delicious!

Yes, you will be stoned. Bananas are amazing! I do agree with you on teh Apples. Fuji and honeycrisp are great - I also like gala apples.