Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    do what you do but the joke

joggers+runners.png

Who knew there was a difference between "joggers" and "runners". I'm guessing the "joggers" are the "fakers"?

joggers are the ones that find dead bodies.

Every. Single. Time.
    Jogger Discovers Body of Teen in Oak Cliff Alley | NBC 5

Police say a 15-year-old Dallas boy was shot to death, and a jogger found his body early Sunday in an Oak Cliff alley.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Following on from the what nobody told you about running thread...

I still jog on the spot at traffic lights. I find my legs get cold and sore if I stand in place and wait, and then I cramp up as I kick off when they change (disclosure - I have dodgy circulation, so my feet and lower legs don't get as much blood as they want and need)

Anyway - why is it so frowned upon?? That thread was the first time I heard people disparaging it.

Keep doing what works for you even if it looks silly to the rest of us. This is your workout.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am training for a marathon and I stop at lights (no bouncing). Do I care what anyone thinks? No. Do I care what anyone does at lights? No. IMO, real runners don't give a rats *kitten* what you do. They are just glad you are out there. It's the wanna be runners who live in their mother's basement that have the issue.

Do I care who I piss off with that comment? No.
  • _Waffle_
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    It's mainly the notion of keeping the Heart Rate at a certain number.

A lot of runners focus workouts based on Heart Rate Zones (Google it). Stopping may drop the heart rate so some people in fact many runners like to keep moving at a traffic light.

Others take the time to rest up and catch their breathe.

Your pace is a major factor in your heart rate (Google it). I don't see how you can keep your heart rate in the zone if your pace drops off to zero. Moving your legs does not equal running. The effort isn't anywhere near the same.

Running at a pace of 0.0 is nothing if you're running intervals @ 8:00 per mile. Your heart rate will drop dramatically even if you move your legs. It's a pointless venture. Like I said however just do what you want. It's your workout.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is this the running version of the "what other people do in the gym" threads?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    ironhajee wrote: »
    It's mainly the notion of keeping the Heart Rate at a certain number.

A lot of runners focus workouts based on Heart Rate Zones (Google it). Stopping may drop the heart rate so some people in fact many runners like to keep moving at a traffic light.

Others take the time to rest up and catch their breathe.

Your pace is a major factor in your heart rate (Google it). I don't see how you can keep your heart rate in the zone if your pace drops off to zero. Moving your legs does not equal running. The effort isn't anywhere near the same.

Running at a pace of 0.0 is nothing if you're running intervals @ 8:00 per mile. Your heart rate will drop dramatically even if you move your legs. It's a pointless venture. Like I said however just do what you want. It's your workout.

Yes, but as I'm finding out with my new-ish HRM, cadence is a major factor, too. Based on recent experiments where the idea was to run and keep my HR < 140 (HA!):

Running, cadence 180, 10 min/mi: HR high 170's
    Running, cadence 180, 17+ min/mi: HR high 150's, low 160's <--- yes, pretty much running in place
    Running, cadence 150-ish, 10 min/mi: HR low 150's
    Strolling, cadence ?, 16 min/mi: HR low 120's

And yes, some of the rates I didn't even believe until I checked my pulse manually. They're spot on. I have a high max HR.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Pretty much, yes.

Next will be a comparison of strides and whether other people are heel, mid-foot, or fore-foot striking and why that's wrong.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Pretty much, yes.

Next will be a comparison of strides and whether other people are heel, mid-foot, or fore-foot striking and why that's wrong.

Well now that I know everyone is staring at me and judging my stoplight pauses as being "elitist", I shall stop running! STOP I SAY!!!!

...or I won't
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Next people will start bad mouthing......

bicyv492uhve.jpg

• RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Is this the thread where we get to be passive aggressive towards comments that hurt our feewings in another thread? I hope so... I have all kinds of butt hurt I want to vent about!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think 'real runners' are the ones who don't care whether they can call themselves 'runners' or not. I stop at lights except if I'm doing a tempo run (which I'd try not to be on a route where there were lights), in which case I'd run up the road and back until the lights changed. I think it is probably true that if you are doing it primarily because it's a cardio exercise and you want to be moving you might jog on the spot, and if you are doing it because it's a sport you'd probably just wait. But it should go without saying that neither way is superior, and also I thought the joke was quite funny.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Is this the thread where we get to be passive aggressive towards comments that hurt our feewings in another thread? I hope so... I have all kinds of butt hurt I want to vent about!

Wait.

Is it Friday?

It all makes sense now.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I stretch at stop lights. And look pixxed.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I think 'real runners' are the ones who don't care whether they can call themselves 'runners' or not. I stop at lights except if I'm doing a tempo run (which I'd try not to be on a route where there were lights), in which case I'd run up the road and back until the lights changed. I think it is probably true that if you are doing it primarily because it's a cardio exercise and you want to be moving you might jog on the spot, and if you are doing it because it's a sport you'd probably just wait. But it should go without saying that neither way is superior, and also I thought the joke was quite funny.

I've let out some serious anger at stoplights when forced to pause 600m into my last 800m repeat.

I'd rather be run over than have to do the interval again.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

whoa there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The worst crossing for me is 2 lanes each way, and invariably the lane closest to me will stop for me and wave me across, without considering what the next lane is doing - which isn't stopping!
  • _Waffle_
    Options

No! You must pick a side so you can be properly shamed by the opposing opinion.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Following on from the what nobody told you about running thread...

I still jog on the spot at traffic lights. I find my legs get cold and sore if I stand in place and wait, and then I cramp up as I kick off when they change (disclosure - I have dodgy circulation, so my feet and lower legs don't get as much blood as they want and need)

Anyway - why is it so frowned upon?? That thread was the first time I heard people disparaging it.

There's count-downs @ all the lights on my usual route. If i've got 15 seconds left, I'll just run back down the block for 7 seconds, then back to the light...and voila! No waiting at red lights or jogging in place ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

No! You must pick a side so you can be properly shamed by the opposing opinion.

:laugh:
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    L1iE7rA.jpg