Running on the spot at red lights

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is this the thread where we get to be passive aggressive towards comments that hurt our feewings in another thread? I hope so... I have all kinds of butt hurt I want to vent about!

You sound angry.

Or at least hurt.

Can you show us on this doll where the Internet hurt you?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    The worst crossing for me is 2 lanes each way, and invariably the lane closest to me will stop for me and wave me across, without considering what the next lane is doing - which isn't stopping!

Or when one car stops but you see a car quickly approaching them from behind showing no signs of stopping so you're reluctant to step into the path of the impending collision.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Following on from the what nobody told you about running thread...

I still jog on the spot at traffic lights. I find my legs get cold and sore if I stand in place and wait, and then I cramp up as I kick off when they change (disclosure - I have dodgy circulation, so my feet and lower legs don't get as much blood as they want and need)

Anyway - why is it so frowned upon?? That thread was the first time I heard people disparaging it.

There's count-downs @ all the lights on my usual route. If i've got 15 seconds left, I'll just run back down the block for 7 seconds, then back to the light...and voila! No waiting at red lights or jogging in place ;)

Where I live, you'd need to change your timing a bit to allow for the folks running the red.

"Yeah, but I was so close to the intersection when the light changed - I had to run the light, officer! If I'd slammed my brakes, I could have caused an accident!" :fearful:
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I think 'real runners' are the ones who don't care whether they can call themselves 'runners' or not. I stop at lights except if I'm doing a tempo run (which I'd try not to be on a route where there were lights), in which case I'd run up the road and back until the lights changed. I think it is probably true that if you are doing it primarily because it's a cardio exercise and you want to be moving you might jog on the spot, and if you are doing it because it's a sport you'd probably just wait. But it should go without saying that neither way is superior, and also I thought the joke was quite funny.

No! You must pick a side so you can be properly shamed by the opposing opinion.

Oh! Okay, in that case, real runners do their workouts on the track. o:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think 'real runners' are the ones who don't care whether they can call themselves 'runners' or not. I stop at lights except if I'm doing a tempo run (which I'd try not to be on a route where there were lights), in which case I'd run up the road and back until the lights changed. I think it is probably true that if you are doing it primarily because it's a cardio exercise and you want to be moving you might jog on the spot, and if you are doing it because it's a sport you'd probably just wait. But it should go without saying that neither way is superior, and also I thought the joke was quite funny.

I thought real runners ran in shorts in winter???
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I remember reading an article years ago about how real runners only wear shorts, no matter how cold it is outside. This is the first time I've ever heard of the light stopping controversy.

I always stop at lights. I sometimes don't wear shorts. I'm half a real runner I suppose.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Pretty sure real runners have thumb holes in their shirts.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Pretty sure real elite runners have thumb holes in their shirts.

Close. FIFY.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    I remember reading an article years ago about how real runners only wear shorts, no matter how cold it is outside. This is the first time I've ever heard of the light stopping controversy.

I always stop at lights. I sometimes don't wear shorts. I'm half a real runner I suppose.

Do capris come close to shorts in the winter? I'd like to know where I stand with the real runners? I think I am now having an identity crisis at the moment.. hep me

We just don't stop for lights here and we run from the police.. We're runners for heaven sakes.

• Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Also real runners don't run on treadmills.

and

Don't ever call a runner a jogger.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Do capris come close to shorts in the winter? I'd like to know where I stand with the real runners? I think I am now having an identity crisis at the moment.. hep me

We just don't stop for lights here and we run from the police.. We're runners for heaven sakes.

That's a very good question. Can one be 3/4 of a real runner?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

#DetroitLyfe
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Does it count if the winter temps are in the 50's and 60's (Jan and Feb)? 'Cause if so, I'm in like Flynn.

Although, I did run in shorts in freezing temps this year by mistake. Started in the 50's, dropped below freezing in an hour. Knew I should have checked the weather forecast.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Sorry. I'm afraid capris are worse. Either it's cold enough for full-length tights or it isn't. I don't make the rules. :(
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Pretty sure real runners have thumb holes in their shirts.

Get in... I have a couple of running tops with thumb holes :laugh:
  • RoxieDawn
    edited February 2016
    Options

Sorry. I'm afraid capris are worse. Either it's cold enough for full-length tights or it isn't. I don't make the rules. :(

Please post a link to this rule... What country is this as well?

And how about being short enough that the capris are full length? Post rule..
  • _Waffle_
    Options

http://laurenmessiah.com/2015/06/why-you-should-never-wear-capri-pants/
  • TavistockToad
    edited February 2016
    Options

I'm lucky to still be on your friends list!
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Thank god I am NOT trying to make a fashion statement. I am so scared of the freaking fashion police!! eeeeewwwwwwww!
  • _Waffle_
    Options

Thank god I am NOT trying to make a fashion statement. I am so scared of the freaking fashion police!! eeeeewwwwwwww!

Fashion Police? Pffftttt! Run in place at a red light and the Running Police will get you.