I'm having a really hard time...

Options
Slowing down. I just recently started walking again in the middle of November after having surgery on my ankle in early September. I'm trying so hard to take it slow with the exercise portion of my routine but it's literally killing me. I am stubborn so having something hold me back just makes me want to scream. My mind knows I should go slow, that this will take time. My mind knows that if I push too hard I'll take three steps back.

My heart knows I want this bad and I want it now.

I'm having a really hard time....

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Could you do an exercise thats not step related? perhaps swimming? if you aren't fully healed you need to take things slow and slowly build up your stamina again.
    I hope you can see the positive, give yourself time and a break, you will get back to your former fitness and hopefully soon.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you lose weight in the kitchen, not through exercise.

focus on that
  • amyjane_g
    amyjane_g Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Slowing down. I just recently started walking again in the middle of November after having surgery on my ankle in early September. I'm trying so hard to take it slow with the exercise portion of my routine but it's literally killing me. I am stubborn so having something hold me back just makes me want to scream. My mind knows I should go slow, that this will take time. My mind knows that if I push too hard I'll take three steps back.

My heart knows I want this bad and I want it now.

I'm having a really hard time....

I feel your pain, on Wednesday I am going into hospital for a hip operation - The thought alone that I am going to be on crutches for the next 4 - 6 weeks literally has me in tears.. It is going to be one hell of a struggle with not over doing it and pushing myself too far, too quickly, as I am as equally as stubborn..

But, we do need to remind ourselves that we need to take it slow and steady as if we push ourselves too hard we will only delay our recovery and it will take longer getting fit and well and back to doing what we love. (Listen to me dishing out the advice, I may need to be reminded of this next week) ha ha

Try and take each day at a time and give yourself little goals, like aim to park a little further away in the car park or take the stairs.. I know it is hard, I have gone from being very active and the gym was virtually my second home to being "old before my time with a dodgy hip!!" - Try not to over do it as you will only cause yourself more stress....

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    As suggested above swimming is a fantastic exercise and will help when you want to get back to your regular routine once ready.
  • Kelceybyers
    Kelceybyers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, on Wednesday I am going into hospital for a hip operation - The thought alone that I am going to be on crutches for the next 4 - 6 weeks literally has me in tears.. It is going to be one hell of a struggle with not over doing it and pushing myself too far, too quickly, as I am as equally as stubborn..

Good luck on your surgery. Thank you for the reminders and suggestions. I do try different things like swimming and anything that doesn't put too much stress on my ankle. I am working hard in the kitchen and counting my calories accurately as I know nutrition is twice the battle as the exercise. I just am not a "weak" person in body, mind or spirit so this is just hitting me where it can hurt the most.

Many thanks for all your thoughts...they are appreciated.