Advanced Spelling Lesson

Options

Replies

• itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    People, please stop defending bad Engrish!

:)

I'm finding that people will defend bad English much harder than I'll defend correct English, which is interesting.

You are a hero to the entire Anglo-sphere. Bravo!

Oh stop it, you're making me blush!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    So much racism in this thread and in the several recent threads mocking threads started by people of color and non-native English speakers. It's pretty gross. Peppermint out.
  • Cblsplcr
    Cblsplcr Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm from Oklahoma. We have our own rules for grammar so yall back off.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    So much racism in this thread and in the several recent threads mocking threads started by people of color and non-native English speakers. It's pretty gross. Peppermint out.

While there are a lot of offensive things around, I don't see this as racist or mocking non native English speakers. There is usually a very clear distinction between someone who is ESL and someone who is just too lazy to type a full sentence or use check their spelling before they post. A lot of the parody threads, in their defense, are a parody of a ridiculous idea, such as trying to hook up with a certain group of people in the forums. It's not mocking anything about the person other than them coming onto a fitness site and looking for hookups with a certain group of people.

Then again, that's just my opinion.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    So does this mean that I have to also start using caps and apostrophes now on MFP? :grimace:
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    w2bhbel2q2tc.jpeg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Cblsplcr wrote: »

Hey, don't paint all of us Oklahomans in that light. Some of us are very edumucated.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    life is too short
  • itsthehumidity
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    life is too short

Literally minutes of my life I'll never get back. The horror!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    life is too short

Literally minutes of my life I'll never get back. The horror!

I wish I could trade every second I spent reading this thread having sex...but alas...
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    After reading these posts I have to ask myself if there is a correlation between poor grammar and a lack of knowledge of good nutrition. Maybe I'm reaching too far. I think (just my opinion) that both have become less important in our society. Perhaps it is a regional phenomena. I never could figure out how to spell "yall." Is there an apostrophe in there somewhere?
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Cblsplcr wrote: »

Hey, don't paint all of us Oklahomans in that light. Some of us are very edumucated.

Shhhh. Just sit there and look pretty.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I appreciate the different opinion on this, and ignoring the author's good spelling and grammar in an article defending poor spelling and grammar, I'd like to say something about this excerpt:

So if I crap on Jonny’s spelling, I’m either reinforcing an oppressive status quo, or picking on a person with a disability, or both.

Hmm. I'm reminding people about the rules of English, and it seems like a big reach to suggest that providing examples of appropriate spelling and use of apostrophes is tantamount to reinforcing an oppressive status quo. Maybe by telling people how to lose weight, one is also reinforcing an oppressive status quo, but probably not. More likely, that person is just relaying how to do something correctly. Maybe there's a culture out there that values being overweight, or people who have thyroid issues, but the presence of any of those people does not mean that the correct way to lose weight should be censored.

So, I stand by my spelling lesson, because those are the correct ways to use those words.

I'm curious as to which version of "English" you are determining to be the appropriate one in an international community of users, and how you went about determining that as the standard for all to follow in said community.

Yes because there are so many versions of "English", and they all differ wildly when it comes to these particular spelling and grammar quirks.

To answer your question, as this is a US-based site, I'm referring to the rules and conventions governing the use of formal English in the United States.

I really dislike getting drawn into this kind of thread. Let's face it, language is different for all sorts of reasons including, education, phonics, location, colloquialism, slang and a number of other reasons.

However, and at the risk of starting World War 3, the clue should be in the name. It is "English" as spoken in England, not "American English" as spoken in America, or "Australian English" as spoken in Australia. So, if the OP is that much of a "Grammar Nazi" they ought to be using "English resources such as dictionary and thesaurus; it would ensure that all those missing vowels find their proper home to start with.

So, before I back off out of this, why not just live and let live? Life is too short to be picking up on every little word that an individual may think is "wrong". Just go out there, lose weight, reshape your body and use MFP for its original purpose.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »

While there are a lot of offensive things around, I don't see this as racist or mocking non native English speakers. There is usually a very clear distinction between someone who is ESL and someone who is just too lazy to type a full sentence or use check their spelling before they post. A lot of the parody threads, in their defense, are a parody of a ridiculous idea, such as trying to hook up with a certain group of people in the forums. It's not mocking anything about the person other than them coming onto a fitness site and looking for hookups with a certain group of people.

Half of my coworkers are ESL and don't make the mistakes I commonly see on internet forums. On another forum, I knew the members better and again it was not ESL (or learning disabled) people making these mistakes. My experience is that ESL people put a lot more effort into their communication than many native English speakers.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I appreciate the different opinion on this, and ignoring the author's good spelling and grammar in an article defending poor spelling and grammar, I'd like to say something about this excerpt:

So if I crap on Jonny’s spelling, I’m either reinforcing an oppressive status quo, or picking on a person with a disability, or both.

Hmm. I'm reminding people about the rules of English, and it seems like a big reach to suggest that providing examples of appropriate spelling and use of apostrophes is tantamount to reinforcing an oppressive status quo. Maybe by telling people how to lose weight, one is also reinforcing an oppressive status quo, but probably not. More likely, that person is just relaying how to do something correctly. Maybe there's a culture out there that values being overweight, or people who have thyroid issues, but the presence of any of those people does not mean that the correct way to lose weight should be censored.

So, I stand by my spelling lesson, because those are the correct ways to use those words.

I'm curious as to which version of "English" you are determining to be the appropriate one in an international community of users, and how you went about determining that as the standard for all to follow in said community.

He's not complaining about issues like color vs colour, center vs centre, etc., IOW, differences between American English and British English. 'Loose' never means 'lose' in any version of English.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    its they're prerogative weather they want to use advanced or basic english isn't it?

omg%2520cat.jpg
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »

Half of my coworkers are ESL and don't make the mistakes I commonly see on internet forums. On another forum, I knew the members better and again it was not ESL (or learning disabled) people making these mistakes. My experience is that ESL people put a lot more effort into their communication than many native English speakers.

Agreed. It's rather easy to tell the difference between a language difference and just plain laziness and stupidity.
  • itsthehumidity
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of arguments that take this rough shape:

People exist who can be categorized as one or more of the following:
    • those who don't speak English as a primary language
    • those who have a learning disability
    • those who grow up in a culture different from mine
    • those who grow up disadvantaged

and this implies

that there is no such thing as an error in English, and that anything I might call an error should be labeled a difference due to the above.

That's false. There are errors, and the people in the above lists aren't somehow in a privileged category of not being able to be wrong.
  • itsthehumidity
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

He's not complaining about issues like color vs colour, center vs centre, etc., IOW, differences between American English and British English. 'Loose' never means 'lose' in any version of English.

Exactly. Maybe my next discussion should be Advanced Reading Comprehension Lesson.