Options
1235»

Replies

• itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    After reading these posts I have to ask myself if there is a correlation between poor grammar and a lack of knowledge of good nutrition. Maybe I'm reaching too far. I think (just my opinion) that both have become less important in our society. Perhaps it is a regional phenomena. I never could figure out how to spell "yall." Is there an apostrophe in there somewhere?

iPhone autocorrects to y'all, but from my time in Georgia I could have sworn we spelled it ya'll

If it has to be used, it would be y'all - a contraction of you all.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Noelv1976 wrote: »
    before you criticize us, should check your username...it's grammatically incorrect

I'm not expecting you to read every post in the thread, but I've already explained that the error of my username is deliberate (also ignoring that apostrophes aren't available to use in usernames).

But even so, let's say that your post provided me with a stunning revelation: that this whole time I was unknowingly contributing to the (minor) problem of basic spelling errors. My original post would still be right. If a heroin addict A tells heroin addict B that he should stop using heroin due to its damaging effects, then heroin addict A isn't wrong. Hypocritical? Sure. But not wrong.

You should work on the reading comprehension you eluded to earlier in your thread. He did not say that others were not in the wrong. He just said that you were wrong as well.

On the topic of reading comprehension which I alluded to earlier:

He did not say that others were not in the wrong. Right. He and I weren't discussing that. I didn't claim he did say that.

He just said that you were wrong as well. He did say that, yes. My point was: A. I'm actually not wrong because the error in my username is deliberate (it's a personal joke and very much intended for the sake of personal amusement), and B. It doesn't matter either way. My username can be anything at all and my original post still stands. He's just grasping for anything he can think of to try and discredit my point. What he grasped, however, was irrelevant.

Edit: Apparently B + ) makes a B). Fixed that.

No, I meant eluded... because you were trying to escape being put on blast boiiiiiii!!
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    The OP is right.
    Stop defending bad Engrish!

We are but a ragged few against an army of those armed to the teeth with excuses and logical fallacies.

SPARTANS! WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION?!

Some writers will use both a question mark and exclamation point for an exclamatory question, but only the exclamation point is truly necessary. Correct: WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION!

Fixed that for you.

• itsthehumidity
    Options
    kchuskey wrote: »
    The OP is right.

We are but a ragged few against an army of those armed to the teeth with excuses and logical fallacies.

Some writers will use both a question mark and exclamation point for an exclamatory question, but only the exclamation point is truly necessary. Correct: WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION!

Fixed that for you.

Thanks bud. I actually wasn't comfortable with the ?! but it seemed like the most correct choice, as it was an exclamatory question. But, I like what you said better, and I appreciate the correction/input.

Is there ever a time when the ?! choice is actually more appropriate to use, or can the rule of using just ! be bluntly applied?
  • kchuskey
    Options
    The OP is right.

Fixed that for you.

Thanks bud. I actually wasn't comfortable with the ?! but it seemed like the most correct choice, as it was an exclamatory question. But, I like what you said better, and I appreciate the correction/input.

Is there ever a time when the ?! choice is actually more appropriate to use, or can the rule of using just ! be bluntly applied?

The exclamation point is a mark of terminal punctuation. As such, it should not be followed by a period or question mark. If You absolutely feel the need to include both, there is a punctuation mark that combines the question mark and exclamation point. It is called the interrobang, or interabang, and it looks like this ‽. Yet, for reasons already explained, it is hardly needed.
  • ladymuaythai
    ladymuaythai Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I just want Leonardo to take off his shirt and "cum" over already. Thank you for this thread :mask:

• itsthehumidity
    Options
    The OP is right.

Fixed that for you.

The exclamation point is a mark of terminal punctuation. As such, it should not be followed by a period or question mark. If You absolutely feel the need to include both, there is a punctuation mark that combines the question mark and exclamation point. It is called the interrobang, or interabang, and it looks like this ‽. Yet, for reasons already explained, it is hardly needed.

But, I didn't follow the exclamation mark with anything. It was preceded by the question mark. So, by what you're saying, ?! should be fine, as the ! is still terminal.
  • cjferguson40
    cjferguson40 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Unless you're really drunk you should always strive to use correct grammar.

Also, if you're really drunk please post here cause that's always entertaining!
  • kchuskey
    Options
    The OP is right.

Fixed that for you.

But, I didn't follow the exclamation mark with anything. It was preceded by the question mark. So, by what you're saying, ?! should be fine, as the ! is still terminal.

I think if you ask the experts who would claim that they know what the “correct” way to punctuate something is, they would tell you that a sentence may only have one terminal punctuation mark—that is to say, neither “?!” nor “!?” is correct.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Unless you're really drunk you should always strive to use correct grammar.

Also, if you're really drunk please post here cause that's always entertaining!

This is why I often volunteer to be the DD. That, and blackmail.
  • itsthehumidity
    Options
    The OP is right.

Fixed that for you.

I think if you ask the experts who would claim that they know what the “correct” way to punctuate something is, they would tell you that a sentence may only have one terminal punctuation mark—that is to say, neither “?!” nor “!?” is correct.

Works for me!!!!!!
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    One thing about it's though up here is there's no auto correct and some people don't feel like going back and adding the apostrophe in. So that might be why you see it so much.