I'm just a skinny girl trying to get thick...

Options
Any others out there like me??

Hi! I'm 25 and have a 1 year old!! I was always super skinny and weighed 95-98 pounds. While being pregnant gaining weight was still a issue and hard. Thankfully I managed to gain enough to have a full term perfectly healthy girl!! After giving birth I immediately went right back to size. I know a lot of other people say that I'm lucky. And while I wasn't upset for going back to my normal weight, I wasn't exactly jumping for joy. My baby was all my joy!! 2 months before she turned one I decided to try and put on some weight. I want to weigh about 130. I want it all in my thighs and butt. So I set out to eating healthy fats such as avocados, nuts, and homemade coconut milk. I also started working out doing squats and lunges. I went from 95 to 102 in 2 months. I loved that I got a little thicker but I also had a little belly. This was before I found this app to help me monitor what I'm eating. I slacked off after being 102 and after a few months I went down to 95

Replies

• taahirac001
    taahirac001 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Since starting this app I gain back the weight this time with ab workouts included and not trying to gain so much in a short amount of time. I still have a long way to go.

Is there anyone else like me? Let's be friends and support each other!
  • Unknownforareason
    Unknownforareason Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello,I am also struggling to keep weight on.. If I miss a meal I lose 3lbs lol.. I'm a bit older than you but when I was your age I was also about 95lbs I'm not far from that right now at only 103lbs my goal weight is 115lbs I work out about 4x a week..
  • Qu1ckerMe
    Qu1ckerMe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am on MFP to lose weight but I have been in your position. I think it is easier to lose weight than to gain. At 5'8" a healthy "norm" for me was between 128 and 135. I find that my mental state greatly effects my weight. I do not usually try to gain or loose but find it is an indicator of health. When stressed I would weight 108 and look like a skeleton. When bad health impacted me and finally getting diagnosed with IBD (including surgeries) my weight balloned up to 230. I recently had surgery and still have a "pot" but the rest of me is slim-ish. My arms and legs and bust are definitely out of proportion so I am trying to lose down (again) to 155 where I would like to stay. I will probably have to go lower and then eat like a body builder and work out to gain muscle and fat instead of just fat. I went into menopause early and my weight went up. Once it was discovered what it was and I went o hormones my weight got normal. Then I got breast cancer and was taken off hormones and my weight went up again. This is spread over 30 years so I do nothing drastic (until now) to change it. This is a first for me trying to lose weight but I realize now that messing with it to try and gain may have caused some gastro problems. I urge you to be cautious and do not worry so much about it. I found that full skirts, elastic top pants and loads of sweaters helped. Bathing suits...well that could be a problem as I always felt I had rags tied on bones. Best advice I can give...relax and do not think about it. It will make you crazy...at least it did me!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Assuming here you have other women in your family with the same body weight/type? Are they naturally slim like you (still?) or have they gained a few pounds (in later years?) that you can ask them what they do/did? I only say this cuz I had a girlfriend about 30years ago with similar problem, she wanted more curves. Her mother and father both were tall and slim, about 35years old than her. I would say both parents at a very healthy normal weight and activity level. Girlfriend looked at her parents through "my" eyes and that helped her plan her goals accordingly.
  • taahirac001
    Options
    Hello,I am also struggling to keep weight on.. If I miss a meal I lose 3lbs lol.. I'm a bit older than you but when I was your age I was also about 95lbs I'm not far from that right now at only 103lbs my goal weight is 115lbs I work out about 4x a week..

Omg, same problem
  • taahirac001
    Options

Omg, same problem I have. When I put on the weight the first time around I quickly lost it because I wasn't maintaining it. This time I'm determined!! I'm 103 and my goal is 130. We can do it!

• taahirac001
    Options
    Qu1ckerMe wrote: »
    I am on MFP to lose weight but I have been in your position. I think it is easier to lose weight than to gain. At 5'8" a healthy "norm" for me was between 128 and 135. I find that my mental state greatly effects my weight. I do not usually try to gain or loose but find it is an indicator of health. When stressed I would weight 108 and look like a skeleton. When bad health impacted me and finally getting diagnosed with IBD (including surgeries) my weight balloned up to 230. I recently had surgery and still have a "pot" but the rest of me is slim-ish. My arms and legs and bust are definitely out of proportion so I am trying to lose down (again) to 155 where I would like to stay. I will probably have to go lower and then eat like a body builder and work out to gain muscle and fat instead of just fat. I went into menopause early and my weight went up. Once it was discovered what it was and I went o hormones my weight got normal. Then I got breast cancer and was taken off hormones and my weight went up again. This is spread over 30 years so I do nothing drastic (until now) to change it. This is a first for me trying to lose weight but I realize now that messing with it to try and gain may have caused some gastro problems. I urge you to be cautious and do not worry so much about it. I found that full skirts, elastic top pants and loads of sweaters helped. Bathing suits...well that could be a problem as I always felt I had rags tied on bones. Best advice I can give...relax and do not think about it. It will make you crazy...at least it did me!

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that. I'm glad you are doing better now, and thank you for the caution. I'm actually an organic non gmo eater. And I stay closer to ramping up on healthy fats such as homemade coconut milk and nuts.

I will continue to be careful, thanks for the advice
  • taahirac001
    Options
    Assuming here you have other women in your family with the same body weight/type? Are they naturally slim like you (still?) or have they gained a few pounds (in later years?) that you can ask them what they do/did? I only say this cuz I had a girlfriend about 30years ago with similar problem, she wanted more curves. Her mother and father both were tall and slim, about 35years old than her. I would say both parents at a very healthy normal weight and activity level. Girlfriend looked at her parents through "my" eyes and that helped her plan her goals accordingly.

Well, unfortunately my family is out of the question XD
  • april0622
    april0622 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey..girl I understand what your going through. I've always been the "skinny chick." I came across this liquid vitamin call apetamin. It gives you an appetite. I'm on day 2 and I've been able to get up to 3000 calories. So look this up and hopefully you can get to your goal. ;) have a good day
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One reason why a lot of people struggle with weight gain is because they put on labels to many foods and some people are just super active. If you need some food suggestions, I would take a look at this thread.

If you want to minimize fat gains and add in some muscle (helps keep you lean + healthier than just fat), I would suggest a progressive lifting program like StrongCurves.
  • mensahbrown
    mensahbrown Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with psulemon, the healthier way to gain weight is to build lean muscle.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Clearly, you have to eat in a surplus (more than maintenance calories) and if working out, you need to make sure you eat back whatever calories you are burning. A lot of MFP members say that "all calories are the same" and that it doesn't matter if you meet this calorie allowance by eating junk food or eating clean, but from my experience, it does make a difference. Like you, I am small and while I had a nice foundation of booty and legs, I still struggle to "gain." I've found that eating low sugar (around 50-60 grams) and high carbs (150 grams)/proteins (114 grams - your body weight should be your goal - so if you are 95 lbs. eat 95 grams of protein) has helped me actually gain in areas that I want to gain and build that muscle. Of course, you are going to have to lift along with eating in a surplus. There are tons of great fitness enthusiasts that you can follow on Instagram for exercises and getting a trainer to show you the ropes would be a good idea. Focus on squats, squat variations, kick backs, cable and band work, leg press, and building that weight up slowly but surely. You should see results in no time!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Clearly, you have to eat in a surplus (more than maintenance calories) and if working out, you need to make sure you eat back whatever calories you are burning. A lot of MFP members say that "all calories are the same" and that it doesn't matter if you meet this calorie allowance by eating junk food or eating clean, but from my experience, it does make a difference. Like you, I am small and while I had a nice foundation of booty and legs, I still struggle to "gain." I've found that eating low sugar (around 50-60 grams) and high carbs (150 grams)/proteins (114 grams - your body weight should be your goal - so if you are 95 lbs. eat 95 grams of protein) has helped me actually gain in areas that I want to gain and build that muscle. Of course, you are going to have to lift along with eating in a surplus. There are tons of great fitness enthusiasts that you can follow on Instagram for exercises and getting a trainer to show you the ropes would be a good idea. Focus on squats, squat variations, kick backs, cable and band work, leg press, and building that weight up slowly but surely. You should see results in no time!

It would be very difficult for a person to meet their nutritional needs by eating a lot of junk food, considering junk is typically ultra processed and has little nutrients. And if you, too, struggle to gain weight, it it possible that is because of your limitations on foods.

And personally, I would rather advise people to followed a structured lifting routine as opposed to specific moves as it will provide adequate volume and maximize efficiency. Ideally, you want a hypertrophy program that focuses on compound moves (targeting multiple major muscle groups) that will maximize training volume (generally, hitting the major muscle every 48 hours). And if you have extra time, then add in some isometric moves.
  • taahirac001
    Options
    Hi guys!! Thanks for the great feedback!! I am actually not having trouble gaining weight, that is no longer an obstacle for me. I do follow some training videos on YouTube that I have gotten good results with gaining weight in my thighs and butt. Also, I have really good eating habits. I eat primarily healthy fats, organic and non gmo foods. I live in a homeopathic household
  • taahirac001
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    One reason why a lot of people struggle with weight gain is because they put on labels to many foods and some people are just super active. If you need some food suggestions, I would take a look at this thread.

If you want to minimize fat gains and add in some muscle (helps keep you lean + healthier than just fat), I would suggest a progressive lifting program like StrongCurves.

Yes!! I eat a lot of what you have on that list. Avocado, nuts nuts nuts, cheese, coconut oil, avocado oils, homemade coconut milk!! I go for healthy fats, thanks
  • taahirac001
    Options

Thanks for your suggestion! I eat so much carbs I'm sick of it lol. I do many different types of squats and lunges.

I need to get leg bands, and I think I will start going kick backs as well. I'm not sure if I take much sugar in... Probably not. Or maybe? But I do need to increase my protein.
  • taahirac001
    Options

It would be very difficult for a person to meet their nutritional needs by eating a lot of junk food, considering junk is typically ultra processed and has little nutrients. And if you, too, struggle to gain weight, it it possible that is because of your limitations on foods.

And personally, I would rather advise people to followed a structured lifting routine as opposed to specific moves as it will provide adequate volume and maximize efficiency. Ideally, you want a hypertrophy program that focuses on compound moves (targeting multiple major muscle groups) that will maximize training volume (generally, hitting the major muscle every 48 hours). And if you have extra time, then add in some isometric moves.

I checked out the strongcurves you have! I am going to start trying it!!! Thanks!!
  • taahirac001
    Options
    demo_man wrote: »
    Donuts are key.

Yummy!
  • taahirac001
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @demo_man Wait are we talking about food? Lol
  • psuLemon
    Options

Yes!! I eat a lot of what you have on that list. Avocado, nuts nuts nuts, cheese, coconut oil, avocado oils, homemade coconut milk!! I go for healthy fats, thanks

Aim to increase carbs. During a bulk, carbs really are king, especially, since it's fairly easy to hit protein levels during a bulk.