I'm just a skinny girl trying to get thick...

Options

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Clearly, you have to eat in a surplus (more than maintenance calories) and if working out, you need to make sure you eat back whatever calories you are burning. A lot of MFP members say that "all calories are the same" and that it doesn't matter if you meet this calorie allowance by eating junk food or eating clean, but from my experience, it does make a difference. Like you, I am small and while I had a nice foundation of booty and legs, I still struggle to "gain." I've found that eating low sugar (around 50-60 grams) and high carbs (150 grams)/proteins (114 grams - your body weight should be your goal - so if you are 95 lbs. eat 95 grams of protein) has helped me actually gain in areas that I want to gain and build that muscle. Of course, you are going to have to lift along with eating in a surplus. There are tons of great fitness enthusiasts that you can follow on Instagram for exercises and getting a trainer to show you the ropes would be a good idea. Focus on squats, squat variations, kick backs, cable and band work, leg press, and building that weight up slowly but surely. You should see results in no time!

It would be very difficult for a person to meet their nutritional needs by eating a lot of junk food, considering junk is typically ultra processed and has little nutrients. And if you, too, struggle to gain weight, it it possible that is because of your limitations on foods.

And personally, I would rather advise people to followed a structured lifting routine as opposed to specific moves as it will provide adequate volume and maximize efficiency. Ideally, you want a hypertrophy program that focuses on compound moves (targeting multiple major muscle groups) that will maximize training volume (generally, hitting the major muscle every 48 hours). And if you have extra time, then add in some isometric moves.

Limitations on foods? I eat only high protein, low-sugar foods = non-processed, organic homemade meals that are full of healthy and nutrition packed calories. And I was NOT suggesting eating junk food, but the majority of people on here SWEAR that as long as you meet your cals/stay at your deficit then you are "eating healthy," which is something I disagree with.
  • taahirac001
    taahirac001 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    One reason why a lot of people struggle with weight gain is because they put on labels to many foods and some people are just super active. If you need some food suggestions, I would take a look at this thread.

If you want to minimize fat gains and add in some muscle (helps keep you lean + healthier than just fat), I would suggest a progressive lifting program like StrongCurves.

Yes!! I eat a lot of what you have on that list. Avocado, nuts nuts nuts, cheese, coconut oil, avocado oils, homemade coconut milk!! I go for healthy fats, thanks

Aim to increase carbs. During a bulk, carbs really are king, especially, since it's fairly easy to hit protein levels during a bulk.

Yeah, I eat so much carbs that I'm getting sick of it though T.T
    But I will stick to it!!
  • triggerpuller702
    Options
    Add some 'heavy' starches - whole grain pasta, breads, etc. Not a lot, for example on days you work out eat a nice big bowl of pasta for dinner. Keep eating good and clean but try spreading your meals out a bit so you can increase your calories without being bloated and full. When I bulked I went from 5-6 moderate meals to sometimes 8 just to hit my calories (I would hit 6-8000 daily back in my younger days as a bodybuilder). Try a weight gain type protein after your workout (watch labels, some are better than others and you don't necessarily HAVE to take the full serving which might be 4+ scoops). Bottom line is gaining weight is the opposite of losing - you need to take in more than you expend. However to keep from spilling over and being fat or having a 'pot' as you said you need to work out the right way.

If you want a 'booty' (sorry, but that's what my clients have said in the past!) here's the secret - slow, low, heavy squats with proper form. Bottom your *kitten* out to your heels with a slow, controlled negative, then explode back up to the top squeezing your butt and driving with your hips. Go heavy!!! It shouldn't be easy. Another secret that nobody wants to hear is to smash that stairmaster for 20-30 minutes at a moderate rate progressing to 30-60 minutes. Hit it 3-4 times a week. It's not easy but it will work your thighs and *kitten* like nothing else will and the calories you burn will help keep your stomach tight. You can even stretch your calves as you step to tone them as well. Then throw your in dumbbell lunges and learn how to do still legged deadlifts with either a smith machine or dumbbells and you'll be on your way. Those female - themed workouts from curves and magazines will only get you so far before you will eventually realize to get those thicker thighs and *kitten* you want you'll need to start moving weight. Good Luck!!!
  • taahirac001
    Options
    Clearly, you have to eat in a surplus (more than maintenance calories) and if working out, you need to make sure you eat back whatever calories you are burning. A lot of MFP members say that "all calories are the same" and that it doesn't matter if you meet this calorie allowance by eating junk food or eating clean, but from my experience, it does make a difference. Like you, I am small and while I had a nice foundation of booty and legs, I still struggle to "gain." I've found that eating low sugar (around 50-60 grams) and high carbs (150 grams)/proteins (114 grams - your body weight should be your goal - so if you are 95 lbs. eat 95 grams of protein) has helped me actually gain in areas that I want to gain and build that muscle. Of course, you are going to have to lift along with eating in a surplus. There are tons of great fitness enthusiasts that you can follow on Instagram for exercises and getting a trainer to show you the ropes would be a good idea. Focus on squats, squat variations, kick backs, cable and band work, leg press, and building that weight up slowly but surely. You should see results in no time!

It would be very difficult for a person to meet their nutritional needs by eating a lot of junk food, considering junk is typically ultra processed and has little nutrients. And if you, too, struggle to gain weight, it it possible that is because of your limitations on foods.

And personally, I would rather advise people to followed a structured lifting routine as opposed to specific moves as it will provide adequate volume and maximize efficiency. Ideally, you want a hypertrophy program that focuses on compound moves (targeting multiple major muscle groups) that will maximize training volume (generally, hitting the major muscle every 48 hours). And if you have extra time, then add in some isometric moves.

Limitations on foods? I eat only high protein, low-sugar foods = non-processed, organic homemade meals that are full of healthy and nutrition packed calories. And I was NOT suggesting eating junk food, but the majority of people on here SWEAR that as long as you meet your cals/stay at your deficit then you are "eating healthy," which is something I disagree with.

I also disagree. My diet is same as yours. Everything is non gmo, organic, low to zero sugars, homemade. Your body also feels great when you get rid of all the junk.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

I mean, your diary just from the last 2 days lists Quest bars, protein shakes, cream cheese, non-dairy creamer, breaded chicken breasts and a Starbucks drink. So, you really don't eat that way. And that's okay, you don't have to. That's the point.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

You are missing the context of the conversation. Many people suggest that you can eat junk food within the context of a healthy and wholesome diet. When I transition to maintenance or during a bulk, I add ice cream because I eat a highly nutritional dense diet during a cut (during a cut, I look for high volume, low calorie foods to ensure I am full). When I go to maintenance, I have to bump my calories from 2400 to 3000 calories. And I bulk at 3300. So it because very difficult to just add "healthy options". And if my goal is to bulk, and I can't hit 3300 calories consistently based on self setting limitations, then I will not reach my goal.

The point being, people hear others mention junk food and assume its an all or nothing statement. It completely ignores dietary context. So essentially, people spend too much time looking at the trees and ignore the forest.

Keep in mind, this is the gaining weight section and sugar is highly beneficial.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2016
    Options

I also disagree. My diet is same as yours. Everything is non gmo, organic, low to zero sugars, homemade. Your body also feels great when you get rid of all the junk.

No one is suggesting a diet high in junk (again, this isn't an all or nothing thing, its a dietary context discussion). Like I said before, I eat highly nutritious foods (I aim for fish 3-4x a week, fiber at 30-40g a day, unsaturated fats, whole grains with minimal additives, etc...). But if you can't reach your calorie goal because dietary limitations, than you are going to be spinning your wheels. There is no superiority by only eating non GMO, organic, low sugar foods. That is personal choice. And it doesn't guarantee that your body or health will be better.

But keep in mind, sugar, in the context of spiking insulin, to enable growth, is key. And the best way to spike insulin is by eating sugar.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Yes...that's called putting a limitation on foods.

Not generally advisable or necessary for those looking to add weight.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

"Healthy" is dependent on your goals. If your goal is to gain weight, you will be unsuccessful unless you can make food choices that will allow you to remain in a caloric surplus; therefore, the best food choices in that context are the ones that allow you to continue to eat at a surplus. If it's 9pm and you still have 500 calories to eat, more chicken and broccoli (or yogurt and berries, whatever) may not be the best choice IF you can't choke it down. In that situation, something like ice cream may be easier to eat, and so it's the most healthy choice given your stated goals.

(And if you haven't had a day when it's late, you're full and you still need to eat more, you haven't been bulking long enough. Just wait, you'll get there).
  • taahirac001
    Options
    Add some 'heavy' starches - whole grain pasta, breads, etc. Not a lot, for example on days you work out eat a nice big bowl of pasta for dinner. Keep eating good and clean but try spreading your meals out a bit so you can increase your calories without being bloated and full. When I bulked I went from 5-6 moderate meals to sometimes 8 just to hit my calories (I would hit 6-8000 daily back in my younger days as a bodybuilder). Try a weight gain type protein after your workout (watch labels, some are better than others and you don't necessarily HAVE to take the full serving which might be 4+ scoops). Bottom line is gaining weight is the opposite of losing - you need to take in more than you expend. However to keep from spilling over and being fat or having a 'pot' as you said you need to work out the right way.

If you want a 'booty' (sorry, but that's what my clients have said in the past!) here's the secret - slow, low, heavy squats with proper form. Bottom your *kitten* out to your heels with a slow, controlled negative, then explode back up to the top squeezing your butt and driving with your hips. Go heavy!!! It shouldn't be easy. Another secret that nobody wants to hear is to smash that stairmaster for 20-30 minutes at a moderate rate progressing to 30-60 minutes. Hit it 3-4 times a week. It's not easy but it will work your thighs and *kitten* like nothing else will and the calories you burn will help keep your stomach tight. You can even stretch your calves as you step to tone them as well. Then throw your in dumbbell lunges and learn how to do still legged deadlifts with either a smith machine or dumbbells and you'll be on your way. Those female - themed workouts from curves and magazines will only get you so far before you will eventually realize to get those thicker thighs and *kitten* you want you'll need to start moving weight. Good Luck!!!

Wow! Thanks so much! I am going to go hard!!! Thanks for the advice. I know I have to go heavy, but getting out to a gym right now is not possible. Anything I can use at home?
  • taahirac001
    Options

No one is suggesting a diet high in junk (again, this isn't an all or nothing thing, its a dietary context discussion). Like I said before, I eat highly nutritious foods (I aim for fish 3-4x a week, fiber at 30-40g a day, unsaturated fats, whole grains with minimal additives, etc...). But if you can't reach your calorie goal because dietary limitations, than you are going to be spinning your wheels. There is no superiority by only eating non GMO, organic, low sugar foods. That is personal choice. And it doesn't guarantee that your body or health will be better.

But keep in mind, sugar, in the context of spiking insulin, to enable growth, is key. And the best way to spike insulin is by eating sugar.

Oh, I am not saying that my way is better than anyone else's. I do agree on sticking to healthy eating, but that also doesn't mean that I haven't enjoyed my guilty pleasures every now and then. Lol

But as I mentioned before, weight gain is not the problem. I am gaining eating the way I am eating, faster than expected too. I just need some help/advice on avoiding/ getting rid of muffin top while continuing to gain.

Or if I should focus on one before the other.
  • taahirac001
    edited February 2016
    Options

Wow! Thanks so much! I am going to go hard!!! Thanks for the advice. I know I have to go heavy, but getting out to a gym right now is not possible. Anything I can use at home?

@triggerpuller702 have to admit not excited about the stairmaster
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

Find a bodyweight progressive lifting program like You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. This site is also very informative: www.strengthunbound.com. The guy who runs it bulks while doing non-gym workouts.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Oh, I am not saying that my way is better than anyone else's. I do agree on sticking to healthy eating, but that also doesn't mean that I haven't enjoyed my guilty pleasures every now and then. Lol

But as I mentioned before, weight gain is not the problem. I am gaining eating the way I am eating, faster than expected too. I just need some help/advice on avoiding/ getting rid of muffin top while continuing to gain.

For the most part, it will be unlikely you will get rid of a muffin top while you bulk. When you add muscle, you add fat. It sucks and is the main reason why bulking is more difficult than cutting because the psychological component of intentionally gaining fat is rough. And no matter what you eat, you will gain fat. And for women, if done slow, for even 1 lb gained, 75% will be fat. Men are typically 50%. Now genetics, size of the surplus and training can impact that for the good or bad. Bad training will equal less muscle more fat. And similarly with eating. Gaining us abouy consistency. You dont want to play catchup like you can with dieting. So if you have a bad week, just start again.
  • taahirac001
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

Find a bodyweight progressive lifting program like You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. This site is also very informative: www.strengthunbound.com. The guy who runs it bulks while doing non-gym workouts.

Thank you so much! Going to definitely check it out!
  • taahirac001
    Options

For the most part, it will be unlikely you will get rid of a muffin top while you bulk. When you add muscle, you add fat. It sucks and is the main reason why bulking is more difficult than cutting because the psychological component of intentionally gaining fat is rough. And no matter what you eat, you will gain fat. And for women, if done slow, for even 1 lb gained, 75% will be fat. Men are typically 50%. Now genetics, size of the surplus and training can impact that for the good or bad. Bad training will equal less muscle more fat. And similarly with eating. Gaining us abouy consistency. You dont want to play catchup like you can with dieting. So if you have a bad week, just start again.

Hmm, I see. So I guess I should focus on bulky and then cut after.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

There comes a point where you cannot eat more chicken and veggies- "healthy nutrition packed food"- if you are staying toward low calorie- dense food- you're never going to make it.

in a bulk- SURPLUS is king. Not macros. So you can have perfect macros and "clean- healthy- nutrious" food all you want- but if you never make it to a surplus- you're never going to gain.

north of 3000K for 6 months and all the sudden eating another 8 oz of chicken starts getting nauseating- time to break out the milk and oreos my friend.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

There comes a point where you cannot eat more chicken and veggies- "healthy nutrition packed food"- if you are staying toward low calorie- dense food- you're never going to make it.

in a bulk- SURPLUS is king. Not macros. So you can have perfect macros and "clean- healthy- nutrious" food all you want- but if you never make it to a surplus- you're never going to gain.

north of 3000K for 6 months and all the sudden eating another 8 oz of chicken starts getting nauseating- time to break out the milk and oreos my friend.

As Alan Aragon puts it, you don't get extra credit once you meet your nutritional goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

As Alan Aragon puts it, you don't get extra credit once you meet your nutritional goals.

exactly.
  • taahirac001
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi guys!

I'm eating healthy and clean and have always stayed in surplus which is why I'm gaining 1.5 - 2 ibs a week. I think that while it is hard for some, even me at times, to eat healthy and get those calories doesn't mean it can't be done.

Honestly I'm not sure what eating healthy means for some people. Because I actually do not eat as much veggies as I should... Barely any actually. In fact most of what I eat is carbs. Less chicken more steak. But everything I eat is organic, and as for fats I stay with avocado, nuts, homemade coconut milk, etc

Well, what I really want to say is Let's agree to disagree, this thread isn't about healthy eating vs not healthy. To each his own!! ;);)