Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I have medium bones. I am most certainly not a tiny boned person. I've seen the x-rays. It means that at 122 pounds, about 100+ pounds of it is lean mass from larger bones and larger muscles. At 115 pounds, I look gaunt.

@lithezebra How tall are you?

@kshama2001 I'm 5' 4"
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I fell on ice outside school about 10 years ago. I fell on my hip so they sent me to ER to get x-rays.

The x-ray doctor said I had the largest sacrum (triangular bone that the tailbone attaches to) he's ever seen in his 30+ years of practice. I was like...uh, thank you?

But he said i also had larger hip/pelvic bones and that went along with it. (Also some of the largest he'd ever seen).

I'm fat but it's not my bones causing it.

Though, according to that dr I've got great bones for carrying babies lol. Once again, thank you I think ;)

Tl;dr yes, larger bones are possible!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I like having wide shoulders now as I feel like I can carry my weight better. I hated it in high school though. I wasn't fat and had a normal BMI but still wore a size large Juniors shirt. Now I am borderline overweight in upper normal BMI range and would love to get back down to a BMI 21-22 again as I was 36/26/36 then. The actual bones across the tops of my shoulders to the arm joint won't shrink.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was big boned until I lost weight and now I realize I am actually VERY petite. My bone structure is TINY!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I have 13.5 inch shoulders. My friend has 18 inch shoulders. It is indeed possible for two women who are not very different in height to have very different frame sizes. (She has an amazing hourglass figure to go with those shoulders).

Yes, I have 17 inch across shoulders. I can wear ladies size large shirts easily. Even if I lose 10 pounds I will still be more comfortable wearing large because I don't like tight across the shoulders.
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options

I gain muscle super easily too within about 3-6 weeks of working out.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

I'd recommend reading through this thread on why this doesn't make as much as a difference as you think it does.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this on the thread that is now MIA. My husband and I are both 5'7". The healthy range for our height is 110-159 lbs. He, being male, has heavier, denser bones and more muscle mass than I do. He looks best in the 150s. I look better between 135 and 145; in the 150s I look pretty pudgy. He still looks pretty good int he 160s; I look downright fat in the 160s. So, yes, frame size makes a difference. That said, I do wish there were separate bmi charts for men and women. The trade off would be that the appropriate ranges would be smaller, but I think it would be more accurate/useful.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I always felt like a huge oaf in comparison to other girls. At the school weighins every year, most of the girls were a good 20 to 40 pounds slimmer than me. By the age of 8, I was 120 pounds and I got my period by age 10. I stopped growing in height at 11 and everything else stopped developing by 13 or so. In 6th grade I slimmed down to 110 due to an active summer. In 8th grade I was 140 pounds but got down to 120 after making friends and hanging outside more often. High school it was 120, 160, 140, 190 until I had enough.

Was it my body's "set point"? Was it my large frame? My big bones? No, it was me. It was the poor food choices in my household. It was my obese mother who didn't care about nutrition. It was the lack of homecooked meals and not being sent to school with lunch meaning "lunch" was Skittles and M&Ms from the vending machine or two sausage biscuits for $1 from McDonald's. It was being thrown money for a fast food dinner almost every night. Once I hit 18 and took control after moving out, I went from 190 to 115 in a bit over one year. My "large frame" was suddenly a small one. My "wide hips" slimmed down. However, my body composition was never as good as it is now because now I know much more than I did back then.

This was me last June at 139 pounds and me in May at 112 pounds.
    vjcftfveg0la.jpg

I'm 109 pounds now. My frame changed a lot and I was never big boned or large framed to begin with. I just had to lose fat to see that.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I'd recommend reading through this thread on why this doesn't make as much as a difference as you think it does.

No, I like getting the definition and muscles now. I didn't like it when I was younger.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't think being "large framed" or "big boned" is an excuse for being over weight but in reality there are those who are just that..."large framed" or "big boned"

I have broad shoulders for a woman and despite wearing a size small tshirt (cotton stretchy fabric) my fitted jackets are mediums because of my shoulders...I can't wear "normal" bracelets either and forget anklets...not happening....and this is after losing 50lbs...no fat on my wrists or around my shoulders at all.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Growing up, I always felt like a huge oaf in comparison to other girls. At the school weighins every year, most of the girls were a good 20 to 40 pounds slimmer than me. By the age of 8, I was 120 pounds and I got my period by age 10. I stopped growing in height at 11 and everything else stopped developing by 13 or so. In 6th grade I slimmed down to 110 due to an active summer. In 8th grade I was 140 pounds but got down to 120 after making friends and hanging outside more often. High school it was 120, 160, 140, 190 until I had enough.

Was it my body's "set point"? Was it my large frame? My big bones? No, it was me. It was the poor food choices in my household. It was my obese mother who didn't care about nutrition. It was the lack of homecooked meals and not being sent to school with lunch meaning "lunch" was Skittles and M&Ms from the vending machine or two sausage biscuits for $1 from McDonald's. It was being thrown money for a fast food dinner almost every night. Once I hit 18 and took control after moving out, I went from 190 to 115 in a bit over one year. My "large frame" was suddenly a small one. My "wide hips" slimmed down. However, my body composition was never as good as it is now because now I know much more than I did back then.

vjcftfveg0la.jpg

I'm 109 pounds now. My frame changed a lot and I was never big boned or large framed to begin with. I just had to lose fat to see that.

Excellent work. You are actually structured very much like a friend of mine. I did a bit of a double take at the similarities (including glasses and hair) until I realized that you don't have tattoos across your midsection. xD
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Tell that to my hips, even at my smallest at 16, 125, I was a size 9 and it wasn't fat.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Was it my body's "set point"? Was it my large frame? My big bones? No, it was me. It was the poor food choices in my household... Once I hit 18 and took control after moving out, I went from 190 to 115 in a bit over one year. My "large frame" was suddenly a small one. My "wide hips" slimmed down. However, my body composition was never as good as it is now because now I know much more than I did back then.

vjcftfveg0la.jpg

Great transformation! This is inspiring that you did this much change in your body comp within a year. Plus your skin is nice and tight on your abs. I'm worried mine won't spring back like it used to.
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have very broad shoulders, and fairly wide hips. I basically have the aesthetic appeal of a Kenmore Elite refrigerator. Those proportions have remained after losing 30 pounds, too. Some people are, in fact, more broad than others.

Body shape is hereditary. My mom had to shop in the men's Levi section because she was straight up and down with no butt. However she was thin at 109 pounds and 5'4". I got the genes from my paternal side and have a bit more of a waist definition. Whereas my brother got my mom's build and could never pinch an inch. All you got was 1/4" of skin if you pinched his midsection. So I suppose we can all lose weight but fat distributes differently over bones and muscles from individual to individual. I have broad shoulders but they balance well with my body type so I'm fine with them.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

You should post a picture of your extreme muscle gains so we can see what your talking about