Sweet potato confuses me

Options
Could someone please explain how this works, as I've got an awful feeling I'm not logging enough calories.

I buy Asda Mini Sweet Potatoes, and the label says it's 34 kcal per 100g (boiled). The same brand of regular-sized sweet potatoes is 94 kcal per 100g (also boiled). Where have those extra 60 kcal per 100g come from? I thought it may have something to do with the water being absorbed, but if I had the bigger ones I'd cut them to the size of the mini ones anyway before cooking, so I can't figure out what difference it would make.

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I would use the usda entry and weigh them raw. I weigh everything raw
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I would use the usda entry and weigh them raw. I weigh everything raw

Thanks, but that doesn't answer the question. The labels (and UK labels are much more reliable than US ones apparantly) gives different kcals per 100g boiled.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Typo? If it's just sweet potato and you cook them from raw, they'll be around 80 calories per 100 grams.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You're either reading the labels wrong or the labels themselves are wrong
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    try looking at this ...
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=sweet+potato+nutrition
    and at this
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calorie-chart-nutrition-facts

No idea why your labels seem to differ. perhaps there is something on the label that your are not seeing ... look for the words 'per serving' and 'servings per container' to see if that clears it up. Or the label has an error on it?

and another site ...
    http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/CaloriesIn/Product/Search?desc=sweet+potato
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Typo? If it's just sweet potato and you cook them from raw, they'll be around 80 calories per 100 grams.

That's what I'm worried about (that it's an error I mean). Asda's website doesn't have the mini ones listed, so I can't double check there.

a0qrht4ujxdy.jpg

• CurlyCockney
    Options
    Hehehe I guess I wanted someone to say "it's ok, you can keep smothering them in butter...look how few calories they are!"

I'll use the full-sized potato data for now, thanks for your help :-)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Labeling error.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    different breeds of sweet potato may have different values, often what one calls a sweet potato may be a yam.
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The data on the label is for 100g boiled not raw so the calories will be lower as the potato will absorb water during boiling. Asda (and others) do this regularly with rice and pasta too. Compare cooked brown rice (120kcals per 100g) to raw (320kcal per 100g) and you'll see what I mean. They get away with it by mentioning somewhere on the packet that xx grams of dry product gives the suggested serving - which they then list as the nutritional information. Frankly it's questionable behavior but perfectly legal here in the UK.

Sweet potato is between 80 to 100kcal per 100g raw no matter what size it is in the bag. Sorry about that :(
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That's strange. It says clearly "values per 100 grams", and the kilojoules correspond with the kilocalories, so it's not a simple printing error. The value for folic acid is also off (way off; 10 times more than my source).
    The carbs are totally off. And it doesn't even add up. Fat 0.3x9=2.7 Carbs+ protein (4+2.1)x4=24.4 makes 27.1 That isn't 34!
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    I know I'm clutching at straws now, but is it possible that the peel has less calories than the actual sweet potato, and thus fewer calories as a whole because there's more peel in 100g of mini ones?
  • Mirasaki
    Mirasaki Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Possibly boiling removes some of the sugars from the potatoes? But other than that I've no idea!
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    tomw86 wrote: »
    The data on the label is for 100g boiled not raw so the calories will be lower as the potato will absorb water during boiling. Asda (and others) do this regularly with rice and pasta too. Compare cooked brown rice (120kcals per 100g) to raw (320kcal per 100g) and you'll see what I mean. They get away with it by mentioning somewhere on the packet that xx grams of dry product gives the suggested serving - which they then list as the nutritional information. Frankly it's questionable behavior but perfectly legal here in the UK.

Sweet potato is between 80 to 100kcal per 100g raw no matter what size it is in the bag. Sorry about that :(

I was comparing the data for both types boiled, not one raw and one boiled.
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    tomw86 wrote: »

I was comparing the data for both types boiled, not one raw and one boiled.

Fair enough, I'd log the raw usda entry then. I do that for all my fruit, vegetables and starches to avoid these sorts of discrepancies in labels - even though I'm in the UK and not the US.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Yep, I think that's what I'll have to do, thanks :-)
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    They are so much better baked. :) & easier.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything raw...problem solved