Sweet potato confuses me

Options
2»

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    They are so much better baked. :) & easier.

Ha! I know - they're delicious baked! Unfortunately they don't fit in with my plan from the dietician that way (it's a GL thing).
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Weigh everything raw...problem solved

Not solved, as the label doesn't give the nutrition raw. I'm going to use the big potato data for now, but I've just emailed the store in case they can shed some light on this.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Pinkylee77..... they are different varieties of sweet potatoes (or yams) or whatever. So they are different nutritionally too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything raw...problem solved

Not solved, as the label doesn't give the nutrition raw. I'm going to use the big potato data for now, but I've just emailed the store in case they can shed some light on this.

I think someone was drinking on the job. The calories from the macros don't add up to total calories. Unless you count fiber. Apparently you can get any number you want. :s
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    I might get a free potato as compensation ;-)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Big Potato is behind all this :p
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    Hmmph, they could at least use Celebrity Big Potato!

Once again, thanks everyone for your help (I realise I didn't respond to you all, but I read everything).
  • CurlyCockney
    Options
    So, I've finally received a response from Asda:
    Sweet potato nutrition data
    Response By Email (Claire Brant) (23/03/2016 08.22 AM)
    Hello

Thanks for your patience whilst I have been speaking with our Technical Team about the Sweet Potatoes.

I am sorry for the confusion caused with the nutritional data. I can appreciate how you feel about this.

Our Technical Team have advised that we have two different suppliers packing both of these lines.
    We have 2 different calorific values is that one supplier, packing the mini sweet potatoes, used a reference databank of nutritional data that was first published in 2002 (version 6). The other supplier of the 1kg sweet potato pack used information from a more recent version of this document that was republished in 2015 (version 7).

The 1kg sweet potato pack had ASDA packaging created last year, whereas the mini sweet potato packaging was created before the newer version of the nutritional data was published. This hopefully explains as to why we have 2 differing calorific values. As to why the calorific values in version 7 of the data bank differ to those of version 6 I believe is down to how the authors of this document have derived their data. Specifically in version 6 fibre was not included in the contribution to calorific values but in version 7 it was.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) maintains the UK Nutrient Databank, which contains extensive information on the nutrient content of foods commonly consumed in the UK. The McCance and Widdowson's The Composition of Foods (CoF) book series, contains nutrient composition data based on information from this databank. This is the same data bank that we use for sweet potatoes.

Once again, thanks for contacting me and I hope the above makes sense to you. If I can be of further help, please let me know.

I'm still not really sure what it means, but I'm hoping someone here will put it into basic English for me :smile:

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    How don't they fit your plan baked?? I have a misto oil sprayer and just mist olive oil on them and bake them, the amount of olive oil that gets puts on them is barely anything. So baked would be similar to boiled? I freaking LOVE baked sweet potato. Just a thought in case that option would work for you so you don't always have to boil them :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I am confused by how this is complex?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    This site shows 116 cal for 100g of boiled yam, and 76 cal for 100g of boiled sweet potato:

http://nutritiondata.self.com

If you're concerned, I'd use the higher amount. Or split it down the middle and count 96 cal/100g. This isn't an exact science; your food scale and your bathroom scale are not laboratory-grade instruments, and as the reply from ASDA indicates there can be different results based on what database they're using. I'd guess the results would be somewhat different depending on the age of the sweet potatoes, and even what farm they were grown on. Ditto for everything else you eat.

I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the small stuff.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ah, the rep's reply makes sense.
    Some food suppliers don't add the calories from insoluble fiber to the overall calorie values. The reasoning is that if you can't digest it, it doesn't supply energy, and shouldn't count towards your daily calorie consumption.
    The big potatoes use this nethod, the small ones include the fiber calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's what I was going to say, they probably don't count the calories for fiber.

I'd just use a USDA entry.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    different breeds of sweet potato may have different values, often what one calls a sweet potato may be a yam.

This is a good point!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yams aren't really commonly sold in the US -- more likely a "yam" is really a sweet potato.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    So, I've finally received a response from Asda:
    Sweet potato nutrition data
    Response By Email (Claire Brant) (23/03/2016 08.22 AM)
    Hello

Thanks for your patience whilst I have been speaking with our Technical Team about the Sweet Potatoes.

I am sorry for the confusion caused with the nutritional data. I can appreciate how you feel about this.

Our Technical Team have advised that we have two different suppliers packing both of these lines.
    We have 2 different calorific values is that one supplier, packing the mini sweet potatoes, used a reference databank of nutritional data that was first published in 2002 (version 6). The other supplier of the 1kg sweet potato pack used information from a more recent version of this document that was republished in 2015 (version 7).

The 1kg sweet potato pack had ASDA packaging created last year, whereas the mini sweet potato packaging was created before the newer version of the nutritional data was published. This hopefully explains as to why we have 2 differing calorific values. As to why the calorific values in version 7 of the data bank differ to those of version 6 I believe is down to how the authors of this document have derived their data. Specifically in version 6 fibre was not included in the contribution to calorific values but in version 7 it was.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) maintains the UK Nutrient Databank, which contains extensive information on the nutrient content of foods commonly consumed in the UK. The McCance and Widdowson's The Composition of Foods (CoF) book series, contains nutrient composition data based on information from this databank. This is the same data bank that we use for sweet potatoes.

Once again, thanks for contacting me and I hope the above makes sense to you. If I can be of further help, please let me know.

I'm still not really sure what it means, but I'm hoping someone here will put it into basic English for me :smile:

The fiber is not asorbed so because it is high in fiber it is lower in calories.