• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Best wishes!!
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ktfranke wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to give you all an update on my training!

I'm up to running 36 miles a week! I typically only run 3 days a week now. So I ran a 12 mile, a 6 mile & an 18 mile last week! And I'm averaging 10-11 minute miles!

I've been trying to choose routes that are on actual trails, or that have good elevation gain! And I've been running with my 2L hydration pack, so that I can get used to packing the weight! I'm feeling pretty confident so far!

I've discovered that I really need a caffeinated electrolyte drink around the halfway mark on my long runs. And I've also enjoyed using honey stinger gels every 3-4 miles!

The one struggle I'm having right now, is finding the right shoe/sock combo to prevent blisters... I bought some hokas a few months back, and some five toed socks to keep from blistering between my toes! But I'm getting terrible blisters on the outside of my big toe and on the inside ball of my foot, which makes me think I need a wider toe box, or maybe I need to start wearing compression socks to prevent swelling?!

The run date is August 5!

Fantastic progress! Just keep doing what you're doing and keep experimenting with the shoe / sock combo issue. It will be bliss when you find the perfect combination. Training on the type of terrain you'll race on is also crucial as is running with the extra weight of your pack. Have you tried 'INOV8' shoes? (INOV8 also do socks). They have a great selection of trail / hill running shoes, most come in two width fittings too. Salomon also have a fantastic range, I'm currently running in Salomon Speedcross 3's and love them.

Best of luck with your race!

Lorraine
  • Lorraine128
    Lorraine128 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Dismayed at the 'hating' going on here and on MFP in general..... :(
  • SumnyUK
    SumnyUK Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I'm up to running 36 miles a week! I typically only run 3 days a week now. So I ran a 12 mile, a 6 mile & an 18 mile last week! And I'm averaging 10-11 minute miles!

I've been trying to choose routes that are on actual trails, or that have good elevation gain! And I've been running with my 2L hydration pack, so that I can get used to packing the weight! I'm feeling pretty confident so far!

I've discovered that I really need a caffeinated electrolyte drink around the halfway mark on my long runs. And I've also enjoyed using honey stinger gels every 3-4 miles!

The one struggle I'm having right now, is finding the right shoe/sock combo to prevent blisters... I bought some hokas a few months back, and some five toed socks to keep from blistering between my toes! But I'm getting terrible blisters on the outside of my big toe and on the inside ball of my foot, which makes me think I need a wider toe box, or maybe I need to start wearing compression socks to prevent swelling?!

Yay, that's great progress! Well done getting to here!

Wrt the shoe/socks... blisters form when your socks rubs against the skin rather than against the shoe. I don't think there are any magic solutions, and what works for one person might not work for someone else. Sorry.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement @lorraine128! I almost bought the INOV8's! I'll have to keep that in mind if these new balance ones dont work out!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago I planned to hike from the Easy Pass trailhead to Stehekin. It was an ambitious plan. I was going to take about a week to do it, and eat moderately well on the trail. The food was too heavy for all the elevation gain, and pretty unpalatable. I wound up bailing down the Thunder Creek trail, hit the road at Colonial Creek, and hitch hiked back to my car. It was about 35 miles in all.

I ran into a pair of ladies on the second day who were doing the trip I ultimately did, as a trail run. They started at sunrise, and hopefully made it. I found the trip pretty difficult with my pack, with the overgrown brush, and the creek crossings. I didn't see another person for a few days after that.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm up to running 36 miles a week! I typically only run 3 days a week now. So I ran a 12 mile, a 6 mile & an 18 mile last week

What plan are you following?

fwiw I'm training for a 12 hour event, also in August although later in the month, and most of my runs are back to backs. I generally run short runs up to 10 miles on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and longer runs on Saturdays and Sundays. This weekend was a 10 miler on Saturday with a 20 miler on Sunday.

The observation that I'd make is that your frequency of taking on fuel is about the same as mine, but your calorie loading might be a bit low. As you've not yet hit the 20 mile point, which is where many new marathoners do find their fuel runs out, you may have to revisit your fueling strategy and take on board more calories at each point.

Can't help on the blister front, but I do use Inov-8 for both road and trail nowadays and the wider toe box seems to help my comfort a lot

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Dismayed at the 'hating' going on here and on MFP in general..... :(

The "hating" I've seen in this thread isn't from those asking for more details or even those who had strong opinions about the right and wrong ways to approach this (both for OP specifically and the public at large in a similar hypothetical situation)...

...but from those who would be so rude as to call out other users for foruming incorrectly in their opinion (or at least in a manner that leaves others dismayed).
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options

It sounds to me like you are on the right track, including maybe doing just a few long runs per week. It's fairly normal to be so thrashed from the weekend long runs that you can't run for a few days.

The shoe thing can be problematic. Blistering on the outside of your big toe make me think the curve of the shoe isn't correct for you. However, the blister on the ball of your foot might indicate you're getting some grit in your socks. If the trail is dusty, you might consider trail gaiters. Some people swear by them. You can try taping your trouble spots ahead of time, too. There is a way to tape over existing blisters so you can finish your race. Every aspiring ultr runner should get the book "Fixing Your Feet," by John Vonhof.

I'm with you on the caffeinated beverage late in the run! I don't know how anyone finishes without it. GU Roctaine tropical fruit beverage is pretty good. Cola can be great, too. It can also make you vomit.

You'll probably get through the event in one piece. How well you control your pace during the first half will largely dictate the depth of the well of despair you visit (or not) in the final miles. I can't wait to hear the report!
    VN

• Paul_Carcone
    Paul_Carcone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    To be honest...I've just run my first 50K and I didn't do anything different than my usual training. My advice is quite simple....just pick a basic marathon training calendar and use that (but switch the two week taper for the end - maybe give it three).

I think what you're doing is pretty ambitious - but do-able. Much of what you experience will be psychological - so it's as much about your tolerance for the severe discomfort you're going to get at some point after about 20 miles (36K) or so. So, be prepared to hurt (everyone else will be hurting too) but accept that feeling as genuinely earning the finisher's medal at the end!
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Common problem with Hokas, they are famous for having a narrow toe box. Don't wear compression socks, you don't want to restrict blood flow to your feet.

If you like the Hokas and don't want to switch to a wider toe, invest in some Body Glide and put it all over your feet before you put your socks on. It's slippery and will reduce the friction. Some ultra runners and marathoners even use good old duct tape on "hotspots" to prevent blisters.

• ktfranke
    Options
    pncarcone wrote: »
    To be honest...I've just run my first 50K and I didn't do anything different than my usual training. My advice is quite simple....just pick a basic marathon training calendar and use that (but switch the two week taper for the end - maybe give it three).

I think what you're doing is pretty ambitious - but do-able. Much of what you experience will be psychological - so it's as much about your tolerance for the severe discomfort you're going to get at some point after about 20 miles (36K) or so. So, be prepared to hurt (everyone else will be hurting too) but accept that feeling as genuinely earning the finisher's medal at the end!

So true! I've discovered what a mental game it is! There's days where the thought of running again almost makes me cry! Lol! Or the fear and anxiety I experience when I'm about to run a new distance that I've never done before... But when it's over the feeling of accomplishment is so worth it! Blisters or knee pain or whatever the cost!
  • ktfranke
    Options
    @meanderingmammal I'm using run trainer from the makers of mfp!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Blisters come from a combination of three things: heat, friction, and moisture. If you can cut down on them (or cut back on a combination), you can usually eliminate blistering all together, though from time to time, they do still crop up.

So its important to have shoes that fit (it sounds like you may need a wider toe box). Also, you should have wicking socks that draw moisture away from your foot. Something with coolmax or drymax technology (double layered is a plus). If you're wearing Injini's, you're probably fine on the sock front.

From then on, its more about what kind of run you are doing and which of the three root causes are to blame. if you are running in hot weather, and your feet are sweating too much for your socks to handle, you can try a foot powder (some like talc, some like cornstarch based). If your electrolytes are off, your foot may be swelling and increasing friction. Its recommended that for longer runs, you go up a half size in your shoes. Also get your salt balance right - for instance, do you notice your hands swelling during runs? If so, your feet probably are as well.

If you are running through streams and your feet are getting wet, you need shoes that will drain and dry. You should also consider a lubricant like body glide (or my favorite, Trail Toes). These will seal your foot, locking out moisture, and cutting down on friction, but again, if its super hot, you will sweat more and it will lock moisture in, so your techniques really have to be tailored to your specific run and its conditions. Its sort of trial-and-error to find out what keeps your feet happy.

Also, if you get a hot spot on your foot, you can always slide an empty gel packet between your sock and your shoe to keep it from becoming a blister.

• FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    This sounds really exciting! Best of luck and hope to hear how your run goes :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    @meanderingmammal I'm using run trainer from the makers of mfp!

OK, just looks a bit light on the mileage for where you are in the process, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best! This is quite a goal, but we can do some pretty amazing things. I see great support and advice in this thread and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your progress.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    What kinds of gps watches do you all use?!

I have 3-4 - but use a Fenix 3 mostly now.

That's a nice running platform!

It's a great watch. I use it for pretty much everything.

@EvgeniZyntx Any complaints about the watch. I've got 3 other Garmin watches but have been considering getting the Fenix 3.

@RUN_LIFT_EAT, sorry just saw this. No complaints from my side. Still loving it. My only comment would be that it doesn't replace a dedicated cycling device - I use it in parallel with a Garmin 800 series on the road bike for visibility.

@ktfranke - looks like you are getting your miles in, best of luck.