Maintenance at 1400 Cal/day

Options
After losing 40 pounds on Ideal Protein, I am now in maintenance and maintaining on 1400 calories a day plus interval running with walking and light weights.
Kind of depressing, yes?
I'm 57, 5'6" and weighing 138.

Replies

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Very indeed

How are you calculating your daily calorie intake? Weighing everything on a scale?
    Because that TDEE is very low
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?
    That is a low maintenance given your height and weight.
    Is it what MFP allotted you?
    If so, and you are not using a step counter/HMR, log your exercise in MFP and eat back 50-75%, (MFP overestimates calories burned through exercise).
    MFP is designed for you to eat back exercise calories on top of your basic allowance. It is called NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenisis)

Cheers, h.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    she says she is maintaining So i assume she is on 1400 already and keeping her weight steady...

OP? can you en light us?
    Are you already maintaining for some time or is this what MFP gave you?
    When so than you ( indeed) need to eat back your exercise calories
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If this is indeed accurate (that is, you weigh your food and have been maintaining at 1400 for awhile), I would suggest taking up serious strength training. You won't get "bulky", but putting on some more muscle will increase your BMR, and thus eventually increase your maintenance calories. It's also good for bone health to do some weight bearing exercise!
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 105 pounds and I maintain on around 1530 calories. Pretty sure you could be eating way more!
  • 1961dublin
    1961dublin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft 4 and around 130 lbs. I maintain at 1400 calories, but I am 54 and I dont exercise. My BMI is 22.5. Swift I am intrigued by the fact that you weigh 105 lbs!!!! And yes the OP should be able to eat more at her height unless she is underestimating her intake.....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    cmcurly wrote: »
    After losing 40 pounds on Ideal Protein, I am now in maintenance and maintaining on 1400 calories a day plus interval running with walking and light weights.
    Kind of depressing, yes?

that is bananas

you are active and not under 5' you should be able to eat more, much more

Are you getting messed up by swings in water weight when you increase

increase by 100 calories a day - stick at it for 2 - 3 weeks - allow your weight to fluctuate and settle - if it settles back to your 138 range (+/- 5lbs) then do it again, and again, and again until you are at a decent number of calories

also be aware if you're low carbing and then increase carbs you will get replenish your glycogen / water weight

ditch the light weights and lift heavy - you are at an age when progressive resistance is key to protecting your bone density and health into old age ..
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Following @rabbitjb with the advice to lift heavy. It is good for us more mature women.

Chose one of the 3x a week programmes that are compound and progressive.

Start with a weight that is heavy for you. Hand weights can be used instead of the barbell, you can progress to that if you wish.

@cmcurly I am older than you, 5'1, 100 lbs, exercise 5x60 a week and eat between 1450-1500 cals to maintain.

Try doing what rabbitjb advised and up your calories slowly over a few months.

Cheers, h.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd be really surprised if that's your maintenance. Try upping your calories gradually as suggested above. I'm much smaller than you and have a lowish maintenance compared to a lot of the women on my list, and even I maintain on 1900-2000 calories with exercise.
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. My stats are very similar. If we want to indulge, we have to make it up. I have the same battle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sounds about right. My stats are very similar. If we want to indulge, we have to make it up. I have the same battle.

No it doesn't sound right at all

Please can you have a look at my post upthread and try it

at 5'6, 1400 calories will be close to your BMR not your TDEE

I'd imagine your BMR is around 1300 - 1350 (might want to check a calculator there)
    If you walk say 4000 steps a day your TDEE would be around 1560 -1600
    If you walk say 10000 steps a day your TDEE would be closer to 2100
    and that's without purposeful exercise
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Kind of depressing, yes?

What do you mean by maintaining on, and plus? Is that level something you have landed on, by experience, weighing your food and yourself, correctly, every day, for several weeks? Or is it an estimate by a calculator? Maybe mixing up BMR and TDEE? Do you eat your exercise calories?

I'm 45, 5'3, 125 pounds, sedate, and maintain on 1775.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Seems way too low. I am <105 at 5'6 and maintain 2200 with 1 hour cardio few days a week.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yes OP some clarity on the questions asked here would be helpful especially:

Are you weighing all your foods?
    Do you eat back the exercise calories?
    How long did it take you to lose the 40 lbs and what calorie level were you eating at when you did?
    How long have you been in maintenance?

• 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I agree with rabbitjb, check your numbers! With your stats you should have a higher calorie goal for maintenance.
    Kind of depressing, yes?

I think losing weight on a diet like "Ideal Protein" is part of the problem. You are not really changing your lifestyle. You replace it with something artificial. It's difficult to go back to a normal lifestyle/diet afterwards. If you lose weight just by using MFP, by limiting your calories and "normal" food (whatever that is for you). Then maintenance is slowly adding 100kcal, 200kcal, 300kcal etc. It just gets better. Because you are used to your low calorie goal and now every additional calories feels like a bonus

Anyway ... good luck for your maintenance! Hope you find a way you enjoy it :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're eating more than you think.
  • Scrappydo67
    Scrappydo67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am not in maintenance yet but I read this thread and I have some questions about acronyms used here. What are BMR and TDEE?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Kind of depressing, yes?

hmm. How old are you?
    That seems awfully low.

I'm 50, 5'6.5" right around 138. I maintain on a bit more than that. And have for years.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I maintain at a lower weight than that with more calories, and do less than 1 hour exercise per day on average. You might be undereating, and body compensating for it by holding on to the fat...Try working out more and eating more.
  • Everdomad
    Everdomad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What about the calories you might drink? They can add up.