Maintenance at 1400 Cal/day

Options
2»

Replies

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Listen to what rabbitjb said. Your maintenance should be more than that. Also, remember, Ideal Protein is low carb so she's right on the money about glycogen, and of course eating a little more you'll have a little more food in your gut so a 3-5lb increase in scale weight when scaling calories up is completely reasonable for those 2 factors. If you are under eating (which you probably are based on your stats) your hormones will start to get seriously messed up, trust me, been there, done that, and it sucks. I also agree with everyone saying you should add progressive resistance training. It will help with bone density, joints, and the added muscle will increase your BMR and who doesn't like to burn more calories at rest?

Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im 5'1, consider myself sedentary and maintenance for me is right around 1600.

i would re-evaluate your stats and take what rabbit said into consideration.
  • orsolya_kiss
    orsolya_kiss Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's just wrong... I am 5'7" and 140 lbs... I train 4-5 times a week, do light cardio 2-3 times, and my maintenece is 2200 calories.
    OP, you either don't count your calories right, or that TDEE is calculated totally wrong.
    How much did you eat to lose that weight? I don't even dare to imagine :neutral:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    That's just wrong... I am 5'7" and 140 lbs... I train 4-5 times a week, do light cardio 2-3 times, and my maintenece is 2200 calories.
    OP, you either don't count your calories right, or that TDEE is calculated totally wrong.
    How much did you eat to lose that weight? I don't even dare to imagine :neutral:

I was wondering she uses a food scale myself. The only people I know who maintain at that level have hypothyroidism.

Also, is 1400 pre exercise? And how long have you been tracking 1400 calories to be your maintenance?

And doesn't ideal protein put you at 1000 calories or less to lose weight?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    +1 to "sounds low". It's possible to be an outlier to the standard stats, but by definition it's uncommon. Blood chemistry is as it should be?

My data point: 5'5" (was more like 5'6" before osteopenia), around 122 pounds, 60 y/o, eating 1700 net, quite active in terms of exercise (I eat it back), but sedentary in general non-exercise lifestyle. I'm close to maintenance, but I think I may still be losing verrrrry slooooowly on the 1700.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Your maintenance is higher than that - sounds more like your BMR amount which takes no exercise or normal daily activity into consideration.

I'm smaller (5ft 2" / 46yrs/ 130lbs) and maintain easily on 2100 calories. I am active (I walk/run and lift regularly)
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I agree, your maintenance # should be higher than that. I am 44 & 5' 2.5" & maintained for 2 years at 150lbs eating 1430. I am sedentary. You are taller & more active. How long have you been maintaining?