To sleeve or not to sleeve. That is the question

Options
Considering the Gastric sleeve. I have been overweight all my life but have gotten close to 325 pounds and I am sick of the constant yo yo of losing weight than gaining it back. Been working really hard on controlling my food intake and getting more exercise for the past year (counting calories, walking every day etc) and have not seen much of a result. I am currently fed up and in the process of getting a surgery date scheduled for my gastric sleeve surgery, but I am having second thoughts about going through with it at all. I get worried about the possible side effects post op. Anybody out there have advice, thoughts or opinions that might help me decide if I should do this or not?

Replies

• sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've never had surgery but I have been obese and at one time considered it. But I realized what would really change if I can't get any control of it on my own. So I didn't I tightened up on the eatign which was my main problem although I didn't want to admit it. I most certainly wasn't weighing my food.I wasn't counting ALL my calories. Or underestimating them ...severly.I still do that occassionally. But the biggest turning point was learning 2 things..#1. My triggers..what made me want to eat? Why didn't I stop when I was full? #2 Learning to walk away. I didn't have to eat because it was there. Which I did A LOT! It was there, it was free, other people were...
    Excuses, excuses, excuses. I still have the cravings, they never completely go away but I've learned and every day is a learning process. Don't give up. Good luck
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't. Just lose the weight by eating less, which is all the sleeve does anyways.

The quick fix for surgery doesn't correct the underlying problem: You need to learn to eat, correctly. For example, logging every day (Which you don't do).
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The way I thought of this option was this:

I can either be surgically altered, eat less and excercise daily and reach my goal.

Or I can stay unaltered, eat less, excercise daily and reach my goal.

Once I realized that the second two stayed the same with either of the first options I decided to just go without any altering.

The surgery won't create the success. It may give you a tool to achieve eating less but the reality of *having* to eat less *forever* is there no matter what. For a morbidly obese person (which I was) I had to face that. Once I got over myself (which was what I had to do), admitted I ate too much (which I did) and changed that (by logging all my food) I found I could "magically" lose weight after all.

There is no right answer for me to give you. My right answer for me was to choose not to have surgery. I wish you luck In figuring out your right answer.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it does work for some people - but the side effects are pretty awful. I'd suggest giving a conventional CICO diet a much more strict attempt before trying a sleeve. It would be worth it to avoid the sleeve. And give yourself more time. Any small progress is one step forward - don't try to lose the weight too quickly since that can easily lead to frustration. Someone here said success is being to be able to eat as much as possible while still losing weight - I LOVE eating - so I really liked that!

And it's funny, I upped my calorie intake a couple of weeks ago and ended up losing weight even faster. I think that is because of the occasions when I have to estimate my food (eating out, etc) - I am much more likely to overestimate now instead of the other way around since I am not frustrated and trying to get the most out of every last calorie.

How about taking the CICO diet one week at a time? Consider that this is how you would HAVE to eat if you had the sleeve anyway. So this could be practice. Be strict about it, weigh and log everything. Then do it a 2nd week. then a 3rd week. Don't worry about the actual scale weight for at least 3-4 weeks. Plan for easy wins - just 0.5 lbs a week. A 10 minute walk a day. I found the easy wins boosted my confidence dramatically and I naturally increased my goals as my strength/endurance/flexibility improved.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I started looking into weight loss surgery in my mid twenties. At the time RNY was pretty much it and I had to drive 3-4 hours to another city to consult with a doctor.

It is something I've researched a lot. I would not have LapBand and would not have RNY due to complications and long term effectiveness.

The sleeve is restriction only and is relatively safe. But the average weight loss is about 60% of excess and the long term effectiveness hasn't been measured with a lot of big studies yet based on how recently it has come into use as a weight loss tool. Long term safety seems fine...people have had portions of their stomach removed for a long time for ulcers/cancer/etc.

The stronger version with intestinal bypass - duodenal switch - is hands down most effective. But you have to get regular blood work done and take supplements forever. Personally I would only do that if I were diabetic as it seems to cure type 2 diabetes nearly 100% and I've read that it is used in Europe for treatment of diabetics that aren't morbidly obese.

You have to go in knowing that it is a tool, not a cure. I've seen people maintain fairly well and then there was one poor girl who had surgery and I heard she lost a good amount, but when I saw her again about 2 years out from her surgery she had gained it back.

Here is a calculator that might help you get an idea of what to expect:

obesitycoverage.com/weight-loss-surgeries/gastric-sleeve/gastric-sleeves-how-much-weight-will-i-lose
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    KrysKiss87 wrote: »
    Considering the Gastric sleeve. I have been overweight all my life but have gotten close to 325 pounds and I am sick of the constant yo yo of losing weight than gaining it back. Been working really hard on controlling my food intake and getting more exercise for the past year (counting calories, walking every day etc) and have not seen much of a result. I am currently fed up and in the process of getting a surgery date scheduled for my gastric sleeve surgery, but I am having second thoughts about going through with it at all. I get worried about the possible side effects post op. Anybody out there have advice, thoughts or opinions that might help me decide if I should do this or not?

What result did you expect and what result have you seen?
    What do you mean by working really hard on controlling food intake? If you haven't been losing weight but intended to, you haven't controlled it to the extent you were looking to.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I am a supporter of the sleeve and a lot of people have good results with it; however, it is a big decision and you will absolutely do best the more on point you are with your behaviors. Perhaps a good path to take would be to continue to prep for surgery while you commit 100% to using the tools at MFP. That means tracking everything and working on 1-2 lbs weight loss/week. Even if you decide to get the surgery, any weight loss beforehand will make the surgery itself go more smoothly and the skills you learn will be very helpful down the road.

The primary advantages of the surgery are that you almost certainly will lose weight in the first year, cutting out a large portion of the stomach appears to have metabolic effects that help people feel much less hunger and cravings and regulate blood sugar (if that's an issue for you). The disadvantages are that eventually hunger and cravings may reappear (~18 months down the road) and it gets easier to eat larger quantities over time, so you will still need to work at following the bariatric surgery diet and managing cravings, there are surgical risks (death, infection, leaks, etc.), and you are more likely to have nutritional deficiencies so will have to be very on top of supplementation and getting your levels checks (these can be very serious and as you know, most people aren't great about remembering to take vitamins).

The thing is, if you really commit to MFP, you can get similar results as with surgery. In 6-8 months I lost about the same amount of weight as I would have lost with lapband, and close to what I would have lost with the sleeve. (which was about half the amount of weight I would like to lose total). As is very typical for behavioral weight loss, at about 6 months I started losing some of my focus and adherence, and since then have been cycling up and down about 5-10 lbs, currently I'm at 45 lbs down from my highest weight, when I had been previously 58 lbs down.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had the bypass eighteen months ago, and my life is transformed as a result (for the better!). This is your call; nobody should shame or scare you out of your decision.

Here's a group you might want to discuss your options with.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

It pays to learn as much as you can about nutrition, problem solving, and recognizing poor eating habits (bingeing, obsessing, mindless eating) because you will still need these new habits afterwards.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    I've never had surgery but I have been obese and at one time considered it. But I realized what would really change if I can't get any control of it on my own. So I didn't I tightened up on the eatign which was my main problem although I didn't want to admit it. I most certainly wasn't weighing my food.I wasn't counting ALL my calories. Or underestimating them ...severly.I still do that occassionally. But the biggest turning point was learning 2 things..#1. My triggers..what made me want to eat? Why didn't I stop when I was full? #2 Learning to walk away. I didn't have to eat because it was there. Which I did A LOT! It was there, it was free, other people were...
    Excuses, excuses, excuses. I still have the cravings, they never completely go away but I've learned and every day is a learning process. Don't give up. Good luck

You're awesome. I just want you to know that. You owned it and changed it and didn't blame anyone else. You took responsibility for what got you to that point and learned from it. That is the hardest part of the weightloss journey I think.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I didn't see much of a result either until I fully committed to logging on MFP every day. And then I looked closely at what I was eating to see what filled me up and what didn't.

Your profile says you're a cake-aholic. I love love love to bake. However, eating baked goods and bread made from flour triggers me to overeat. For the first four months after I committed to MFP last year, I stopped baking. I ate a lot of fruit, mostly strawberries and raspberries, as I grow them. Also, berries are surprising low in sugar and calories, given how sweet they are.

Now when I bake I do it on Fridays, so I can give most of it away after having a serving or two. I limit desserts to after dinner, and only if I have the calories for them. I get extra calories from exercise.

I've also found that eating more protein and fiber keeps me full. Since you're not a vegetarian, try eating more meat and foods with fiber, and see if that helps keep you fuller longer.

You're only 28 - I am fully confident that you can do this without surgery if you are able to fully commit to it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I admit to watching "My 600lb Life" on tv - I find the folks there inspirational and I learn a lot from them. However, what I dont understand is why they ultimately go through with the surgery, when the successful ones learn that they can do it on their own. Maybe its a short term will power thing. What I mean is, the doctor usually wont do the surgery until the patient has lost X amount of lbs, and its usually at least 50. So they do it, by mindful eating and making changes and exercising, and STILL have surgery. It must be costly, its clearly painful for most, its life disrupting because a lot of patients actually move to Texas to be closer to the doctor - maybe becasue they HAVE gone through such a dramatic event that they become more committed to the process. Anyway, just my rambling thoughts on a Monday with just one coffee in me................
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Have you had your thyroid and other things checked? I struggled to lose weight and was finally diagnosed with PCOS, a metabolic disorder connected to insulin resistance. For me, calories in/calories out doesn't work (well, it works to a point, then I hit a wall and have to cut the carbs). If there is an issue with your thyroid, that can also affect weight loss. It may be that you have something going on that makes it more difficult to lose weight, and the right diet and possibly medication might fix that. And here's the thing about the sleeve: You can't just eat what you want after you get it. You still have to watch your diet and get exercise. So make sure you can do that before you get the sleeve (or any bariatric surgery). Overeating after that type of surgery can lead to complications.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    sanfromny wrote: »

You're awesome. I just want you to know that. You owned it and changed it and didn't blame anyone else. You took responsibility for what got you to that point and learned from it. That is the hardest part of the weightloss journey I think.

Thank you pzarnosky!!

I wish the best for you KrysKiss87...at the end of the day it's your decision but consider what I've heard from afriend who have done it, if you don't get control of your habits you'll end up right back in the same place. Much of this is mental.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Don't take this the wrong way but, have you ever been in therapy for your eating issues? Barring a metabolic problem, most severely overweight get that way because of a lack of control over food, and trying to find out the "why" of overeating and learning coping strategies can be extremely helpful.

I know where you are coming from. I have been a yo-yo dieter my entire adult life and 2 years ago was 311 lb. Working out ways to control my impulses and reduce stress really set me up for success this time. I have lost 125 lb so far and have 20 more to go to get to goal.

I have no issue with WLS but I really think, unless your life is in immediate danger, people should exhaust all other options first. After surgery, you are going to have to deal with your same relationship to food because they cannot operate on your way of thinking. Change that, and you may not need the surgery and all of its potential complications.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Most of the morbidly obese people I know eventually were able to power through and gain even more weight.

I know 4 people who have had the procedure. Only one of them has kept the weight off over time. This isn't a large enough sample to be relevant statistically.
  • KrysKiss87
    KrysKiss87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I do not view the surgery as a "quick fix" I'm aware that it will take diet and exercise no matter what I decide and I know my lifestyle has to change for long term results. This is something I am working on and have been for the last year. Believe me Surgery is my last resort option. I'm not looking at it as a magic pill that will make the weight just fall off. I've done mountains of research and lots of soul searching to even come to the conclusion that it MIGHT be an option. (which is why I pulled the trigger on starting the process) I'm having second thoughts because I know that lifestyle changes have to occur no matter what, and they have, but my weight keeps fluctuating. I would come up with some brilliant excuse as to why I haven't been logging, but the truth is I got lazy and complacent. I taught myself not to justify or make excuses a long time ago. Many a time I have kicked my own *kitten* into gear and scolded myself for my " I don't have time to work out" or my "one more cookie won't hurt me" excuses. I don't make those excuses anymore and I do eat well, which is why I am concerned about not losing the way I should. I'm leaning toward cancelling the surgery and giving myself more time. I'm doing this weight loss thing for my son. He needs me, so maybe it's a better example for him to do things the long and more difficult way. It would be a hell of a victory story to tell him when hes older.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I admit to watching "My 600lb Life" on tv - I find the folks there inspirational and I learn a lot from them. However, what I dont understand is why they ultimately go through with the surgery, when the successful ones learn that they can do it on their own. Maybe its a short term will power thing. What I mean is, the doctor usually wont do the surgery until the patient has lost X amount of lbs, and its usually at least 50. So they do it, by mindful eating and making changes and exercising, and STILL have surgery. It must be costly, its clearly painful for most, its life disrupting because a lot of patients actually move to Texas to be closer to the doctor - maybe becasue they HAVE gone through such a dramatic event that they become more committed to the process. Anyway, just my rambling thoughts on a Monday with just one coffee in me................

I'd argue that the people on "My 600lb Life" are not doing it on their own - they have extensive followup, and I'm sure even more than what is televised. In 12 step terms, some of them are making Dr. Now their higher power. I'm sure that external accountability is crucial for them.

I'm involved in a weight loss program through the Veterans Administration that provides external accountability. There are other ways to obtain this, such as Weight Watchers and I'm sure many, many other ways. For many, internal accountability works as well.

I'm not opposed to WLS in cases like what we see on "My 600lb Life" but don't know where to draw the line for having an opinion. I think invasive procedures should be a last resort.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I do not view the surgery as a "quick fix" I'm aware that it will take diet and exercise no matter what I decide and I know my lifestyle has to change for long term results. This is something I am working on and have been for the last year. Believe me Surgery is my last resort option. I'm not looking at it as a magic pill that will make the weight just fall off. I've done mountains of research and lots of soul searching to even come to the conclusion that it MIGHT be an option. (which is why I pulled the trigger on starting the process) I'm having second thoughts because I know that lifestyle changes have to occur no matter what, and they have, but my weight keeps fluctuating. I would come up with some brilliant excuse as to why I haven't been logging, but the truth is I got lazy and complacent. I taught myself not to justify or make excuses a long time ago. Many a time I have kicked my own *kitten* into gear and scolded myself for my " I don't have time to work out" or my "one more cookie won't hurt me" excuses. I don't make those excuses anymore and I do eat well, which is why I am concerned about not losing the way I should. I'm leaning toward cancelling the surgery and giving myself more time. I'm doing this weight loss thing for my son. He needs me, so maybe it's a better example for him to do things the long and more difficult way. It would be a hell of a victory story to tell him when hes older.
    I'd definitely go with that then.
    Interestingly, people can lose weight more weighs than there are people, but the people who maintain it tend to have habits and changes in common - they're studied by the National Weight Control Registry. One of the commonalities that exists in motivation is the desire to be a better mother. Doing things with that for a motivator has a higher probability of being something you'll maintain.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I reccommend watching My 600 Lb Life. It's pretty much all about weight loss surgery. In the end, many of the patients do have success with the various types of wls, but not before realizing that it wasn't the size of their stomach that was the problem. It was their own denial, emotional issues, and attitude toward food that got them to their max weights and hindered their success with the surgery.