Looking for healthy ground beef recipes please!

Options
2»

Replies

• beckyjopdx
    beckyjopdx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    love ground beef....not a fan of turkey in any form. my personal thoughts: I'll make nachos or tacos, etc. but I don't buy tortilla chips, etc. - I'll buy corn tortillas and fry them at the time, that way I don't have excess on hand and only make portions in ratio to the family. I'm also a sucker for Schnippers NYC mac n cheese w sloppy joe mix, but at home must be GF, so make GF mac n cheese from scratch & sloppy joe, but huge salad gets eaten by all first. taco soup is always good, or look for African or Moroccan recipes w ground lamb and sub in beef. Penzey's is the BEST spice source IMO, and I get vindaloo, berbere, saté, etc. jars from them so shake it up (sorry not sorry for pun.) this also works to take the boredom out of chicken and fish, etc.
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Might sound extreme but I live in a part of the world where you can buy a cow and have it packaged the way you like. I got ground beef made with no added fat. Butcher said it was at least 93/7 maybe better. The local store sells it occasionally too. Love it when there is no fat to drain off.
  • jes297
    jes297 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As far as beef vs. turkey goes, turkey is generally healthier than beef; however, moderation is key. I love ground beef but have gotten the hang of some pretty tasty turkey alternatives. I personally like to get my meat from a local farm (or try a farmer's market) to ensure I'm getting the best quality and healthiest meat possible.

As far as recipes...(which you can alternate both ground beef and turkey or half and half of each):

Sloppy Joes - ground beef, ketchup, worstershire sauce, brown sugar

Homemade meatballs - ground beef, 1-2 eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, chopped onion, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese (could use for sandwiches or with pasta)

Burgers - beef, egg, chopped onion, garlic powder, bread crumbs, soy sauce, worstershire sauce. I like to broil mine.

Lasagna or Mexican lasagna
    Meatloaf
    Stuffed peppers
    Pampered chef hamburger or taco ring

I encourage you to check out melskitchencafe.com. She has great recipes to give you more ideas!