Tips for running in the morning (as opposed to the night)

Options
13»

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Tips for running in the morning.
    • Set all your stuff out the night before. Sleep in your shoes if you like. Take a pillow to the track or the trail you run on and sleep there. No excuses when that alarm goes off.
    • Get up when the alarm goes off.
    • Have a little bit something to drink. Water. Cold coffee. Miller Light Whiskey
    • Eat a small snack if you like. I seldom do.
    • Get out there and run. You'll be asleep the first mile. Just tell yourself the first mile pace is slower and forget about it. No one will notice your slower split time. They'll all say "Damn! They already did their run this morning." and they'll be totes jealous of your 14 min/mile splits.
    • Enjoy the sunrise. This is one of the best parts of running in the morning.
    • Fell better knowing all the rapists and thugs are still asleep in bed and tired from chasing people that run in the evening.
    • Laugh at all the people stuck in traffic as you run past them.
    • Shower, enjoy some food and the rest of your day. Your workout is done all the rest of the day is yours!

I love this.
    Except I still worry about rapists because it's dark, and I'm usually finished by 6am when it's still dark out, so no sunrise for me :(
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    gorple76 wrote: »
    I'm a v early morning runner as my tactic to get me started was to set the alarm so early that I was damned if I was going to be awoken that early and not make the most of it and run. I don't eat or really drink before going out (did 7m this morning fasted and felt good until the last mile). My longer runs I do at the weekend and eat a banana first and take sweets if going more than 8-9 miles. I don't worry about my pace on my early runs - they are slow. But then when I run furled and fully awake (and in daylight) I am comparatively speedy! In short, I wouldn't worry about pace as it will still benefit your running overall and will improve race times etc if that matters. I have an early morning pace and a (faster)normal pace

You're right - I should definitely factor in morning pace vs normal pace. Good input!
  • DaphneSW
    Options
    I think its all been said but I too am an early morning runner. I started around 5 months ago and chose 5:30am as it was quiet and no one would see me make a fool out of myself struggling to complete 2.5k!

Since then it has become habit and I am now doing 10k runs and getting it finished before 6:30am. The whole day is then mine! I run fasted with the exception of a small drink containing BCAA's.

Getting up can be a struggle, especially during the winter months and the weather dictates if I go outside or not. When you do though, its a different world out there. If you run in the country or on the outskirts of a town then there is a wonderful feeling of tranquillity as you witness the night disappear and nature coming to life.

Running later in the day just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Thanks for your post - congratulations on getting to 10km, when only starting at 2.5km! That's amazing.
    A question though, how many mornings a week do you fit these in, and then do you also get up that early on the days you don't run?
  • DaphneSW
    Options
    pgray007 wrote: »
    In the winter, don't forget to wear a blinky light and headlamp, so the groggy drivers out on the road see you! I have a petzel headlamp that I really like that charges via USB so it's always ready to go.

Oh, that is a valid point!! Never thought of that - will add that to my bucket list now :)
  • DaphneSW
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I run in the morning, sometime between 05:00 & 06:30, because that is the only time i can guarantee nobody is asking for me for anything, and because I have to run before drinking anything. Yes you will be slower, that's normal, you need to warm up. Just be slower. Save one day a week for sprints and do those in the afternoon, or do the long slow slog then a few sprints at the end.

I do not eat or drink anything before heading out, just drink a lot of water the night before, but never run more than 5 miles anyway. I can't drink before running because #4 baby knocked the urethra out of alignment or something, anything in my bladder leaks out (only during running, not coughing or laughing or anything) and I'm not so hardcore that I don't care.... up to 5 miles fasted has never been a problem, I drink a bunch of water when I get back, and am conditioned to fasted workouts at this point.

If you ever run a race, it will almost certainly start in the morning, so it's good training to do your running at this time anyway.

Just get up and put on your shoes and step out the door. That's the important part. Day after day.

Great post and I totally agree! Thank you :)
  • DaphneSW
    Options
    • Set all your stuff out the night before. Sleep in your shoes if you like. Take a pillow to the track or the trail you run on and sleep there. No excuses when that alarm goes off.
    • Have a little bit something to drink. Water. Cold coffee. Miller Light Whiskey
    • Get out there and run. You'll be asleep the first mile. Just tell yourself the first mile pace is slower and forget about it. No one will notice your slower split time. They'll all say "Damn! They already did their run this morning." and they'll be totes jealous of your 14 min/mile splits.
    • Fell better knowing all the rapists and thugs are still asleep in bed and tired from chasing people that run in the evening.
    • Shower, enjoy some food and the rest of your day. Your workout is done all the rest of the day is yours!

This is AWESOME!

I always run in the morning, and almost always in a fasted state. On rare occasions when I feel very hungry first thing in the AM, I will have like half a banana and a swig or two of water, then give it a few minutes to digest so I don't cramp up, but 95% of the time I'm on an empty stomach. Then when I'm done, I shower up, eat breakfast and then I'm good for the rest of the day!

Between having a job and 3 kids, getting up early before the rest of the family does and getting my workouts in is kind of the only option. The evenings are just too hectic and by then I'm too tired.

I have my workout clothes all laid out and ready to go the night before. I get up, change, and go get after it! I actually look forward to it everyday, its a great way to start my day, get my body working, and get my calorie burn on!

Just like anything else, it takes a while for the habit of getting up and exercising early to form. Give it a few weeks, you'll be an early morning champ in no time!

Sounds like a really good routine you have there - and I totally agree that getting it done first thing means your evenings are free to take care of other life obligations.

You guys have convinced me - looks like I'll do my scheduled run in the morning tomorrow instead of the evening. So grateful for the positive input and advice!!!
  • cwolfgram
    cwolfgram Posts: 105 Member
    Options

This. Sums it up.

In particular, setting out my clothes the night before helps. Anything to minimize excuses. I always eat something small before I work out. I need it. Usually English muffin/toast with some no-nut butter. Or a protein bar or shake. After you start morning workouts, you will love it. You have more energy throughout the day.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I wake up 2 hours before I run and eat a 500cal breakfast. Sometimes I go back to sleep for a bit.
    I generally eat greek yoghurt oats sultanas bananas and honey.
    Low fibre is better.
    I hate running unfuelled, but if it's a really early start then a banana and a gel just before?