can anyone make a case for gluten being healthy?

Options
gluten seems to be connected to many ailments but even if its too soon to know for sure can anyone make a case for gluten being healthy for us? seems like whatever its in isnt very healthy. wheat bread? so lets say the research proves gluten is not harmful after all, is it healthy? if its neither than what is its purpose in our food system? i understand people needed to survive on the stuff but now most of us can make the best choice for our health

Replies

• BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I just say listen to your own body. All I know is that I tried to be gluten free and just felt bad. I feel much better when I include whole grain wheat.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    gluten is a protein, protein is important in over all health if you are a vegan or vegetarian Setain (sp) is a good source of protein. So yes it can be healthy.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    gluten seems to be connected to many ailments but even if its too soon to know for sure can anyone make a case for gluten being healthy for us? seems like whatever its in isnt very healthy. wheat bread? so lets say the research proves gluten is not harmful after all, is it healthy? if its neither than what is its purpose in our food system? i understand people needed to survive on the stuff but now most of us can make the best choice for our health

I give up on the HTML. But my opinion of your question can be found here.

http://www.nightfox.es/an-ax-to-grind-a-practical-ax-manual-united-states-department-of-agriculture-forest-service/

Edited to try to fix html
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I was going to argue on the semantics of "healthy" but I think I'll hold back tonight.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The issue about gluten getting an unhealthy reputation could be down to the fact that coeliac disease might be very much underdiagnosed.

I sat through a presentation on this at a conference just a few weeks ago.

For example, read this from the 1980s: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1714677/pdf/brmedj00046-0032.pdf
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Edited: duplicate post.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I believe it's most useful in baking/bread-making. (Cooks will be able to tell you more, but I think it's to do with its role in rising and texture). It's not so much a health benefit as a culinary benefit.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Someone has already mentioned gluten's a protein, also the other ingredients that go into all the delicious gluteny products like wholemeal seeded breads can have many health benefits
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Gluten free is healthy for people who have a known intolerance to it. It's not something to do because you want to lose weight. Some people feel great when they eliminate gluten, some feel crappy. It's like going vegetarian or dairy free. It's something you should do because you think it will help you lose weight, it's something you do because you feel it would make you feel better.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Gluten IS a protein - it's the protein in wheat, rye, and barley. What makes it healthy is for people that can't digest it properly to eliminate it. You know you can't digest something properly if you get bloating, gas, digestive upset, or general discomfort after eating something. It can take minutes to a few hours after eating something to feel those type of symptoms. I don't understand why people continue to eat food that bloats them and makes them gassy thinking it's normal - it's not. No food should make your body react that way. I don't care how good it tastes, it's not worth it IMO.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I can make a case for it being tasty :)

It's wot sticks my bread together innit?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Uhh, not sure I get the question. Humans have been consuming and living on gluten based foods for thousands of years. Some people are allergic to it. Those people shouldn't eat it, just like people who are allergic to strawberries shouldn't eat strawberries. It's really not a complicated concept.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Unless you have celiac disease or a non-celiac gluten sensitivity (real, not imagined), then there is no reason to avoid gluten.

It is only a problem for people who react to the protein.

That's a sufficient case. Like all things, moderation is the key. don't overconsume foods high in gluten and you reduce your risk of overexposure and developing a sensitivity.

Enjoy it if it is not a problem for you.

Many gluten free prepared foods are nutritionally vacant and not that good for you.

Don't be sucked into thinking that gluten free is a healthy solution for all.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    It hasn't killed me yet, nor have other healthy things like nuts and seeds. But if I was intolerant/allergic it would not be "healthy" for me to eat those things.

I think the main problem is assuming that just because some people have problems with a substance then everyone else does too (my MIL is a great one for that!).

I don't cut anything out of my diet unless I don't like it or I suffer specific ill effects after eating it (turmeric, cumin and chilli). If it is something not particularly beneficial - like doughnuts - I restrict it to an occasional treat.

Quite frankly finding a varied diet not too high in calories which fits working full time AND having a family is sufficient challenge - why make thigs difficult becaue of some scare journalism?:smile:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Gluten free is healthy for people who have a known intolerance to it. It's not something to do because you want to lose weight. Some people feel great when they eliminate gluten, some feel crappy. It's like going vegetarian or dairy free. It's something you should do because you think it will help you lose weight, it's something you do because you feel it would make you feel better.

this.
    do what works for you.

i went gluten free for a couple of weeks. I felt fine, weight was about the same, etc. But I also spent a lot more on food, hated the "pasta", and didn't get to enjoy a lot of the foods.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It's the latest boogeyman in a long line of boogeymen.

Something is identified as causing an issue in a very small segment of the population and every quack "holistic healer" out there jumps on it.

Now, I'm off to enjoy my coffee, eggs, bacon, toast and peanut butter. Each of which was at some point identified as a boogeyman.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Protein is a macronutrient. The protein that I get in breads and pasta is nice bump to the protein I get from meat and dairy. Personally, I'm sick of people calling food "unhealthy."

Food Elitism is disturbing.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Uhh, not sure I get the question. Humans have been consuming and living on gluten based foods for thousands of years. Some people are allergic to it. Those people shouldn't eat it, just like people who are allergic to strawberries shouldn't eat strawberries. It's really not a complicated concept.

^^This!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    And let me just add that any food is healthy so long as it helps you to meet a particular macro/micronutrient goal.