can anyone make a case for gluten being healthy?

Options

Replies

• professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Some people are allergic to peanuts. Does that mean I need to prove that peanuts are "healthy"? If you have no problem with gluten, then it can be a part of your healthy diet. Yep, just like tigersword said. It really is that simple.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with gluten unless you have an intolerance to it or you have celiac .. Just because some people have an issue with it doesn't mean it's not healthy or everyone needs to cut it out of their diet. Any food is healthy provided the rest of your diet is in check and you control your portions.

I consume gluten almost daily. I don't consume much bread if any however I make an amazing meat free "chicken" nugget with pure gluten flour and some spices.

There is legitimate gluten issues with some people. However, a lot of people are jumping on gluten free thinking it's healthier, will lead to more weight loss, thinking gluten (because some have an issue with it) is a terrible thing to consume, etc. There is always some food that is the new terrible food for you.
  • KatyCurtin
    KatyCurtin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Personal experience only.

The people I know who miraculously felt better when eliminating gluten from their diet were eating more fresh fruits and veggies and less prepared food. Perhaps the key wasn't so much the lack of gluten, but more the removal of additives and preservatives.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    gluten is a protein, protein is important in over all health if you are a vegan or vegetarian Setain (sp) is a good source of protein. So yes it can be healthy.
    It's also the binding agent that makes bread bread and not dust.

Gluten is bad if you have Celiac or a specific sensitivity. Otherwise, it isn't bad for you at all.
  • sarahellen28
    Options
    As others have said, gluten is a binding agent. It forms when flour and water are mixed. If you think you may be allergic to gluten, get tested. My sister thought she might have a gluten sensitivity but found out she was allergic to soy.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The self-diagnosis of imaginary celiac disease and gluten intolerance is on the rise in this country. Gluten is quite healthy. It is an easily digestible source of non-meat, non-dairy protein.

Google "gluten" and the first few pages are filled with crap for sale and paleo nonsense. "Gluten-free" is marketing aimed at taking money from wealthy people who don't use their brains properly.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The self-diagnosis of imaginary celiac disease and gluten intolerance is on the rise in this country. Gluten is quite healthy. It is an easily digestible source of non-meat, non-dairy protein.

Google "gluten" and the first few pages are filled with crap for sale and paleo nonsense. "Gluten-free" is marketing aimed at taking money from wealthy people who don't use their brains properly.

QFT
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    As others have said, gluten is a binding agent. It forms when flour and water are mixed. If you think you may be allergic to gluten, get tested. My sister thought she might have a gluten sensitivity but found out she was allergic to soy.
    And soy is so prevalent it can be as hard to avoid as gluten!

If you think you are allergic or intollerant to anything than get it tested - otherwise you might be making yourself miserable (and possibly damaging your health) for no reason, or the wrong reason.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Personal experience only.

The people I know who miraculously felt better when eliminating gluten from their diet were eating more fresh fruits and veggies and less prepared food. Perhaps the key wasn't so much the lack of gluten, but more the removal of additives and preservatives.

Bingo~!:drinker:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Each of us may or may not have different food sensitivities that ebb and flow over time. My mother, sister and I are all sensitive to tomatoes and get acid reflux from them.

!!! !!! !!! ALERT ALERT !!! !!! !!!

Okay, time for Dr. Oz and his ilk to ALERT THE MEDIA. Lots of people are reacting badly to tomatoes! Tomatoes cause GERD for many people. Chronic GERD and its inflammation have been linked to esophageal cancer! OH NO. TOMATOES CAUSE CANCER! EVERYBODY should stop eating tomatoes!

No, Chicken Little. Look up a moment and you will see that the sky has not fallen. The women in my family will sadly avoid tomatoes but don't let that stop you from enjoying them.

And so it is with many of the things we eat, gluten included. If it bothers you, don't eat it. If it doesn't, enjoy some nice, chewy bread.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The case for gluten is that I consume gluten and feel fine. It's not fine for those with celiac disease. Gluten-free diet for healthy people is quite the fad.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    What makes something healthy? I think it is more important to prove something isn't "healthy" I guess for lack of a better word. I think for gluten those problems are because somebody is sensitive or allergic to it, but does that mean the presence of it is going to cause a heart attack, and weight gain. Is fish, or peanuts unhealthy, because people are allergic to those?
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    gluten seems to be connected to many ailments but even if its too soon to know for sure can anyone make a case for gluten being healthy for us? seems like whatever its in isnt very healthy. wheat bread? so lets say the research proves gluten is not harmful after all, is it healthy? if its neither than what is its purpose in our food system? i understand people needed to survive on the stuff but now most of us can make the best choice for our health

I give up on the HTML. But my opinion of your question can be found here.

http://www.nightfox.es/an-ax-to-grind-a-practical-ax-manual-united-states-department-of-agriculture-forest-service/

Edited to try to fix html

THIS.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    gluten seems to be connected to many ailments but even if its too soon to know for sure can anyone make a case for gluten being healthy for us? seems like whatever its in isnt very healthy. wheat bread? so lets say the research proves gluten is not harmful after all, is it healthy? if its neither than what is its purpose in our food system? i understand people needed to survive on the stuff but now most of us can make the best choice for our health

Wheat has nutrients. Case made.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It's important for my mental health to have bread and pasta occasionally, yes.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Just because something isn't "healthy" doesn't mean it's unhealthy. Everything in moderation. Snickers bars aren't healthy but I'm not about to give them up. I'm also not eating them for every meal.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    In for mock duck. (made from gluten)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just because something isn't "healthy" doesn't mean it's unhealthy. Everything in moderation. Snickers bars aren't healthy but I'm not about to give them up. I'm also not eating them for every meal.
    Hey, decent protein, some fiber, good fats from the peanuts, what makes you think a Snickers bar isn't healthy?:drinker: I have one a day as a snack at work.
  • TheNewPatricia
    Options
    I gave up every thing white (flour-sugar-rice-potatoes) almost 3 years ago and lost 140 pounds PLUS quit smoking in the process. It was not easy as I was addicted to carbs, but now I don't miss the stuff. :glasses:
  • cicd
    cicd Posts: 2
    Options
    U don't need gluten and it is bad cause they use it as a preservative for everything and it is suppouse to be only wheat and some other grains but now is everywhere.
    I have a gluten free diet cause I have the celiac disease and actually I feel lot better now, nothing is gonna happen if u stop eating things with gluten.
    Yes, it is a protein but u can get from something else.