So I have a workout plan. What do you think?

Options

Replies

• ldilone13354
    ldilone13354 Posts: 125
    Options
    My honest opinion is that all exercise is good exercise :)

You may get more muscles in your thighs and legs, however unless you lose weight they will still be covered with a layer of fat. What kind of exercises for your legs and butt will you be doing?

I agree lol. I'm actually doing this 10 minute workout video for my thighs and butt.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X663kXIufZI
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    A mile walk is about 20 minutes at 3.0 miles an hour. Less time if you walk faster. At your age, it's probably fine for some exercise. As for it "toning" thighs, it that were true, then people (like walking mail people) should have super fit thighs and unfortunately they don't. Walking is a daily movement so don't count on that "toning" up your thighs. To do that you need to use resistance that forces them to work and contract harder.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    A mile walk is about 20 minutes at 3.0 miles an hour. Less time if you walk faster. At your age, it's probably fine for some exercise. As for it "toning" thighs, it that were true, then people (like walking mail people) should have super fit thighs and unfortunately they don't. Walking is a daily movement so don't count on that "toning" up your thighs. To do that you need to use resistance that forces them to work and contract harder.

IDEA Fitness member

What kind of forces should I do? I can't go to the gym so that doesn't count.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The only way to "tone" your thighs is to lose fat over your whole body, thigh exercises won't help. Full body resistance training and a small, gradual caloric deficit is what you want.

I think what Im doing is perfectly fine. I've lost weight before and it made my thighs even more flappy so your wrong. Walking tones your legs because your working your legs when your walking and me doing the exercises for my legs will work. I've spoken to people about my thighs and they say do squats or lunges which is exactly what I'll be doing. I'm exercising so I'm sure I'll get the legs I want. I'm also eating healthy and my caloric deficit is fine. Thanks for your opinion but I know what I'm doing,

So what is your question again?

Oh, and he gave you a good answer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Learn how to do a pistol squat for starters. You'll probably need a wall or chair for balance starting out. Unilateral leg training can work with just bodyweight.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ldilone13354
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Learn how to do a pistol squat for starters. You'll probably need a wall or chair for balance starting out. Unilateral leg training can work with just bodyweight.

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you for your advice. I'll start doing those. :)
  • hide_yo_cats
    hide_yo_cats Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don't you want to tone your arms or upper body at all? I understand that your areas of concern are primarily your legs, but you would benefit a lot from other compound exercises that will strengthen your core and upper body as well. And FYI, when I started 3 years ago, all I did was walking, running, and Kendra Wikinson's butt and thigh workout, and my thighs and butt nver tightened up until I started doing compound heavy lifting-- Just my experience!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Of course I want to tone my arms that's why I'm speed walking everyday. :) To be honest I can't afford a gym to do heavy lifting so I think I'll stink to what I'm doing, everything is different for people.

Are you walking on your hands?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I'll 2nd this! - In the summer I walk the 2miles to work, & generally take my dogs out for walks varying between 2-7 miles. This includes some steep (ish) trails. I feel qualified to say neither my thighs or my *kitten* have improved from this :noway:
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Im surprised no one mentioned that sooner. You cant tone your arms by walking. :noway:

Push ups, body weight squats, lunges all will help if you cant get to a gym currently.

Quit making excuses for not getting to a gym. If getting healthy is important, youll find the time and money.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Im surprised no one mentioned that sooner. You cant tone your arms by walking. :noway:

Push ups, body weight squats, lunges all will help if you cant get to a gym currently.

Quit making excuses for not getting to a gym. If getting healthy is important, youll find the time and money.
    There are all walks of life here. Not everyone can find the time and money
  • CysterWigs
    CysterWigs Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think it's a crummy excuse to say that you can't do stuff because you can't make it to a gym. There are a LOT of things you can do for free in your living room that will work you very hard just using your body weight.

Walking is a horrible exercise for toning. It doesn't get your heart rate up high enough to really burn much of anything (unless you're super out of shape, hiking trails, or walking at an incline) and doesn't work any of your muscles in a way that really challenges them. I used to walk everywhere as a kid and would wonder why I was still chubby. Walking is better than nothing, but squats, plyometrics, some yoga, and arm work with 10 lbs dumbbells (which are pretty inexpensive and available at many unexpected places - like WalMart, for example) have been very helpful to me on my journey so far...and from the look of your pic, I was way more out of shape than you when I started. :)
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This thread was pretty funny (and a very interesting) read. Sometimes, people ask questions because they want to hear what they want to hear. I know; I have been there myself.

And, there is so much misinformation in the media, commonly held wisdom, and just wishful thinking. *Sigh!*

I work out at home. But, without my weights (and the strength training regimen), I might as well not even work out at all.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    What do you think? What's your honest opinion and of course eating healthy.
    The only way to "tone" your thighs is to lose fat over your whole body, thigh exercises won't help. Full body resistance training and a small, gradual caloric deficit is what you want.

I think what Im doing is perfectly fine. I've lost weight before and it made my thighs even more flappy so your wrong. Thanks for your opinion but I know what I'm doing,

So what you should have said originally is, "hey, this is what I'm doing. Tell me I'm doing it right because I don't want to hear your opinion of you disagree with me and offer me rational advice."
  • kalieah
    kalieah Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    lol at the answers.

Im not trying to be rude or anything, but to be honest, walking isn't going to tone your arms/legs. Unless, you are walking up a mountain, or at an incline. There are maaanny exercises you can do without a gym! just look some up:) or you could do insanity/p90x or pretty much any video. just search them on google, and watch the free ones ;)
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I believe you were looking for exercises that don't require a gym. Someone here recommended "You Are Your Own Gym" and I'd just like to second that :)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options

I think what Im doing is perfectly fine. I've lost weight before and it made my thighs even more flappy so your wrong. Walking tones your legs because your working your legs when your walking and me doing the exercises for my legs will work. I've spoken to people about my thighs and they say do squats or lunges which is exactly what I'll be doing. I'm exercising so I'm sure I'll get the legs I want. I'm also eating healthy and my caloric deficit is fine. Thanks for your opinion but I know what I'm doing,

If you know what you are doing, why did you ask?

Walker's thighs:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/5777368/Mall-walking-window-shop-till-you-drop.html

Good luck with that.
  • egaber13
    egaber13 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you want to get more toned I would try and lift with light weights and do many reps three times a week (3 sets of 15 reps give and take, depending on the lift). Lifting with weights is really good for toning muscles. If you're eating well and doing some light weights and staying fit, don't worry about your weight, just keep and eye on it and focus on toning. If you start to gain a lot of weight then lighten the weights. Always make sure you drink enough water and eat enough to recover from the workout. I've been interested in doing the same thing and have been experimenting for a couple of years. I'm a DII college athlete so I have a lot of personal experience with this type of workout. Everyone's body is different though so you'll have to keep an eye on it and adjust it as you go. Good Luck! :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This thread contains everything I love about mfp
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    The only way to "tone" your thighs is to LOSE FAT over your whole body, thigh exercises won't help. Full body resistance training and a small, gradual caloric deficit is what you want.
    I think what Im doing is perfectly fine. I've LOST WEIGHT before and it made my thighs even more flappy so your wrong.

Losing fat and losing weight are not the same thing. Full body resistance training will help preserve lean body mass to mitigate the undesirable appearance of the skin on your thighs as you lose fat, if you have a caloric deficit and do indeed lose fat that is. Chances are, though, that genetics will play a large role and that your thighs will probably not change appearance significantly without extraordinary dedication and discipline, and perhaps not even then. I can't know for sure, but your thighs probably look fine the way they are and health and general fitness might be a more fruitful goal for you.

Hey, walking is great for health and general fitness, so there you go. It would be a good idea to gradually increase the intensity, though, which will eventually lead to running. Running is awesome.

I look forward to reading about how wrong I am.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I know what I'm doing but I'm going to ask for opinions.