Bad habit: Drinking your calories

Options
In addition to drinking water most of the time, I also drink coffee and sometimes an alcoholic beverage or two.

I am really just astounded at how easy it is to exceed your allotment with liquid calories.

After a weekend of having a few cocktails my weight goes up.

The Coffee Mate I put in my coffee every morning adds up to 120 calories. I could eat another egg if I could give it up! And probably half a piece of toast.

Words of encouragement? Clearly the pattern of drinking your calories is a significant contributor to weight problems in this country!

Replies

• MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'll be eagerly watching for these words of encouragement. Alcohol slays me.
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I gave up Pepsi at the beginning of this month, but I still have my coffee each day. I am doing my best at drinking water most of the day, but I can't live off just that. What I am doing is trying to focus on putting less sugar and creamer in my coffee each week to wean myself down. Also, I have substituted my evening coffee with tea (sugar & 2% milk) and that has helped me reduce my calorie intake from drinks.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I switched to vodka, soda, and lime(90 calories) and switched from sugary drinks for La Croix. I agree the beverages do add up! I had to give up my caramel macchiato!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I avoid drinking calories, just never seems worth it. Liking coffee and tea black is helpful in this regard.

If I still drank wine I'm sure I'd fit it in as an alternative to dessert on occasion, though. You just have to be sure the calories are worth it to you.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of an alcohol drinker but I do like to have a few drinks every once in awhile. I moved to lower calorie options. Sugar free mixers with vodka or tequila usually fit into my calories.

Maybe save some calories during the week for weekend drinking.

The coffee....maybe start decreasing the amount of creamer you use until it fits better in your day. I can't stand creamers in mine now and instead go for quality coffee beans.

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am with weaning off of the coffee additives. I drink my coffee at home like I like it, and now at work I drink it black (they make it so weak it is doable). But in my experience alcohol makes me retain water for a few days after. So you may be seeing this.
  • nhenryoliver
    nhenryoliver Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Agree re lower calorie options. I drink a lot of gin and slimline tonic. I also limit how many posh coffees I drink. Cup morning and Eve with sugar at the most. Black coffee, peppermint tea or water are my daily choices. Good luck!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I gradually cut back on the amount of half n half in my coffee so that I only spend about 40 calories on coffee a day. However....I will totally give up dessert or a night snack for a glass of wine or a nice craft beer. I also have a stupid rule about booze. I try to only have a drink on days that I hit the gym for at least 40 minutes. Mostly, that is because those are the days I have the calories for a drink. It's worth it to me to run a couple of miles to have a nice adult beverage.
  • miss_e81
    miss_e81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've switched up a few things when I realized how many calories I was drinking.
    I quit alcohol drinking during the week.
    When I do drink alcohol on the weekends I've switched to Vodka and diet cranberry juice, low carb and low cal
    Changed my coffee creamer to Walden Farms brand, which is zero cal, zero carb.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    I switched to vodka, soda, and lime(90 calories) and switched from sugary drinks for La Croix. I agree the beverages do add up! I had to give up my caramel macchiato!

Yep - when I started with MFP a year or so ago, I logged a Starbucks coffee a few times a week - ridiculous - I could have added another substantial mid-day snack for the calories in that coffee! I do drink coffee (my own) and a few beers on the weekend. It's all about balance for me. I don't deny myself anything.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I wont give up my one medium double double coffee in the morning or my every now and then glass of wine lol.. I just add it to my log though. everything gets counted. No exceptions.

Everything else is water.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't drink many calories but MAN I love a nice cup of coffee with some creamer in it :'( Can't drink it black, and I've tried. Need to find a lower cal creamer, though.

I gave up non-diet soda and I hardly ever drink milk, which I also love. Can't quit the java, though. I made my peace with it and just cut a few calories a day elsewhere to compensate
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any alcohol in 14 months. When I stopped drinking I found that my skin was clearer and brighter, my hair shinier, my face and hands weren't as bloated, and my eyes were much clearer and I looked more alive! I kept going and here I am! Every time I get the urge to have a drink (any drink with calories) I think of food I'd rather have and also how much better I feel without it. Just my two cents!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Drinking some calories isn't a bad habit; being ignorant of how many calories are in a (say) margarita is definitely a bad practice if you are counting calories. If you are seeing a sudden weight spike after the weekend, it might be water weight; since it takes 3500 cals to create a lb of flesh, that would be a very interesting "few cocktails" but regardless, knowledge and tracking are important.

If making my own cocktails, I avoid the nasty sugary mixes and hand-squeeze my own limes or lemons and use just a little agave nectar in place of simple syrup. When I am out, I have found that switching to wine or a good craft beer helps me to better track my calories, then I make up for it the next day with a brisk half hour walk per drink or just take the extra 150 calorie hit; I'm trying to eat at an 800 calorie deficit but any deficit will help lose weight. White Russians are another story entirely; they will definitely give you a Big Lebowski physique. Bloody Marys are a godsend, especially if they come with celery, spring onions, pickles, olives, dilly beans and/or lemons and limes. Mmm...micronutrients.

I am likewise unwilling to give up heavy cream in my coffee or abstain from cappuccinos; I just make sure to accommodate for it in my diet and exercise plan. Again, it's just a brisk half-hour walk, or half-hour on the elliptical machine for two drinks.
  • miss_e81
    miss_e81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't drink many calories but MAN I love a nice cup of coffee with some creamer in it :'( Can't drink it black, and I've tried. Need to find a lower cal creamer, though.

I gave up non-diet soda and I hardly ever drink milk, which I also love. Can't quit the java, though. I made my peace with it and just cut a few calories a day elsewhere to compensate

Try Walden Farms coffee creamers. I buy mine off Vitacost.com I also do their salad dressings and mayo, etc. I'd addicted to their products as a substitute for other sauces.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    miss_e81 wrote: »

Try Walden Farms coffee creamers. I buy mine off Vitacost.com I also do their salad dressings and mayo, etc. I'd addicted to their products as a substitute for other sauces.

Thanks I'll give it a try!
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    when i decided to really get serious this year, i stopped drinking everything but almond milk and water. I love love love chocolate milk but have not had a taste in almost two months. this month I have had some diet soda, just so i don't feel deprived. i would much rather eat my calories than drink them. i do not drink coffee to start with, so i do not know that struggle.
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    miss_e81 wrote: »

Zero calorie? What's in them? Plaster?
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    As for coffee, I can't stand black, unsweetened coffee. I switched from flavored creamer to fat free half & half, which is only 10 calories per Tbsp (I believe but the label isn't in front of me). For sweet, a packet of Splenda with fiber. This makes my coffee less than 25 calories per cup, vs. 70+ calories I was consuming per cup before. Is it as tasty as coffee with flavored creamer? No, but it's pretty good and so worth losing the extra calories. I'm also on the hunt for flavored Splenda, which I've heard exists.

As for alcohol, I've cut back to no more than 2-3 alcoholic beverages per week. That's not a strict number, but I stopped having a beer or a glass of wine every night after work. If I'm out, it's vodka soda with lime. If I'm home it's usually a glass of wine or light beer. I have to resist the second glass of wine or second beer, but it's doable. If I really want that second, I'll have it if it fits into my calorie goal for the day/week. This past week I did have a margarita at an event, which was a ton of calories. But before I got it, I made sure it fit. Over the last few months, because I've been drinking a lot less and losing weight, I've noticed my alcohol tolerance has decreased quite a bit, so that's a bonus and makes it even easier to drink less.

Other liquid calories I've given up completely and I don't miss any of it. It really wasn't as difficult as I thought to curb intake of liquid calories, just a matter of being mindful and cognizant of your goals. My goals are more important than that drink, and I always try to remember that.
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    In addition to drinking water most of the time, I also drink coffee and sometimes an alcoholic beverage or two.

I am really just astounded at how easy it is to exceed your allotment with liquid calories.

The Coffee Mate I put in my coffee every morning adds up to 120 calories. I could eat another egg if I could give it up! And probably half a piece of toast.

Words of encouragement? Clearly the pattern of drinking your calories is a significant contributor to weight problems in this country!

Before the new year started, drinking attributed to a HUGE amount of my weight gain. My husband and I love craft beers, and we'd drink one a night and on the weekends, at least 3-4 a night. I went gluten-free (due to my autoimmune disease) in January, so I rid myself entirely of beer (this was not an easy task), and I now drink at the very most 1 to 2 glasses of wine/week.
    It seems like a hard habit to break in the beginning, especially during social situations, but seeing how much better I feel each morning b/c I'm not hungover or bloated, and seeing the weight come (20 lbs down since January) off is a huge motivator.
    Coffee with loads of creamer is my second vice, and kicked that with no problem. I just don't buy creamer, if it's not in my house, then I won't use it! :)
    Good luck to you!