Bad habit: Drinking your calories

Replies

• RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    I love milk. Wholesome delicious cold milk.

Discovering I was drinking about 600 calories a day in milk was delightful. Now I limit myself to 1. If I get to budget in calories for pizza I have to budget in calories for a glass of 2% too. Pizza isn't pizza without milk.

Haha my entire family thinks I am disgusting for drinking milk with pizza. It shouldn't be good together but it is B)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2016
    I drink my coffee black or with just a splash of 1%. I don't drink sodas anymore really, except for when I'm camping or something like that...a good sarsaparilla while camping is a long tradition in my family as my dad didn't drink beer but he drank root beer...and sarsaparilla was the best. I do drink alcohol, but only on the weekend and I don't enjoy as much craft brew as I used to. The only weight issues I've seen after a weekend of a few beverages is a little water retention which I don't particularly worry about. I used to drink a couple pints of milk per day, and don't really do that anymore either...I enjoy a glass of milk maybe once or twice per month.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I find that cutting calories in beverages helps me to stay within my calorie allotment, too. I use the powdered Coffee-Mate, it's lower calorie than the liquid, and cut out a lot of alcohol. (which was hard!) Now I only drink if I'm planning on going out and getting drunk...no more glass of wine here and there.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I drink my coffee black or with just a splash of 1%. I don't drink sodas anymore really, except for when I'm camping or something like that...a good sarsaparilla while camping is a long tradition in my family as my dad didn't drink beer but he drank root beer...and sarsaparilla was the best. I do drink alcohol, but only on the weekend and I don't enjoy as much craft brew as I used to. The only weight issues I've seen after a weekend of a few beverages is a little water retention which I don't particularly worry about. I used to drink a couple pints of milk per day, and don't really do that anymore either...I enjoy a glass of milk maybe once or twice per month.

ohhhh ... milk. I love milk. I think of it as a solid food though - so I do drink a glass a few times a week. (I could gulp it like water.) I am careful with my portion and really appreciate it now -
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Discovering I was drinking about 600 calories a day in milk was delightful. Now I limit myself to 1. If I get to budget in calories for pizza I have to budget in calories for a glass of 2% too. Pizza isn't pizza without milk beer.

FIFY

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Drinking doesn't satiate like eating does. It's more satisfying to your mind for you o drink the milk, eat the banana, etc; than drink it. Also, I would rather eat a "cheeseburger" than drink a Pepsi, wine, beer or cocktail.
  • bryannapena398
    bryannapena398 Posts: 13 Member
    I sure do miss my mixed drinks...lol
    However, since I'm so awful at drinking water I started buying those crystal light packs. Only 5 calories for half of one. The flavor I'm liking is Peach Mango. It's not nearly as good as a real drink, but it's been a big help for me cutting out sugar drinks.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    I went into my usual campus coffee shop today and they asked if I'd had a busy day as they usually see me earlier. Drinking calories, guilty as charged!

I have switched to diet coke as it tastes the same to me but has nowhere near as many calories, the same with Fanta. My usual hot chocolate has been switched out for the soya version. I initially picked soya milk over full fat dairy for the lower calories but found it actually tastes better! I went for a smaller size and that got me from 422 calories per cup down to 160 which is a HUGE difference, especially as I have a few per day.

I've also developed a liking for one of their coffees too, which is only 90 cals. Still a few but it used to be 422 per drink. I'm aiming to only have one hot chocolate and one coffee per day then work from there.

422 calories per cup, several times a day.....no wonder I'm overweight.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member

Discovering I was drinking about 600 calories a day in milk was delightful. Now I limit myself to 1. If I get to budget in calories for pizza I have to budget in calories for a glass of 2% too. Pizza isn't pizza without milk.

Haha my entire family thinks I am disgusting for drinking milk with pizza. It shouldn't be good together but it is B)

I love milk too! Whilst pregnant with my twins I was getting through about 4/5 pints a day
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    when i decided to really get serious this year, i stopped drinking everything but almond milk and water. I love love love chocolate milk but have not had a taste in almost two months. this month I have had some diet soda, just so i don't feel deprived. i would much rather eat my calories than drink them. i do not drink coffee to start with, so i do not know that struggle.

Have you looked into cashew milk? We drink cashew milk and there is a chocolate version, though I've never checked the calories in it.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited February 2016
    I used to drink coffee...with LOTS of creamer and splenda. Prob 250 cals of creamer. Then i realized i really dont like coffee....i like the stuff i put in it.

I started putting flavored creamers into black tea. You can taste the creamers MUCH better, so i only need 1tbspn which is ~ 35 cals and easy to fit in.
  • kitn0621
    kitn0621 Posts: 6 Member
    I did the same as far as my coffee goes. I would use the french vanilla creamer and it would cost me over 100 calories...I've since purchased the sugar free and I use one stevia to sweeten it. helps me out that way to keep my coffee and not the calories. as far as alcohol...I gained most of my weight bc of this. I've since tried to make that a treat and limit it to a few a week or only for special celebrations. I also will try and stick to wine only; especially reds. Less sugar and so it's less calories. Idk if you like wine but if you do it's an option
  • I drink quite a lot of herbal / fruit teas, but I suppose they're a bit of an acquired taste. I drink some tea / coffee with milk, never tried creamer but never looked for it to be fair! I like the coffee syrups, but you can get sugar free versions of those and they taste reasonable. Not much of an alcohol drinker and tend to drink my water plain. I'm quite capable of eating my food calories though, so if I drank them too I would be a fair bit larger!! :neutral:
  • cmorris30316
    cmorris30316 Posts: 76 Member
    I'm a wine drinker and decided to give it up for February. I've lost weight for the first time and I truly believe it is the wine because I never ate that bad. I am losing slowly though so I need to step up exercise. I am worried about February ending so I might stick with the Jo drinking for awhile ;)
  • I know it's not good for you but I drink diet soda. I can't give up soda but at least that way my craving is filled. I personally HATE pepsi so I only drink coke if I can help it. Also, any zero calorie drink is my best friend.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    In addition to drinking water most of the time, I also drink coffee and sometimes an alcoholic beverage or two.

I am really just astounded at how easy it is to exceed your allotment with liquid calories.

After a weekend of having a few cocktails my weight goes up.

The Coffee Mate I put in my coffee every morning adds up to 120 calories. I could eat another egg if I could give it up! And probably half a piece of toast.

Words of encouragement? Clearly the pattern of drinking your calories is a significant contributor to weight problems in this country!

Black coffee is 0 cals - add skim milk for 30 cals and a little Stevia for a low call option. Alcohol is my weakness. I opt for high alc content and low cal options - so I avoid beers/frozen drinks/etc.
  • brekober
    brekober Posts: 40 Member
    I love coffee with creamer. Dutch bros is my favorite! I usually allow myself to drink one once a week or so. The rest of the time I mix my bananas cream protein with coffee in the morning for my breakfast.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I drank calories every day while losing 30 lbs of excess weight. Wine, almond/soy milk, V8 mostly. The one consumed most often was wine. I have a glass or two with dinner most every night.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I pretty much stopped drinking calories when I started MFP over 3 years ago! Haven't had juice or soda since... I had a couple beers but haven't had any in 2 years now, I'd rather use my calories on dessert.

I very occasionally have a latte or cappuccino but that's pretty much it.. a year ago I had chocolate at a local place that makes an amazing one but it was honestly way too sweet for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I drank calories every day while losing 30 lbs of excess weight. Wine, almond/soy milk, V8 mostly. The one consumed most often was wine. I have a glass or two with dinner most every night.

This is me. I had wine whilst losing. I have had wine since. That said, after 14 years maintaining, there is menopausal creep, and I suspect I'll have to give up the beloved wine to make the scale go down the 5 vanity pounds.