Q re: weights & weight/fat loss

Options
Okay, so I know everybody's body is different, so I'm really just looking for general information on this (and I also know there are many different viewpoints, and that's fine) -

My question - about how long into weight lifting/adding serious weights to your exercise routine does it take to start seeing fat loss/inches lost?

I used to do more cardio & some weights - the whole old school "lower weights/higher reps" thing. But with all the new information out there about how important strength training is for women, and how it can increase your metabolism for a longer period of time post-workout & boost fat loss, I figured it was worth giving a try - I'd love to also be more well-toned, but that is a secondary benefit that (I'm hoping) will come with it.

I've started Strong Lifts, as well as my regular free weights at higher weights/lower reps, and some machines at higher weights instead of staying at a lower weight/higher reps. I also do cardio before & after, and I do this about 3-4x/week, as well as the occasional J Michaels video at home.

I definitely am MUCH stronger - I'm 20-30lbs heavier on weights than I've ever been in the past - and it feels amazing - but I've lost maybe 2 lbs in the last month, and my measurements have barely moved.

The measurements not changing much is the most discouraging part - I'm learning to not rely on the scale - but I would think that after over a month of this, I'd see a bit more of a shift.

So - thoughts? (I know you'll ask about diet - mostly lean meats, fruits & veggies, yogurt, some cheese, protein shakes - my carbs are in the yogurt, , protein shake, cereal, granola, fruit area. MFP has me at 1380cal/day, which I usually come close to, and I eat back about half of what I burn on exercise days, sometimes more. So maybe I'm not eating enough? SUCH a hard concept to grab onto, I know how it works, but I've NEVER lost w/o being under on calories in my life, I have NO metabolism working for me, it's been proven through labs and vital signs at the dr. :/ )

Thanks for any & all input!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Try to disassociate X or Y exercise for weight loss and associate X or Y exercise for their intended fitness purpose. Lifting weights is great exercise and it is important for maintaining muscle mass...for which you will look much better when fat is shed...but in and of itself it isn't going to result in losing fat...you can lift all the weights you want and do all of the cardio you want, but if your diet isn't in line with your fat/weight loss goals, it doesn't matter.

Over the winter I put on about 8 Lbs...I was still lifting and riding my bike (albeit not as much as when it's nice)...but I was hitting the weight room hard...I gained weight though and put a few inches around my waist because...well, I was eating too much.

There is re-comp that can happen with lifting too, where you don't really lose much on the scale, but over time you lose inches and get leaner...this isn't a month and a half process though...it's like years...which is why most people just opt to suck it up and cut the fat by eating a little less.

• drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    weight and fat loss comes down to diet. if you are not losing size or lbs as fast as you would like, eat less.

lifting is for gaining strength and maintaining or building muscle mass. which is doubly important when you are eating at a calorie defecit. but to lose weight, you have to actually be eating a calorie defecit.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You are likely replacing fat with muscle and since muscle weighs more you may not notice much of a difference on the scale or even measurements. Body composition is complicated and a scale isn't enough. I assume you can see a difference when you look at yourself in the mirror. I haven't looked at your diet but maybe you aren't leaning up as quickly as you would like.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    You are likely replacing fat with muscle and since muscle weighs more you may not notice much of a difference on the scale or even measurements. Body composition is complicated and a scale isn't enough. I assume you can see a difference when you look at yourself in the mirror. I haven't looked at your diet but maybe you aren't leaning up as quickly as you would like.

having been there, you are fooling yourself. muscle grows at a much slower rate than fat can be lost, and that is doubly so if you are female (less testosterone --> slower muscle tissue growth).

at most you can expect to grow 1/2lb of muscle per week as a young, untrained male which is a best case scenario. (if you are older, already have more muscle mass, or are female, growth is slower). whereas you can lose 1.5lbs of fat per week fairly comfortably.

if your goal is to get leaner, and your weight is staying the same, unless you are seriously noticing good aesthetic changes in the mirror, you should scale back your eating.

also, OP stated her measurements are not changing which means... no fat is being lost.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    blytheny wrote: »
    Okay, so I know everybody's body is different, so I'm really just looking for general information on this (and I also know there are many different viewpoints, and that's fine) -

My question - about how long into weight lifting/adding serious weights to your exercise routine does it take to start seeing fat loss/inches lost?

As soon as i cut calories i notice weight loss within a few weeks. It has nothing to do with how much or how serious my weight lifting is.
  • blytheny
    blytheny Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the replies... I guess I'm a bit confused about the consistent comments to eat less, as every other forum I've been on says that if you eat at too much of a deficit, you'll go into starvation mode and lose nothing. (within reason, obviously if you starve yourself, eventually you'll lose, but... that's not what I'm trying to achieve. ;) )
    I eat what MFP says to eat to be at a 2lb/week loss... 1380 on days I don't exercise, and I eat back only about half of what I burn at the gym (maybe extra 200 cal on those days) My TDEE is about 2400 on non exercise days, add in exercise on those days - so I'm definitely eating at a deficit for the most part, esp if I add up the entire week and average it out. Do I splurge on occasion and have pasta or a beer? Yup... but not enough that it should really matter.
    So maybe I just need to give it time... it's only been about 6 weeks, and 4 of them with more weights, so I'll just try to be patient. Cardio just always gave me better/faster results on the scale, but that's not what I'm looking for this time, so I'll wait it out.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Any time you increase your exercise routine, it can take 4-6 weeks for any initial additional water retention to resolve. Give it a little more time.

How are you calculating your calories burned? Resistance exercise doesn't burn a ton of calories, and lots of the estimates for weight lifting can be on the high side.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to see a change when you've taxed your muscles more than usual. Muscles need water for recovery, so you tend to retain water more. This should balance out over time.
  • blytheny
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Any time you increase your exercise routine, it can take 4-6 weeks for any initial additional water retention to resolve. Give it a little more time.

How are you calculating your calories burned? Resistance exercise doesn't burn a ton of calories, and lots of the estimates for weight lifting can be on the high side.

I'm using MFP's estimate for strength training, although I usually enter a lower # than what they give me, as a friend who also uses MFP (and is much more into conditioning than I am) said what you said, that the #'s are often high.

Thanks!
  • blytheny
    Options
    It takes a while to see a change when you've taxed your muscles more than usual. Muscles need water for recovery, so you tend to retain water more. This should balance out over time.

Thanks! *makes note to drink more water* :)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting to a heavy lifting program. I wonder if you are 1 adding too much back for estimated calories and two measuring your intake correctly. Do you measure your macros or just calories? I don't "eat" back my exercise daily or let exercise change my calorie count for the day. My daily total is figured based on a certain amount of exercise weekly and then I just watch for results, but my calorie goal stays flat.

Try this calculator as an other opinion on how to break down your calories. https://legionathletics.com/how-many-calories-should-i-eat/
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I used to do more cardio & some weights - the whole old school "lower weights/higher reps" thing. But with all the new information out there about how important strength training is for women, and how it can increase your metabolism for a longer period of time post-workout & boost fat loss, I figured it was worth giving a try - I'd love to also be more well-toned, but that is a secondary benefit that (I'm hoping) will come with it.

I've started Strong Lifts, as well as my regular free weights at higher weights/lower reps, and some machines at higher weights instead of staying at a lower weight/higher reps. I also do cardio before & after, and I do this about 3-4x/week, as well as the occasional J Michaels video at home.

I definitely am MUCH stronger - I'm 20-30lbs heavier on weights than I've ever been in the past - and it feels amazing - but I've lost maybe 2 lbs in the last month, and my measurements have barely moved.

The measurements not changing much is the most discouraging part - I'm learning to not rely on the scale - but I would think that after over a month of this, I'd see a bit more of a shift.

So - thoughts? (I know you'll ask about diet - mostly lean meats, fruits & veggies, yogurt, some cheese, protein shakes - my carbs are in the yogurt, , protein shake, cereal, granola, fruit area. MFP has me at 1380cal/day, which I usually come close to, and I eat back about half of what I burn on exercise days, sometimes more. So maybe I'm not eating enough? SUCH a hard concept to grab onto, I know how it works, but I've NEVER lost w/o being under on calories in my life, I have NO metabolism working for me, it's been proven through labs and vital signs at the dr. :/ )

The "afterburn effect" of lifting weights is often highly overstated. Just because you burn more calories "for hours" after the workout doesn't mean that it's a lot of calories. And you likely don't burn as many calories while lifting.

Which is not to say that lifting weights is not helpful for losing weight/fat--it is and you are doing great on your program.

But if you aren't losing weight, it's more likely due to being in energy balance rather than "building muscle". I do suspect you are overestimating your TDEE a bit.
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I currently weigh similar to the weight I started with when I was overweight but my lean muscle is much higher and my bodyfat percentage is much lower (and this is me not dieting at the moment, because when I want to I can shred it down more). patience is key here, it took me half a year to see a great amount of difference and about 2 years to completely change my composition. But it's addicting and you feel so good, it's worth it. Unless you're tiny, you're probably not eating enough :( I currently maintain weight at 2500 calories and am on a diet of 2000 at the moment, losing weight..but it took time and patience for this. Focus on healing that metabolism with healthy food, enough calories and macros to have energy to work out heavy, and time. Increase your cals gradually! Hit those macros!Good luck and Congrats on the strength increases!

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »

having been there, you are fooling yourself. muscle grows at a much slower rate than fat can be lost, and that is doubly so if you are female (less testosterone --> slower muscle tissue growth).

at most you can expect to grow 1/2lb of muscle per week as a young, untrained male which is a best case scenario. (if you are older, already have more muscle mass, or are female, growth is slower). whereas you can lose 1.5lbs of fat per week fairly comfortably.

if your goal is to get leaner, and your weight is staying the same, unless you are seriously noticing good aesthetic changes in the mirror, you should scale back your eating.

also, OP stated her measurements are not changing which means... no fat is being lost.

^ And that best case scenario assumes being in a caloric surplus, not a deficit.

'Newbie gains' can be made while training in a deficit, but they're limited. Slight muscle gain in a deficit is also possible for those who aren't already very lean (and aren't in too deep a deficit), as the body can draw from its own reserves - but the muscle gain won't overtake the fat loss and you won't build appreciable amounts. Strength gain while training in a deficit is due to neuromuscular adaptation, especially for those new to it. Most people who continue to train past newbie stage while in a deficit will experience a plateau or some degree of strength loss as time goes on.

The most likely scenario (as far as the OP) is water/glycogen retention masking the fat/weight loss. And I wouldn't expect to see hugely significant results in a month. Despite all the hype touted by "30 days to better abs!", "30-day shred" etc. programs, visible changes in one's body take time, patience and perseverance.

I have NO metabolism working for me, it's been proven through labs and vital signs at the dr. :/ )

I know the above was hyperbole, so I'll respond with hyperbole - if you have NO metabolism or vital signs, you're dead. :) Dead people can't strength train or post on forums, so you obviously have a metabolism working for you. Keep at it and you'll see results.
  • LoriA6724
    LoriA6724 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    OP, I came here looking for an answer to the same question you have. I appreciate all of the comments you've received. It's confusing when you are trying to switch from something you've always done. Cardio has always worked for me in the past, but I want to be strong, not skinny fat. That's what I was before I gained this weight.
  • blytheny
    Options
    Congrats on getting to a heavy lifting program. I wonder if you are 1 adding too much back for estimated calories and two measuring your intake correctly. Do you measure your macros or just calories? I don't "eat" back my exercise daily or let exercise change my calorie count for the day. My daily total is figured based on a certain amount of exercise weekly and then I just watch for results, but my calorie goal stays flat.

Try this calculator as an other opinion on how to break down your calories. https://legionathletics.com/how-many-calories-should-i-eat/

Thanks! I'm honestly just learning to watch macros, so that's a new thing over the last week or two... primarily have watched carbs/proteins/calories, should be watching fat but really haven't 'til recently. I'll check that link out!
  • blytheny
    Options
    ldesomer wrote: »
    OP, I came here looking for an answer to the same question you have. I appreciate all of the comments you've received. It's confusing when you are trying to switch from something you've always done. Cardio has always worked for me in the past, but I want to be strong, not skinny fat. That's what I was before I gained this weight.

Well then, hopefully this all will help both of us, and hopefully others - you're right, it's all a new way of looking at things! Glad to be of help, even if it's by bringing other people's advice to you!
  • blytheny
    Options
    VitaSh wrote: »
    I currently weigh similar to the weight I started with when I was overweight but my lean muscle is much higher and my bodyfat percentage is much lower (and this is me not dieting at the moment, because when I want to I can shred it down more). patience is key here, it took me half a year to see a great amount of difference and about 2 years to completely change my composition. But it's addicting and you feel so good, it's worth it. Unless you're tiny, you're probably not eating enough :( I currently maintain weight at 2500 calories and am on a diet of 2000 at the moment, losing weight..but it took time and patience for this. Focus on healing that metabolism with healthy food, enough calories and macros to have energy to work out heavy, and time. Increase your cals gradually! Hit those macros!Good luck and Congrats on the strength increases!

Thanks so much - even in 6 weeks, I feel so much stronger, and I see it in my daily life - I'm a nurse, so I do a LOT of walking, stairs - and it's so much easier, lifting things is so much easier, just a lot is. So I know I'm getting stronger - and that's part of what I want. Thanks for the advice to be patient - NOT an attribute of mine -- but I'll stick with it!
  • blytheny
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

The "afterburn effect" of lifting weights is often highly overstated. Just because you burn more calories "for hours" after the workout doesn't mean that it's a lot of calories. And you likely don't burn as many calories while lifting.

Which is not to say that lifting weights is not helpful for losing weight/fat--it is and you are doing great on your program.

But if you aren't losing weight, it's more likely due to being in energy balance rather than "building muscle". I do suspect you are overestimating your TDEE a bit.

I truly may be, when it comes to the TDEE... it's all computer generated, vs working with a PT or anyone like that... I'm hoping to find a way to get a bit closer to knowing, haven't invested in a FitBit or anything like that, but may look into it. Thanks!
  • blytheny
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    drachfit wrote: »

^ And that best case scenario assumes being in a caloric surplus, not a deficit.

'Newbie gains' can be made while training in a deficit, but they're limited. Slight muscle gain in a deficit is also possible for those who aren't already very lean (and aren't in too deep a deficit), as the body can draw from its own reserves - but the muscle gain won't overtake the fat loss and you won't build appreciable amounts. Strength gain while training in a deficit is due to neuromuscular adaptation, especially for those new to it. Most people who continue to train past newbie stage while in a deficit will experience a plateau or some degree of strength loss as time goes on.

The most likely scenario (as far as the OP) is water/glycogen retention masking the fat/weight loss. And I wouldn't expect to see hugely significant results in a month. Despite all the hype touted by "30 days to better abs!", "30-day shred" etc. programs, visible changes in one's body take time, patience and perseverance.

I have NO metabolism working for me, it's been proven through labs and vital signs at the dr. :/ )

I know the above was hyperbole, so I'll respond with hyperbole - if you have NO metabolism or vital signs, you're dead. :) Dead people can't strength train or post on forums, so you obviously have a metabolism working for you. Keep at it and you'll see results.

Thanks for the more detailed response, I appreciate it. And you're right... I DO have a metabolism ;) just a very slow, "happy to do everything at a slow rate" one. Even when I'm not fit, my BP and pulse are very low, like marathon runner low, and my temp is always low, as well... so my biggest hope in all this is that I actually reset it and force it to work a bit harder!