Do you log on vacations?

Options

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Nope. I always gain a few pounds after coming back from vaca. But I just get back to routine and lose it again afterwards.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I log when I eat out. If they don't have a nutritional menu, I don't eat there. Even on vacation. Because after the vacation is over, it's back to my regularly scheduled program.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I lose my phone, my computer, my lap top and all other devises, except for my e-reader only kindle. What part of "on vacation" don't we get?

So, reading an electronic book on a limited purpose computer is vacation but reading a website on your cell phone isn't? Using a cell phone to look up restaurants, find directions and communicate with others in your party isn't vacation?

I'd love to hear the logic explaining this.

My read only kindle don't ring. Like I should explain myself to you.

And my phone does, doesn't mean I have to answer it as there is this amazing technology called voice mail, you may have heard of it.

If you don't want to explain your judgmental attitude, then don't, but don't judge people for enjoying their vacation how they please either.

As I said, enjoying food and logging are not mutually exclusive. Logging never is and never will be 100% accurate, do it if you want, don't if you don't want. Don't be an old person scolding younger people that item X (that you didn't have in your youth) is what is wrong with the world today.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I log when I eat out. If they don't have a nutritional menu, I don't eat there. Even on vacation. Because after the vacation is over, it's back to my regularly scheduled program.

Don't you feel like you're missing out on all of the awesome local food joints? When I go on vacation, I try NOT to eat somewhere that I can eat at home!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Don't you feel like you're missing out on all of the awesome local food joints? When I go on vacation, I try NOT to eat somewhere that I can eat at home!

For real. What's the point of travel if you don't partake in some of the delicious local eats? Sounds miserable.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options

No I don't feel like I'm missing out. I would feel more comfortable eating unknowns if I was already at my goal weight. Right now, I don't want to unknowingly eat like 1600 calories in a single meal. Lol.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

For real. What's the point of travel if you don't partake in some of the delicious local eats? Sounds miserable.

Yeah right! I couldn't begin to tell you what I ate for breakfast on my last trip to Punta Cana but I can tell you what I DIDN'T eat... eggs bacon cereal etc.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes I do
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Taking a short trip in a couple of weeks and I have planned my meals already. I'm going to pre-log and try to stick with it but not stress about it.
    I'm not going on the trip to try tons of new restaurants though but to do other activities like hiking trails, no phone, no tv, no internet so that is a different vacation experience than a theme park or cruise. Most of the meals will still be prepared by me because I am staying at a cabin with a kitchen instead of an urban hotel.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I try and log on vacation yes, I actually enjoy logging, it's not a chore or bothersome for me.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Usually my vacations don't have cell service so I can't log. It's awful because when I stop logging my binge eating disorder comes back full swing and I never feel full and consume 5k calories a day. After all my vacations this last year it's taken me at least a month to get back on track.
  • rgbmore
    rgbmore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I went to Disney last week, walked a TON and carried my daughter (~25 lbs) for a lot of it. Three days of Disney Vacation = 5 lbs gained. It's coming back off, and I don't entirely regret it, but if I had logged it I would've probably used more self control.
    But with hand dipped corn dogs, mickey mouse beignets, churros, turkey legs, ice cream cones, those clam chowder sourdough bowls...mmmm it was worth it since it's our only big vacation.
    (Pineapple dole whips are only 90 calories and a much better option than the ice cream cones, lol)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, if I'm in an area with a connection (mobile or Wi-Fi) and I'm not stressing about data or battery. So I might login once or twice per day and input all of my food then. The Fitbit will update when it connects. I don't usually worry about restricting calories, but just logging them.

No, if I'm in an area without a good connection or if my battery is dead. For example, if I go spend a week hiking in an area without a reliable mobile signal, I don't log. But then in such a circumstance, I know how much I ate because, like most backpackers, I am meticulous about knowing exactly how much food I packed and what I have left at the end. These are usually deficit days regardless because when I hike 10-20 miles with a 40 lb. pack, eating 3K-4K calories still keeps me at a deficit.
  • justbreathesrw28
    justbreathesrw28 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What a great thread as I leave on Friday for a 2 1/2 week vacation to California and Utah. I've been logging in exercising daily now for 35 days and have lost 13 pounds and really want to at least maintain that loss while I'm gone. Logging is not a chore bother some so I do plan on logging hoping it will help me keep on track and stay where I want to be!!

I really appreciate everyone's comments and feedback I too am looking forward to visiting some of the unique local food places as is a first time trip for me to this area!!
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Not suuuuper accurate but I try to log most of my stuff even when on vacation. And for the record I ate steak, tacos, ice cream, pizza, Philly cheese steaks, chips, cookies, chocolate cake, etc on my last vacation (last week) and dropped .6 pounds. Soooo no, don't feel like I missed anything lol.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    When I went on vacation a couple weeks ago, I ate what I wanted, but I still logged it all using my MFP phone app.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

IMO, one of the best parts of a vacation is trying local fare..stuff I can't really get at home, etc. No way in friggin' hell I'm going on vacation and eating at some piece of *kitten* chain restaurant I can eat at home (which I don't at home either...because chain restaurants suck *kitten*). Not to mention travel to exotic locals for which you're likely to not even have cell service, let along some crap chain with nutritional information posted on it's website.

I haven't logged anything in almost three years...even when I did, I couldn't imagine being this much of a slave to this diary thing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

IMO, one of the best parts of a vacation is trying local fare..stuff I can't really get at home, etc. No way in friggin' hell I'm going on vacation and eating at some piece of *kitten* chain restaurant I can eat at home (which I don't at home either...because chain restaurants suck *kitten*). Not to mention travel to exotic locals for which you're likely to not even have cell service, let along some crap chain with nutritional information posted on it's website.

I haven't logged anything in almost three years...even when I did, I couldn't imagine being this much of a slave to this diary thing.

Some of us must log meticulously to ensure we are within our calorie goal and to understand when we are in a plateau vs. when we are over-eating.

As far as eating locally, I have that challenge when eating out anyway because there are mostly locally owned restaurants in my rural community. In the U.S., restaurants with fewer than 10 locations are not required to provide nutrition facts. That challenge exists whether on vacation or not. Having said that, there is definitely an appeal to eat at a small restaurant when traveling. That restaurant will not necessarily be like any where I live. Then there is also, for me, an appeal to eat at chains because they just don't exist nearby. When I'm traveling out east, I stop at Dunkin' Donuts a lot because I rarely am near one of those. When I'm in the southwest, I might stop by Del Taco. Other areas might be Hardee's/Carl's Jr., Popeye's Chicken, etc. For sit-down chains, Chili's and TGI Friday's are establishments I've not visited for years. For me, I can eat at a chain while on vacation and consider it something I can only do on vacation anyway.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I generally don't. Though I can understand why some people would choose to log while on vacation.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Depends. In March, we're going to an all-inclusive for our honeymoon, for eight days. I'll probably never take a trip like this again--at least not in the next 5-10 years. I've kept my weight off for a couple of years, and am like 6 pounds from goal weight. So I'm not going to log, and assume I'll gain 5-10 pounds. I'm fine with it, and it's not gonna freak me out when I come back and I'm heavier.

But I don't do that every vacation. Our last vacation was in Chicago, and I logged everything, because it wasn't so special.

Eta: Of course, it's different for everyone--I've been at this a long time and stuff doesn't throw me now the way it might have when I was newer to all of this. So find what works best for you!