Do you log on vacations?

Options

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 pounds before going on a trip for a week and despite kind of paying attention, I gained most of it back. Probably because my body wasn't used to my thinner self yet. It took a lot of work to get it back off, then continue on with losing a total of 35 pounds.

On my next two vacations I'll be in maintenance. I plan on keeping an eye on what I eat, but definitely indulge more. A filet mignon doesn't have a huge amount of calories, paired with steamed veggies, I'll totally have room for some dessert. :)
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. You be surprised how much you eat and how little you walk. All those restaurants add up. I don't always stay within my daily bounds but logging it right after the meal (when possible)keeps me honest; and every once in a while I actually think a meal will be more caloric than it actually is. Besides, it gives you a fair shot at hitting the gym if you feel like you need to, or take a long walk on the beach (even better, IMO).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I didn't log when I went to Disney 2.5 years ago but I wish I had, because I lost my streak... but to be fair, I really had no idea how many calories were in anything and just didn't want to bother... I've logged everything during my two vacations since.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I log when I eat out. If they don't have a nutritional menu, I don't eat there. Even on vacation. Because after the vacation is over, it's back to my regularly scheduled program.

IMO, one of the best parts of a vacation is trying local fare..stuff I can't really get at home, etc. No way in friggin' hell I'm going on vacation and eating at some piece of *kitten* chain restaurant I can eat at home (which I don't at home either...because chain restaurants suck *kitten*). Not to mention travel to exotic locals for which you're likely to not even have cell service, let along some crap chain with nutritional information posted on it's website.

I haven't logged anything in almost three years...even when I did, I couldn't imagine being this much of a slave to this diary thing.

Some of us must log meticulously to ensure we are within our calorie goal and to understand when we are in a plateau vs. when we are over-eating.

As far as eating locally, I have that challenge when eating out anyway because there are mostly locally owned restaurants in my rural community. In the U.S., restaurants with fewer than 10 locations are not required to provide nutrition facts. That challenge exists whether on vacation or not. Having said that, there is definitely an appeal to eat at a small restaurant when traveling. That restaurant will not necessarily be like any where I live. Then there is also, for me, an appeal to eat at chains because they just don't exist nearby. When I'm traveling out east, I stop at Dunkin' Donuts a lot because I rarely am near one of those. When I'm in the southwest, I might stop by Del Taco. Other areas might be Hardee's/Carl's Jr., Popeye's Chicken, etc. For sit-down chains, Chili's and TGI Friday's are establishments I've not visited for years. For me, I can eat at a chain while on vacation and consider it something I can only do on vacation anyway.

I logged meticulously too...the vast majority of the time...I never saw a weeks long vacation as being terribly material to the bigger picture.

Also, if you're traveling to the SW and eating Del Taco, you're doing it wrong...it only vaguely resembles the actual local cuisine here.
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I lose my phone, my computer, my lap top and all other devises, except for my e-reader only kindle. What part of "on vacation" don't we get?

So, reading an electronic book on a limited purpose computer is vacation but reading a website on your cell phone isn't? Using a cell phone to look up restaurants, find directions and communicate with others in your party isn't vacation?

I'd love to hear the logic explaining this.

My read only kindle don't ring. Like I should explain myself to you.

And my phone does, doesn't mean I have to answer it as there is this amazing technology called voice mail, you may have heard of it.

If you don't want to explain your judgmental attitude, then don't, but don't judge people for enjoying their vacation how they please either.

As I said, enjoying food and logging are not mutually exclusive. Logging never is and never will be 100% accurate, do it if you want, don't if you don't want. Don't be an old person scolding younger people that item X (that you didn't have in your youth) is what is wrong with the world today.

You're being kind of judgmental yourself, and this is coming from someone in their 20's.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Guesstimate what you are unsure of (eating out, etc.) along with exercise. I will be traveling overseas to Croatia in a couple of months and I'm already stressing about being unable to log while I'm there!
  • crb426
    Options
    As far as not knowing what's in the "local" cuisine... Come on people. You can take your best guess based on similar items from chain restaurants. You could even probably ask for an ingredient list and figure it out on your own, at least close enough for vacation calorie counting. Or choose things you know are generally lower in calories like grilled fish and vegetables.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    As far as not knowing what's in the "local" cuisine... Come on people. You can take your best guess based on similar items from chain restaurants. You could even probably ask for an ingredient list and figure it out on your own, at least close enough for vacation calorie counting. Or choose things you know are generally lower in calories like grilled fish and vegetables.

When I was in Vietnam and Cambodia and you are eating from street vendors with ingredients we can't even get back home then logging was fruitless. Many of the places I choose to travel too do not lend itself to logging so I opt to just enjoy the vacation and get back to it upon my return. When travelling in places like North America and Europe it is easier and then I might consider looking up items to have an idea.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    thebuz wrote: »

When I was in Vietnam and Cambodia and you are eating from street vendors with ingredients we can't even get back home then logging was fruitless. Many of the places I choose to travel too do not lend itself to logging so I opt to just enjoy the vacation and get back to it upon my return. When travelling in places like North America and Europe it is easier and then I might consider looking up items to have an idea.

I'm pretty sure you can figure out what is a lean protein...what is a grain...what is a starch...what is fat, etc...you don't have to know the exact food to get a good estimate of what you're actually eating.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    cinco-gif-2.gif

Heck no! On vacation I eat whatever I want, I don't count calories, and I workout like usual.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure you can figure out what is a lean protein...what is a grain...what is a starch...what is fat, etc...you don't have to know the exact food to get a good estimate of what you're actually eating.

You must have mad skills if you can figure out exactly what's in a dish with 10+ ingredients. I sure can't.
  • thebuz
    Options

I could for some of the more common style dishes like lemongrass chicken etc however we tried many foods that we couldn't. Meh..... I lost weight on the trip and loved all the new food we tried so worked for me.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I don't "log" per se...but i'm so used to generally what in things, and how my stomach/body should feel when it's slightly restricted from full calories, that I know when to stop. Eat slowly, eat kid's portions. If it feels like a hassle, don't do it. If it feels nerve-wracking NOT to log, go ahead and do it. There's no right or wrong answer here, except what's right for you.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I went on a big 3 week vacation last summer when I was still fairly new to logging. I set my calories to maintain and did my best to log, even though I realized it was often a wild guess. It did help me realize some of the good and bad choices out there. I also found that if I was eating something I'd had before, I could log even without cell or wifi service. I was surprised at that.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. My vacations are 75% about food and there's no way in hell I'm going to stay at (or under) maintenance. I usually end up "gaining" a few pounds, but a lot of it is water and the rest goes pretty easily over the course of a few weeks.

I get one vacation a year and I'm not going to spend that time thinking about macros/calories. They'll be waiting for me when I get home. I don't find logging to be a chore at home, but vacation is about letting loose for me. This year we're going to NYC for the first time. If I'm under 4000 calories on any given day, I'd be genuinely shocked. Give me alllllllll the food.

I stopped worrying about things like vacations and holidays over the past couple of years. I no longer worry about the scale or freak out about fluctuations. It'll all even out in the end as long as your macros are on point more often than not. And if I gain a few pounds, it's not the end of the world. I'll be back on track when I get home and the world isn't going to end because I packed on some vacation weight. Long game, baby.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

You must have mad skills if you can figure out exactly what's in a dish with 10+ ingredients. I sure can't.

At what point did I ever say "exactly"? I said you should be able to reasonably estimate......being able to judge a dishes estimated contents is pretty common sense IMO...and I cook a lot so I can kind of figure out various sauces and what not...I mean, not "exactly"...but I could give you a pretty good run down of what's in something with a taste or two...certainly I will be able to tell if it's a fatty sauce or a sugary sauce or both...I mean, probably won't be able to tell you "exactly" how many thyme leaves are in it or anything like that...not that it matters.

I haven't logged in over three years and haven't had an issue with "exactly"....ever. And even when I did log, I just didn't worry about it on vacation...I'm in *kitten* St. Maarten for *kitten* sakes...I'm not concerned with knowing "exactly" what's in the jerk sauce on my chicken.
  • crb426
    Options

I totally agree with how you approached that. I was speaking to the people who refuse to try the local food and choose the chain restaurants instead.
  • thebuz
    Options

I totally agree with how you approached that. I was speaking to the people who refuse to try the local food and choose the chain restaurants instead.

No worries. I knew what you meant. :-) I was just sharing my experience. Now I want to find some Vietnamese food.... LOL
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I "log" everyday on vacation, even if it's a token entry. I like to keep the habit, if nothing else. That said, I've had cell service each time.
  • Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, then it gets logged. For me, it is essential to keep myself honest by logging in all calories. I am more concerned about keeping track about carbs. You have to figure out what works best for you. If it stresses you too much to log on vacation, then okay to not log in. But, don't let this be considered your free ticket to blow your diet. Stay on track with nutritional goals as much as possible and be mindful of what you are eating when not logging... Stay strong!