Silly things I do to hit 10,000 steps a day

Options

Replies

• bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Got my lovely wife one for xmas... when i was researching them(had no clue what a fitbit was) i decided i needed one myself... started the day after X-mas... could barely get the 10 k in...60 days later i average just over 15 k per day with a 20k best day....dropped 30 pounds since then... i park in the last spot as far away form which ever store i go to.... i have been known to walk laps around a parking lot if i'm short on steps ...walk laps in walmart or the mall if the weather is not favorable to walking outside... and yes ... i have walked laps around the house when no one is looking to get my steps in...look forward to getting the mail...1500' driveway to the box... look forward to taking the trash out, the dog for a walk.taking the groceries up stairs, leaving bags in the car knowing i could take more just to got up and down the stairs one more time... it truly has turned into a game and has motivated me to keep going. I LOVE MY FITBIT!!!!
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I take the trash out more often than necessary and walk just a little further than my puppy wants to go. I park way far away from the front door in parking lots.
  • mandiegold941
    mandiegold941 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So many good ideas. I work from home, which makes getting steps in really hard. I should walk in place more.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It used to be when I went grocery shopping I’d park fairly close to the front doors. No more. Now I find a spot in the back end of the Jewel parking lot and walk in. That alone usually gets me my 10,000 steps since I shop at Meijer, and the Meijer store is about 3 miles away.
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm literally walking in circles around my house while typing this on my phone to get steps
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I take advantage of every time I have to wait for something - grocery store line, doctors office, pumping gas ... heck I even step in place at church before the service starts! I will also march in place when I watch television or cooking dinner.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I walk briskly wround my house after breakfat until I get 2000-3000 steps.

Being less efficient:
    I put one dish away at a time instead of carrying a bunch a once.
    I hang up laundry to dry and get the clothes from the basket or machine one at a time and walk to the line with it.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I work in a 2 story office. I offer to be the runner of things all day.
    But I will climb my stairs before bed until reach a nice multiple of 5. Usually 15.
    I will walk while brushing my teeth, walk in place while I cook. Walk the baby vs rocking. Walk around my table while kids do homework. Walk my long entry way back and forth.

When Im picking up around the house I will get one thing at a time to put away, go back for another, then another. Ill serve one kid a plate and walk back to get the 2nd. I WILL reach my step goal DAMMIT!
    I have a problem.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    zezelryck wrote: »
    I've heard some of you afix your fitbit to your dogs when out are walking then let them off the leash lol (I of course don't have a dog) ;)

Haha I was going to jokingly say I do something like that, but the truth is that I don't even have a dog. :smile:

Tried with cat, not as effective.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't do the walking in place thing because to me that feels like cheating. :)
    But taking the dog on extra long walks when my step count is a little low is my method of choice. And I also take the extra long way everywhere now, walk all the way to the end of the train platform and then back at my destination etc. I wish I had time to go on a walk during my lunch break, there is a lovely 2.6 mile loop but I'm just always too busy. One day I will do it.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Got my lovely wife one for xmas... when i was researching them(had no clue what a fitbit was) i decided i needed one myself... started the day after X-mas... could barely get the 10 k in...60 days later i average just over 15 k per day with a 20k best day....dropped 30 pounds since then... i park in the last spot as far away form which ever store i go to.... i have been known to walk laps around a parking lot if i'm short on steps ...walk laps in walmart or the mall if the weather is not favorable to walking outside... and yes ... i have walked laps around the house when no one is looking to get my steps in...look forward to getting the mail...1500' driveway to the box... look forward to taking the trash out, the dog for a walk.taking the groceries up stairs, leaving bags in the car knowing i could take more just to got up and down the stairs one more time... it truly has turned into a game and has motivated me to keep going. I LOVE MY FITBIT!!!!

Awesome!

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You know when you have those senior moments when you get halfway up the stairs and realise you've forgotten something and have to turn round? Yeah, well now if that happens to me, I carry on up the stairs to the top and then turn round. Gotta get those floors in somehow.
  • NemEhes
    NemEhes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have an assigned parking spot at my job that is closer to the building and I can't get in much walking during the day. I did hit 11,000 steps one day at work and my students said I looked like a hamster on a wheel running around my super tiny classroom. I stopped after that... lol
  • jasonmears75
    jasonmears75 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 5000 steps before 9am most days. I'm lucky enough to have a job where I'm in my feet a lot. Average about 17,000 sets a day without trying. Going up and down stairs for 20 min is a decent cardio plus get some good cal burning steps in. 4000 steps take no time at all when doing stairs.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I work in a mini office accross the street from the actual company. Instead of just cutting through traffic and walking across the street, I like to walk to the end of the block, through the cross walk, and back over to the main building whenever I have to go to the other side. The other office girls make fun of me a bit but it's worth the extra 3-400 steps I think.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I go to the bathroom that is farthest away from where I am!
  • WordWhisperer
    WordWhisperer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My husband and I work in the same office. We have a lottery for the parking spaces closest to the door. He told me he was going to buy a bunch of extra tickets for me since I'm the last one in the office every day, and I'm currently struggling with plantar fasciitis.

I begged him not to. I relish that spot farthest from the door, even with the danged foot acting up.

He thinks I'm crazy. I think he's right.

Please don't tell him that sometimes I forget my lunch in the car on purpose just so I can count those 500 steps again.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily hit 10K a day.... but.... I play a lot of games on my computer. Every 15 minutes I go up and down my 2 flights of stairs 5x. There are days I do 50 flights of stairs.
  • brittanykfolsom
    brittanykfolsom Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm so glad to know that I'm not crazy lol. I also have a Fitbit Charge HR. I am a nurse but work in a mental health facility that is much like a doctor's office. I can usually get about 5k steps in while at work (sometimes more) When I get home and am really trying to get my steps in I will get on the treadmill, dance with my 1 yo daughter, crawl on the floor with her (which surprisingly counts as steps lol) and I also run in place next to the bed/shower to get in my steps lol.

One day she was fighting an afternoon nap so I asked if she wanted to ride in her little tikes car. She went and got in and I started pushing her around the house...from the living room, around the kitchen island, to the dining room, the hall, back to the living room. We made it an obstacle course and did this for about 30 minutes. She fell asleep about 20 minutes in lol. I got in quite a few steps during that little trip.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Think the idea of 10,000 a day is more big chunks of steps as in a long walk etc as your getting a workout compared to jogging for a minute on the spot or quick walk to your rooms
    Getting slightly out of breath is better than 1000 x small 100 step walks a day

And yet, doing little chunks is working for her...and works for me all day every day too.....go figure.....