Silly things I do to hit 10,000 steps a day

Options
Hi. I've been a member of MFP forever but never really wrote on the message boards (I do check out success stories though). I am currently trying to lost 30 pounds and one of my main goals is to take 10,000 steps a day to help with this. (I working on my CICO and I'm also doing JM's online program so I do circuits 4X and cardio 1X a week).

Anyway, I just thought I'd ask what you do to hit 10,000 steps. Here's what I do (I use a Fitbit HR to track):

I jog in place in my work bathroom while waiting for the water to warm up to wash my hands
I carry my laundry from my bedroom to the laundry room in small portions so I have to make more trips
I listen to three songs in a row and jog/walk in place at my desk while they're playing (about 3X a day)
I dance to You tube with my daughter after work (and before I work out <- it's a warm up).

Am I the only crazy person who does this kind of thing? :)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I go down five flights of stairs at work anytime I need to use the bathroom or fill up my water bottle, even though I can do both of those things on my floor.

If I'm close to a good round number at bedtime, I will jog in place until I get there.
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I'm close to a good round number at bedtime, I will jog in place until I get there.

I do the same thing!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Think the idea of 10,000 a day is more big chunks of steps as in a long walk etc as your getting a workout compared to jogging for a minute on the spot or quick walk to your rooms
    Getting slightly out of breath is better than 1000 x small 100 step walks a day
  • toddmcarter
    toddmcarter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I can do laps around the inside of my house and do so regularly after the kids go to bed to get up to 10k. I also take the long way around the office to use the bathroom or to get water/coffee.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Think the idea of 10,000 a day is more if big chunks of steps as in a long walk etc as your getting my a workout compared to jogging fur a minute on the spot it a quick walk to your rooms
    Getting slightly out of breath is better than 1000 x small 100 step walks a day

OK. Not sure how that relates to this thread, but whatever works for you. :/
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I have a One (so it's clipped to my torso instead of on my wrist) so if I'm close to a round number and want to get there before bed I do calf raises and/or have a bedroom dance party to get there.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I put the dishes away one dish at a time. Carry the laundry in small loads to the bedroom. A lot of things like that, when before I would try and get as much as possible at one time.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I used to take the short way everywhere. Now I take the long way!

I park far out in the lot (also has the advantage of preventing door dings).

I use bathrooms at work that are farther away.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I pace back and forth in front of the microwave at work while heating something. I will also do laps around the hallways a couple times a day or take the really long way back to my office from the bathroom.
  • sdbernier
    Options
    I used to take the short way everywhere. Now I take the long way!

I park far out in the lot (also has the advantage of preventing door dings).

I park far out as well and my co-workers used to think I was crazy but they're used to it now. Not so much fun when it's pouring! :)
  • Nildail
    Nildail Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Once when I was coming up short, I walked laps up/down my 100+ foot driveway at 11:30 at night.
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've done everything. Multiple trips with laundry piles, pace through the house, jog in place, walk around my house at night (inside and outside), multiple trips to copier at work, walk around the upper deck of my kids basketball games, pace in circles in a lobby. My wife thinks I need to find a rehab facility that deals with # of daily steps disorder!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Nildail wrote: »
    Once when I was coming up short, I walked laps up/down my 100+ foot driveway at 11:30 at night.

The visual I got... :D
  • sdbernier
    Options
    zgiarc wrote: »
    My wife thinks I need to find a rehab facility that deals with # of daily steps disorder!

Do they have one of these?
  • zgiarc
    Options
    sdbernier wrote: »
    My wife thinks I need to find a rehab facility that deals with # of daily steps disorder!

Do they have one of these?

I don't think so, but with snow and ice in my world today I'm sure my wife will do some serious Google searching tonight as I pace around the living room! :smiley:
  • sdbernier
    Options
    I actually forgot - I once jogged around the JC Penney parking lot for 15 minutes because I was so close to my goal. When I got back to my car, I realized I was still 200 steps short, so I jogged around my vehicle with my sister and kids in the car! :blush:
  • zgiarc
    Options
    sdbernier wrote: »
    I actually forgot - I once jogged around the JC Penney parking lot for 15 minutes because I was so close to my goal. When I got back to my car, I realized I was still 200 steps short, so I jogged around my vehicle with my sister and kids in the car! :blush:

This one wins! But I love the commitment!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Ooh, I forgot about doing step-ups at the bowling alley during league. I wanted to get my 10,000 in, and so between my turns I was doing step-ups on the three steps between the bowling area and the tables. I was getting lots of weird looks and questions that night! LOL
  • sdbernier
    Options
    Ooh, I forgot about doing step-ups at the bowling alley during league. I wanted to get my 10,000 in, and so between my turns I was doing step-ups on the three steps between the bowling area and the tables. I was getting lots of weird looks and questions that night! LOL

That's too funny! :smiley:
  • sdbernier
    Options
    This one wins! But I love the commitment!

Thanks, I think :) My sister just shook her head but I'm sure the other customers were wondering what I was doing running around the parking lot at closing time!